210 gallon restart after outbreak

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, after a few months of leaving my tank empty i've finally had time to start all over again. this outbreak almost made me quit since it all happened so suddenly, friend bought me a surprise fish, an orange shoulder tang, dropped it directly in the tank. everything died in 2 days saved a mandarin. moved him to a nano tank he got very fat since ive got so many copepods reproducing there, though had to give him away to another friend since i wanted to tear down the nano too (algae issue from a vacation). after gathering some new equipment ive finally decided to start again. so heres more about the tank:
- 205 x 65 x 60 cm
- ive started it with dead rock and nsw, though wanted to continue water changes with the aquaforest salt
- the overflow decided to leak so i had to drain it while i worked it out, finally able to get water in it a few days later.
- im in the process of cycling, i use the table shrimp method, i dropped 2 shrimp in there and ammonia raised to 0.25 at day 3, next day it dropped back to 0 no smell, nothing. 2-3 days later shrimp was all gone. i added more just in case something was wrong and still, nothing, until now. ammonia not raising.
so thats what has been going on with this build. pictures going up soon. in the process of quarantining a 3 inch foxface (traumatized from the last outbreak).

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Cycle complete you think? I guess if you used old cycled wet rock from a couple of months ago it is done. I have found that my cycles are short even when I use rock that has just stayed wet in a tub, and notheing else. Best of luck, and post the pictures.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Cycle complete you think? I guess if you used old cycled wet rock from a couple of months ago it is done. I have found that my cycles are short even when I use rock that has just stayed wet in a tub, and notheing else. Best of luck, and post the pictures.
not sure if its complete yet, although every ammonia i put in there just disappear the next day, the fish still in quarantine anyway, so no fish in there just yet. thinking about turning the lights on and getting the inverts ive been quarantining in there

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB15D44D-BE9B-484D-A5BB-08A0C2C4B870.jpeg

it has 2 gyre 350s as wavemakers, it is the border between the hall and garage with a 10 foot paludarium beside it, Wanted to replace them both with a full reef tank covering it but that could get very costly and since the paludarium is doing too well to teardown:). Thinking of covering the back of the tank, or would this look better. I wanted to replace the lid to cover the waterline. Lights not on yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back