3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't getting any traffic in the Cube section, so I figured I would move to where the Nano peeps hang out.

FTS: 11/01/2016

30683187946_85394677c8_c.jpg

Specs:

UNS 30Q

NanoBox Mini Tide

3 Stage Canister Filter

(floss / carbon - purigen / Seachem Matrix)

Hydor 200w inline Heater

Smart ATO Micro w/ Avast Marine Diaphram Pump

Sand : Tropic Eden Meso Flakes

Salt : AquaVitro Salinity

Livestock: critters

Coral: eventually

OP
OP
3lusive

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to keep the look as minimal as possible when it comes to equipment. I had the idea of using my Smart Micro for top-off, but that required the sensor being in the display. Most wouldn't have a huge issue with that, but then you also run into issues of it not functioning properly due to surface agitation, and having direct light shining down on the sensor. To combat this I would have to make a cover for the sensor which would be an eyesore. Then you also have the cables, and water line running up the back side of the tank, again ... EYESORE

SO

I made this :

30641752622_ebe2b80e80_c.jpg

30758339475_d2be51a1fd_c.jpg

30641750082_f7ebab25a2_c.jpg

The Avast pump is on a toggle and the top-off water is injected into the supply line under the tank. It's obviously a job that has to be done maunally, but having the pump plumbed it makes it pretty simple. I have a mark on the back seam that helps me know when to stop the pump and keeping the water level consistent.

I may eventually add the micro to this system, but I need to figure out the how I want to conceal it first.

OP
OP
3lusive

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

What are your thoughts on the build quality of the UNS tank?

Build quality is amazing. Glass is by far the clearest I have ever seen , and the mitered edges hide the silicone joints really well. Glass alignment is spot on as well.

As far as an update goes , I had a massive algae explosion due to an issue with my top off water, and there were a few issues with plumbing that needed to be fixed. So I took care of that and then my busy time at work hit and the tank basically took a back seat. It is still running , and the algae is finally gone, so I will start stocking it soon.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the yellow spot scorp? Always wanted one and found one at a decent price.
How has it been to feed?

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically running the same set up on my 56 gallon. I've have the same canister, was looking at either getting the avast ATO or auto Aqua smart ATO. Does the avast work pretty well? Also would love to see an updated FTS :D

Also nice way to conceal the tubes from the filter and the ATO sensor would be to use a Ocean Box Designs magnetic Overflow box, check out their site. I used this on my last tank and am getting a custom built one for my current set up.

Lastly how is your canister set up? I have the same one as I mentioned before but I run the intake / outtake tubes into the tank, is yours drilled?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
3lusive

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back from the dead.

A friend on another forum found a killer deal on 12x12 stands on Amazon for only $50, so i jumped on it. Unfortunately they seem to be $50 for a reason. The hardware that comes with them isn't enough to even complete the build, and even if they provided the proper amount its all cheap crap.

SO

I drilled for pocket screws, and added some wood glue, and I am much happier with it. I also have a custom overflow coming from Oceanbox Designs, can't wait for that to arrive.

Here is a pic of the stand, trying to decide between paint, or a matte clear coat:

stand 1.jpg

stand 2.jpg

More to come soon !

OP
OP
3lusive

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically running the same set up on my 56 gallon. I've have the same canister, was looking at either getting the avast ATO or auto Aqua smart ATO. Does the avast work pretty well? Also would love to see an updated FTS :D

Also nice way to conceal the tubes from the filter and the ATO sensor would be to use a Ocean Box Designs magnetic Overflow box, check out their site. I used this on my last tank and am getting a custom built one for my current set up.

Lastly how is your canister set up? I have the same one as I mentioned before but I run the intake / outtake tubes into the tank, is yours drilled?

Sorry for the extremely late reply.

The ATO on this tank is currently set up as a manual top off. The Avast pump is just their diaphram pump on a DJ switch panel that I manually turn on/off as needed.

As stated above, I have ordered an overflow from Oceanbox that I may or may not end up using. If I do use it, the ATO sensor will be hidden inside and that is where all of the evaporation will end up taking place. If I decide not to use it, then I will continue with the ATO as it is currently set up.

The tank is drilled on the bottom glass for both the intake / return . I wanted it to appear as if it were just a stand alone box of water (which is why I am still debating on the use of the overflow box)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back