3D Printing thread

SixNix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom cages
639664bae76c49a32320f25366146144.jpg

HY m8, do you have the STL file for print ?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made this to hold the top wood trim up of my inwall frame (not done yet) Video will explain all:

Looks like a nice, solid design. I have to ask, that gap you opened is quite small - is it just to put in food? I can't see what else can really be done with that gap?

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting to try one. What did they say was the reason to give it away?

He said some of the sensors were bad.

Wiped the sensors down with IPA and they work fine.

The real reason was that he spilt a bunch of resin inside the machine. That was considerably difficult to clean out.

I actually don't like this machine. I have had a couple sla printers before but I can't find much work for them so the cost is never justified. This machine is locked to formlabs slicing software, Preform.

You can run the machine in open mode so you don't have to use their $150/L resin but you can't modify any settings. Your only option is to choose between their pre loaded profiles and hope one of them is the right settings for the 3rd party resin you are using.

With my other SLA printers, wanhao D7 and Peopoly Moai, you can create custom resin profiles just like most FDM printers.

I know this makes me sound like a prick but I regret getting it. It's more hassle than it's worth, I'd rather sell it and buy a $500 sla that I have full control over but I would feel ****** selling something I got for free and only took an hour to fix.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, he didn't want to sell it to someone and have them come back later demanding a refund because it didn't work.

He used it to make casting prints for jewelry and said the machine paid for itself.

He wasn't a tinkerer, just an end user.

20200218_174408.jpg

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, he didn't want to sell it to someone and have them come back later demanding a refund because it didn't work.

He used it to make casting prints for jewelry and said the machine paid for itself.

He wasn't a tinkerer, just an end user.

20200218_174408.jpg
IMO if that is the case, don't feel bad selling it at all. He got his use out of it, knew he couldn't / shouldn't sell it and he didn't have the skills and/or time fix it so he happily gave it away. You used your expertise and time to fix it, so if you aren't going to use it then don't feel bad selling it :) Consider what you sell it for payment for the time you spent fixing it :)

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing and selling broken stuff is how I funded my reefing addiction for years. Also, parting out systems I bought and keeping what I needed.

Eventually got into servicing commercial tanks and trading trimmed corals for store credit.

Anyhow, the form 2 is working out really well with ApplyLabWork resins. One tray I got is completely shot but I can replace the silicon layer. Other tray is in rough shape but works well enough.

Here's the 10mm sla calibration cube. Printed with the wrong profile and at 100micron (0.1mm). Not bad.

20200225_213819.jpg 20200225_214004.jpg 20200225_214047.jpg

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered selling it, turns out there isn't much of a market for these printers in used condition. Most businesses don't want to deal with used equipment (can't imagine why) to save a few hundred. The Form 3 is already out.

Hobbyists would rather grab an LCD printer for $250. LCD resin is cheaper too.

It's been a long time since I had my Beta testing Wanhao D7 but I don't remember there being different kinds of resins.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently replaced my 60 gallon sump with a Rubbermaid 150 gallon. My 60 gallon was plumbed with 2” PVC, so I figured I would do the new sump in 3” PVC. Problem is nobody makes a 3” inlet strainer. I contacted Brent at Barr Aquatics and he 3D printed me up this gem. Perfect for keeping snails and such out of my pumps. I will say, the 3” is absolute overkill, but at least I will never outflow it.
DB7D26CA-D4E8-443B-9B9D-FC53FE94048D.jpeg

and here it is in the sump
DBA6246D-055C-4866-9458-062C1D54B293.jpeg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after 56 pages....is Ender 3 Pro a sufficient starting point for someone whom has pretty much zero knowledge of 3D printing and 3D modeling? I guess my biggest fear is that it'll be so overwhelming that I'll ditch it and I would rather lose out on $250 than $700 for something like a Prusa, which at the same time would probably be easier thus less likely to become frustrating...a little bit of catch 22. I'm not really trying to make anything intricate, just little PSU mounts, probe/sensor mounts....

I guess I would primarily print stuff others already made a model for and at the same time learn basic use of SketchUP/Fusion and Cura?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back