270 Finally Going UP

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been meaning to start this for a while and have been postponing it. Since I had knee surgery yesterday and have a lot of new found couch time, I figured I dont have any more excuses. So I will list everything that I have for now

Main Tank: 72"L X 36"W X 24"H 270 gallons
Sump: 72"L X 18"W X 21"H 125 gallons
Fuge: 48"L X 18"W X 21"H 75 gallons
Apex Controller
Eheim 1262 main return pump
Eheim 1250 fuge return pump
OM 4 way powered by a Reeflo Hammerhead
Tunze 6305 *Looking for a second* will be ran on the Apex
LED lighting (LFL) lights from Luke at reeffiltration....amazing by the way
200 lbs of nice looking mixed LR
SWC 300A I love the Askoll/Laguna pump.
2 Drews Dosers pumps for 2 part (once it gets more crowded I might hook up a Cal RX)
BRS dual reactor for carbon
Tunze Power Magnet 220.55 (cleaning magnet)
K3 for fuge flow
T5 lighting for fuge (macro tank)

I will post some pics tomorrow when I get the lights hung. I got most of the equipment in yesterday so I havent had a chance to play with it all. Hopefully I will be able to get off the couch tomorrow to play with the toys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has finally filled with water(fresh). I will be adding the salt tomorrow after I fix a small plumbing leak. Then I will begin the long process of cycling. I still have to skin the stand and put the trim on it. Def need some suggestions there. Also would love suggestions for stock list. I love tangs, anthias, and wrasses. I was thinking about 10 dispars to start off with, maybe even some blue/green chromis. I figured these would be a great start, of course after the long cycle.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will def take a couple tomorrow. The rockwork is open on the left and right side, but the center is kind of like a hollow tree trunk. I love my fish and wanted them to have a safe haven.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice tank, who's the builder? Now get off the couch and post some pictures. LOL

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midwest Custom Aquariums is the builder. I will post some in the morning. I want to put the lights up so I can see in there. The water is still a little murky from the sand. I also need to hook up the return pump so I can get the skimmer to filtrate it a little. Maybe run some carbon too.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couply of teaser pics. I am still trying to fix a leak on the intake of the hammerhead plumbing. Hopefully I will get it fixed tomorrow so I can start filtrating the water. Its still a little cloudy since I put some high salinity water in today and the 6305 is kicking up silt from the sand. Just a couple though to get some ideas kicking around.

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0664.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0666.jpg

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquascape looks great! Have you put any thought into how you plan on skinning the stand?

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquascape looks great! Have you put any thought into how you plan on skinning the stand?

Thank you. I have just bought the wood (birch) but still undecided. I look at threads almost everyday, and have tons of ideas but nothing set in stone yet. I will start that as soon as I get the salinity right and that leak fixed. I am def open to ideas.

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking scape and really nice rock. What type is the rock? Looking forward to seeing the progress.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its mostly Gap Island Rock. The middle is BRS shelf rock, and some Fiji. Still trying to get the salinity right. Got to go get some 3/4" for the return plumbing tomorrow. Tank is coming along nicely though and cant wait to get all the equipment on.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Luke. I wanted it all to be open but I felt the fish needed some hiding room so I built that middle. It is hollowed out in the middle except for one rock that has an arrow through it and it holds all the rocks around it up. Now I need to stop being a pansy with this leg and go hang those lights.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of more pics. I wanted to start the cycle of the tank while I continue with the rest of the tank. I always hated that I finished everything first then started the cycle, becuase you have to wait and do nothing for a month. Anyway here is the only way I have ever cycled a tank.

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the skimmer and a little bit of the equipment. I havent put the good stuff on yet. After this the skimmer started going nuts too, guessing because of the shrimp.

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back