3D Printing thread

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, sorry for the slow response, I wasn't getting notifications on this thread for some reason.
Here is what I am looking at. Most of these dimensions can be modified to make life easier on your side if needed.

The only two things I can change are the inside shaft diameter (has to fit the shaft of the motor I have) and the shaft length can be not shorter than specified (again to maintain clearance give the motor in hand).

Looking forward to your thoughts.
NewSPec.PNG
There's some measurements missing so I took some liberties like placement of the threaded holes and the stop for the shaft. Here's what I got

OoeSCt2l.jpg

Sx2Ke12l.jpg

mebfs59l.jpg

Eo60OyRl.jpg

Xfaq2Wql.jpg

PM me your email address and I can send you the .stl so you can print it out...

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that looks solid, but I don't have a printer. Was hoping one of you fine folds might be willing to print a few for me, at at a cost of course..

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that looks solid, but I don't have a printer. Was hoping one of you fine folds might be willing to print a few for me, at at a cost of course..
Does the threaded holes have to line up with anything? and the stop for the shaft dictates pulley alignment. Are those measurements critical for your use??

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the threaded holes have to line up with anything? and the stop for the shaft dictates pulley alignment. Are those measurements critical for your use??

Really appreciate your time here.
This what I am working with. Threaded holes would need to line up with the flats of the shaft.

74CAEA06-FEC4-4DB7-B874-3F99D77F4DEA.jpeg

When you say “the stop for the shaft” do mean where it physically wont spin any more? If so, no I’ll be able to work out alignment.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, sorry for the slow response, I wasn't getting notifications on this thread for some reason.
Here is what I am looking at. Most of these dimensions can be modified to make life easier on your side if needed.

The only two things I can change are the inside shaft diameter (has to fit the shaft of the motor I have) and the shaft length can be not shorter than specified (again to maintain clearance give the motor in hand).

Looking forward to your thoughts.
NewSPec.PNG

This is printable, with some concerns:

- Threaded in prints is a not going to work from a direct print perspective. You can undersize, and run a tap through them (but it will fail) or look for a press insert (better)
- I'd recommend printing it so the layers run through the pulley (put the face to the bed), or else you're likely to chew up any of the belts.

What are you driving with this?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what I am working with. Threaded holes would need to line up with the flats of the shaft.

When you say “the stop for the shaft” do mean where it physically wont spin any more? If so, no I’ll be able to work out alignment.

If the shaft has two flats, I'd just look for press fitting it on (print a hole to match the shaft).

Do you have calipers or a way to measure that?

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the shaft has two flats, I'd just look for press fitting it on (print a hole to match the shaft).

Do you have calipers or a way to measure that?

I hadn't thought of that, but I really like that idea. Driving it with that worm gear motor pictured above.
There will be two of them that I am using to raise my canopy when needed. I have calipers somewhere. I'll get sharp measurements on it tomorrow.

Will be spooling a line similar to fishing line, but much thicker. Will only take 3 rotations max to reach the lift height I am looking for a with a 2.5" pitch diameter.

Cheers.
C

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah that makes more sense, do you have a profile view of that shaft? I thought that the 5/16 measurement was a stop, in fact it acts as a spline for the shaft, so I changed the cad a bit. Now that I see what it goes on, I can beef up the parts for the threads. depending on rotational speed and how tight you have to torque the set screws, 3d print might not be the best choice.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't thought of that, but I really like that idea. Driving it with that worm gear motor pictured above.
There will be two of them that I am using to raise my canopy when needed. I have calipers somewhere. I'll get sharp measurements on it tomorrow.

Will be spooling a line similar to fishing line, but much thicker. Will only take 3 rotations max to reach the lift height I am looking for a with a 2.5" pitch diameter.

Cheers.
C
Ahh, I see. if you're spooling wire, I would change the flange a bit, get rid of the 40 degree taper and tailor it to the thickness of the line.

Similar to this:

mO0wcG8l.jpg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that makes more sense, do you have a profile view of that shaft? I thought that the 5/16 measurement was a stop, in fact it acts as a spline for the shaft, so I changed the cad a bit. Now that I see what it goes on, I can beef up the parts for the threads. depending on rotational speed and how tight you have to torque the set screws, 3d print might not be the best choice.

Lifting something has heavy as a canopy on wire would be a challenge for the lifetime of a 3d printed part, especially printing with the layers going the way I initially mentioned due to the shear strength between the layers is the weakest portion.

I'd get someone to turn it on a lathe out of whatever they have on hand personally - whats the lifting weight we are talking about?

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be something to look into, though harder to find someone that has those tools probably.

Max weight is probably 30lbs and that might be very extreme. 15lbs in lights. 4x2 canopy.

I have two of these motors to do the work.
I wasn’t expecting it to be so difficult to find what I need as far as a pulley goes, but it certainly has been.
@Sisterlimonpot I’ll get some more pics and specific dims tomorrow. If nothing else, if you want to tweak that cad drawing for me, It would make life easier trying to find someone to turn a few for me.

Thanks,
Conor

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be something to look into, though harder to find someone that has those tools probably.

Max weight is probably 30lbs and that might be very extreme. 15lbs in lights. 4x2 canopy.

I have two of these motors to do the work.
I wasn’t expecting it to be so difficult to find what I need as far as a pulley goes, but it certainly has been.
@Sisterlimonpot I’ll get some more pics and specific dims tomorrow. If nothing else, if you want to tweak that cad drawing for me, It would make life easier trying to find someone to turn a few for me.

Thanks,
Conor

Just for grins, I made a rough version of the part in Fusion 360 which means you can edit it. Fusion has free personal/hobby licenses

You can drop into the sketches to adjust any dimensions.

As for lifting 15-30lbs, thats a tough stretch. The motor also would absolutely hate having 30lbs hanging on its shaft from one axis - this should probably have a secondary bearing at the other end of the pulley.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much for the feedback. AND the fusion360 hook up.
I don't need this kind of software often, but man it's frustrating not to have something cheap/free when I do.

Just to give more clarity, and in case you have a better way to skin this cat, I whipped up a quick image of my current plan.
The reason i am going this route is that i am replacing my current floating canopy. The mounts on the ceiling have been in place for quite some time and I really don't want to mess with them. So the goal is to add something to the 4 lines dropped from the ceiling that will allow me to raise the canopy a few inches when feeding and 17" when needed for maintenance.

When it is down it will be resting on the tank so no stress on the lines or motors most of the time.

Two motors, one in the front and one in the back is the current plan with pulleys in the corners.
My thought was since the motor will be forced upon equally from both sides there shouldn't be too much stress on the shaft.

NewSpec2.PNG

I am very early on in this process and the motors I purchased were surprisingly inexpensive so I am all ears if you have a a better idea. This is a long term solution for my relatively new custom tank, so i am not trying to cut any corners.

Cheers,
Conor

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could probably turn something up on my lathe, either out brass or aluminum. it would be quite a bit stronger than FDM produced plastic i imagine, and it would be easy to thread.

i have a small lathe and i believe i have some 1" or 7/8" stock material. i could make a pulley that utilizes more of your motor shaft's length, but the small diameter would mean more turns to do what you want it to do.

let me know if you're interested. maybe someone with a bigger lathe can make what you designed out of 3" aluminum stock too.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could probably turn something up on my lathe, either out brass or aluminum. it would be quite a bit stronger than FDM produced plastic i imagine, and it would be easy to thread.

i have a small lathe and i believe i have some 1" or 7/8" stock material. i could make a pulley that utilizes more of your motor shaft's length, but the small diameter would mean more turns to do what you want it to do.

let me know if you're interested. maybe someone with a bigger lathe can make what you designed out of 3" aluminum stock too.

Jealous, always wanted one, only have space for a mill ;)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much for the feedback. AND the fusion360 hook up.
I don't need this kind of software often, but man it's frustrating not to have something cheap/free when I do.

Just to give more clarity, and in case you have a better way to skin this cat, I whipped up a quick image of my current plan.
The reason i am going this route is that i am replacing my current floating canopy. The mounts on the ceiling have been in place for quite some time and I really don't want to mess with them. So the goal is to add something to the 4 lines dropped from the ceiling that will allow me to raise the canopy a few inches when feeding and 17" when needed for maintenance.

When it is down it will be resting on the tank so no stress on the lines or motors most of the time.

Two motors, one in the front and one in the back is the current plan with pulleys in the corners.
My thought was since the motor will be forced upon equally from both sides there shouldn't be too much stress on the shaft.

NewSpec2.PNG

I am very early on in this process and the motors I purchased were surprisingly inexpensive so I am all ears if you have a a better idea. This is a long term solution for my relatively new custom tank, so i am not trying to cut any corners.

Cheers,
Conor

This helps clarify the stresses, thanks!

I'd so run wild with the print, except in cases where it may cause injury (e.g., lifting with people under it), which gives me pause. I'd hate to see the canopy drop on someone while working on the tank.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i just might take you up on this. Going to play around with fusion (and my calipers) and will go from there.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so here is what I came up with. Since I think I might be paying a shop to do this, I went all out.

I don't feel I can work with a 1" max diameter unfortunately. Just not enough material to get shaft and flanges etc in there.

So if anyone does think they can rock this out with aluminum, let me know. Or if anyone knows an online shop I could send this off for a quote on, that would be appreciated as well.

Call outs in mm, ended up being more precise after busting out the calipers.

Critique away:

Fusion Files

Pulley.PNG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back