29 Gallon Running on Canister. Need Help

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up for about 3 years. I got my first corals this summer, and they are doing great. My problems started in September, when school started. I haven't been able to give my tank the attention it needs. I've kept up on water changes, but I've missed a couple too. My tank is doing ok for the most part, but the back glass is covered in algae. The reason it's covered in algae is because of my horrific Nitrate situation. My Nitrates are around 30 ppm and I cannot seem to get them down. I only feed every other day, and I'm not a "generous" feeder. I'll feed my corals maybe once a week, if that. The weird thing is, my corals are thriving! I've never seen so much growth in my tank before, but I would like to get my nitrates down. Has anyone ever ran a tank without a skimmer? If so, how did you keep your nitrates in check?

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 ppm nitrates isn’t that high imo. I would just get more clean up crew to eat the algae. Also, make sure you keep up on cleaning the canister filter, since they can become nitrate factories if not maintained.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to do a water change. I do one every 3 months from my sump and dose. My nitrates and phosphates are close to 0 which isn't good either.

I had ran a 36 and then a 90g on a Fluval FX 6 canister. What is important with a canister is to clean it once a week.

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now since you didn't keep up with it....I don't know how bad it is...it's all relative. Here is a quick video. Your 30 nitrates may be higher since the algea is consuming the nitrates in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back