55 Gallon Predator tank

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I am looking to start over with my tank since I only have a powder blue tang that I will be selling soon so I thought I would do a small predator tank. I have been doing some research and I have chosen to do a zoanthid garden coral-wise so there will be palytoxins so I need some hardy fish. I know that I am getting a fuzzy dwarf lionfish but was wondering if the following short list is too many fish for such a small tank that will have a zoa garden in it... Fuzzy dwarf lionfish, snowflake eel, porcupine puffer, longnose hawkfish, niger trigger. I know that the puffer may not do well with the corals but they are supposed to be monitored with corals so I am willing to take my chances with it! I also am aware that eels are escape artists and I will be getting a screen top. I have done my research on each of the animals listed, I am just wondering if it is too much for a 55 gallon tank?? Thanks!!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger Trigger is not going to work sorry, recommendation is 180 gallons. :(

A Porcupine Puffer and possibly the Dwarf Lion will make short order of the Hawkfish. Puffer is another fish that needs a much larger tank as they get very large and are not reef friendly.

Palytoxins, really only come into play when a hobbyist is fragging them, or causing tissue damage/stress. It will not affect the fish nor will it inhabit a zoanthid eating fish from eating them.

Sincerely not trying to discourage you but I think you need to take a different route with the tank. Predators are big eaters and produce a lot of waste, which leads to a decline in water quality.

You could try the Eel and some Damsels, Clowns, Bassletts. Or you could go with the Dwarf Lion and those same fish types listed.

You could try an BTA and Clown type system. Any number of soft corals are easy to keep.

Do some window shopping and research at:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/244/?pcatid=244

HTH :)

OP
OP
K

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger Trigger is not going to work sorry, recommendation is 180 gallons. :(

A Porcupine Puffer and possibly the Dwarf Lion will make short order of the Hawkfish. Puffer is another fish that needs a much larger tank as they get very large and are not reef friendly.

Palytoxins, really only come into play when a hobbyist is fragging them, or causing tissue damage/stress. It will not affect the fish nor will it inhabit a zoanthid eating fish from eating them.

Sincerely not trying to discourage you but I think you need to take a different route with the tank. Predators are big eaters and produce a lot of waste, which leads to a decline in water quality.

You could try the Eel and some Damsels, Clowns, Bassletts. Or you could go with the Dwarf Lion and those same fish types listed.

You could try an BTA and Clown type system. Any number of soft corals are easy to keep.

Do some window shopping and research at:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/244/?pcatid=244

HTH :)
I totally knew that the trigger wouldn't work. meant to list a different trigger lol! Could I just do an eel and lionfish and then some other aggressive fish??

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not Trigger that I know of that is appropriate for a 55 gallon tank. Buying a small fish and thinking you're going to upgrade when the fish out grows the tank is not ideal or practical.

Take a look around at the link below for everything Lion Fish related, it's an excellent resource.

https://www.lionfishlair.com/

I have kept Dwarf Moray Eels ( I know the Snow Flake is not a Dwarf) and the novelty quickly wears off for most newer hobbyist.

Again look at Liveaquaria.com for basic husbandry information.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I will caution with a fuzzy dwarf is that they will eat any fish they can fit in their mouth.

I had one for quite some time and he was so full of personality!! He would beg for food and squirt water at me.

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if u went a different route maybe like a valentini puffer, Toby puffer (blue spotted, there are others) Dwarf angels, like a coral beauty, bicolor angel, Rusty Angel) , maybe midas blenny, some basslets, triggers do like their swimming space (180g) - i would not recommend the eel, just thinking long term, they get monstrous in size, can become dangerous to feed, also very heavy bioload on the tank.

Browsing through a retailer's library of fish/live stock is a great idea, you might get re inspired to take a different route for your size tank.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1CEA7631-1305-44F0-9225-BB9BF00761BA.jpeg
Here’s a unique predator, very stylish, loves dirty water, high nitrates no problem, feed 2 X / week, and eats almost anything, sorry no dry foods yet.......Tiger toadfish in a 60 gal 6-7” long. This fish is the larger of 2, a Grouper, Queen Conchs,5, and a Blue Claw Crab, the crab would eat the Zoas.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a good friend that has a long nose hawkfish in his predator tank (240 gallon) along with a spiny puffer. The puffer is a bit more than a foot long, and has never bothered the hawkfish.

There are small predatorial fish that would be fine in a 55. A warty angler springs to mind... cool critters, be fine in a 55. Dwarf lion, perhaps one of the other scorpion fishes. You can even have a puffer... as long as you stay with the Tobies rather than the larger varieties. A saddle or bluespot puffer would be fine in a 55. Maybe a small wrasse, to add a little motion and color... I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a very attractive small predator tank.

As to corals, paly and zoas, there's always a chance that something will find them worth snacking on. No reason not to try it, though. Don't spend a lot of money, but if you can get a plug of those blue-green palys that seem to grow like a weed, or some of the more common varieties of zoas, it'd be worth a try. Mushroom corals, too, might work out... I've never seen anything that would eat one. Even perhaps a cabbage leather.

Nothing wrong with your plan, except perhaps some of the fish choices you've listed. Stick with the smaller predators, I bet it'll turn out just fine.

OP
OP
K

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not Trigger that I know of that is appropriate for a 55 gallon tank. Buying a small fish and thinking you're going to upgrade when the fish out grows the tank is not ideal or practical.

Take a look around at the link below for everything Lion Fish related, it's an excellent resource.

https://www.lionfishlair.com/

I have kept Dwarf Moray Eels ( I know the Snow Flake is not a Dwarf) and the novelty quickly wears off for most newer hobbyist.

Again look at Liveaquaria.com for basic husbandry information.
I am not going to do that lol. Never wanted to. So I really only want a lionfish and puffer in the tank. Those are the top two on my list and a predator tank is the route that I want to take regardless of the tank size

OP
OP
K

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if u went a different route maybe like a valentini puffer, Toby puffer (blue spotted, there are others) Dwarf angels, like a coral beauty, bicolor angel, Rusty Angel) , maybe midas blenny, some basslets, triggers do like their swimming space (180g) - i would not recommend the eel, just thinking long term, they get monstrous in size, can become dangerous to feed, also very heavy bioload on the tank.

Browsing through a retailer's library of fish/live stock is a great idea, you might get re inspired to take a different route for your size tank.
But with such a small tank, I wouldnt be able to have many beautiful angels. I really want a lionfish and puffer. Thats what I wanted from the beginning, and I tried the community tank and found it quite boring. I would like to be a little more hands on with them and lionfish and puffers are fun to feed. Thanks for the feedback!!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I am looking to start over with my tank since I only have a powder blue tang that I will be selling soon so I thought I would do a small predator tank. I have been doing some research and I have chosen to do a zoanthid garden coral-wise so there will be palytoxins so I need some hardy fish. I know that I am getting a fuzzy dwarf lionfish but was wondering if the following short list is too many fish for such a small tank that will have a zoa garden in it... Fuzzy dwarf lionfish, snowflake eel, porcupine puffer, longnose hawkfish, niger trigger. I know that the puffer may not do well with the corals but they are supposed to be monitored with corals so I am willing to take my chances with it! I also am aware that eels are escape artists and I will be getting a screen top. I have done my research on each of the animals listed, I am just wondering if it is too much for a 55 gallon tank?? Thanks!!

The puffer and trigger will get too large if you keep them long term. A Toby puffer, the smaller ones would be a better choice. I had a predator tank and they are the best fish, but unfortunately, most get very big.

What about a Harlequin Tuskfish and a small puffer instead of the other 2? That's a gorgeous predator fish with blue teeth.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But with such a small tank, I wouldnt be able to have many beautiful angels. I really want a lionfish and puffer. Thats what I wanted from the beginning, and I tried the community tank and found it quite boring. I would like to be a little more hands on with them and lionfish and puffers are fun to feed. Thanks for the feedback!!

Predator tanks are cool but the reality is that those type of livestock get big and require plenty of swimming room, thus needing a tank of at least a 180g. A 55 is just way too small.

OP
OP
K

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The puffer and trigger will get too large if you keep them long term. A Toby puffer, the smaller ones would be a better choice. I had a predator tank and they are the best fish, but unfortunately, most get very big.

What about a Harlequin Tuskfish and a small puffer instead of the other 2? That's a gorgeous predator fish with blue teeth.
Yeah I am not getting a trigger. That was just a shot in the dark!! Ill check those out! thanks!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

125 gallons is the recommended size. Not even close.

I am not going to do that lol. Never wanted to. So I really only want a lionfish and puffer in the tank. Those are the top two on my list and a predator tank is the route that I want to take regardless of the tank size

Not going to do what?

I would like a Korean Angel but to be fair to the fish I am not going to but it in a 40 gallon no matter how bad I may want it.

Why not just get a bigger tank? You want big fish get a big tank, that seems like the logical way to proceed.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with lions, any variety, is they will eat anything that fits in their mouths. Anything even remotely shaped like a bullet will slip right down them.

Why not do a species tank? Multiple dwarf lions? Fuzzy, red, yellow...maybe throw in a fu. Then you could go with a leaf fish or two down at the bottom to spread it out some.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do bear in mind that most fish classified/considered as predatory also can get quite large and a 55g will be a temporary housing - for now

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a predator tank with some of the fish you have listed. My tank is 210 gallons now for a reason.

Fuzzy Dwarf is a big yes. Great fish. Tons of personality and very easy to keep.

Porcupine puffer, big big no in a 55. Mine is by far my favorite fish, but I originally had a 75. 6 months later I had to get a 150. 3 years later I have a 210. All because of the porky. He is very dirty and grows VERY fast. No way he will be happy for long in a 55. When they get crowded they get aggressive and nothing is badder than a puffer who can crush a shell with ease.

Snowflake eel, no in a 55. I have a dwarf golden moray. He would be happy in a 55, buy loves the 210. A snowflake geta 2-3 feet long and a couple of inches around.

Trigger, no trigger should be kept in a 55. Read above for crowded = mean.

I really like your stock list, but realistically it isn't practical. After you have a puffer you will see they are different. They are pets and you will feel terrible when they aren't happy.

This pic is one year of growth.

20180312_232320.jpg

Last edited:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 gallons is the recommended size. Not even close.

I know their "recommended" size. But a Tusk, with just a dwarf lion will do fine in a 55 if those are the only 2 fish. I've been keeping tusks since the 90's. Not to mention, I doubt the tank will be up until the fish matures to full size, which is typically 8".

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back