zbever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I am setting up my first saltwater tank. I hope to make a beautiful reef tank in the future. I am starting with my fish until I can afford to light for my coral dreams. I have been keeping fresh water for over 10 years. Right now I am working with a standard 75 gallon. I am running a 5 stage canister, two power heads, the Aquasky 2.0 light. (I have hopes of upgrading to a 55 gallon sump in the new year. By using a hang on the back overflow box and a drop in kit for an extra tank I have laying around. I also want to upgrade to 2 Kissel a360x tuna blue.) I have currently been obsessing over my stocking list and think I might have finally come to decision. I do need some help with a few decisions. I have 60 lbs of live sand, 40 lbs of live rock, I used Fritz Turbo Start last week with power ammonia to get things started. Please let me know if you think I am overstock, heading in the wrong direction, or which option you think is better!

2 Ocellaris Clowns (one normal and one black and white stripe)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Starry Blenny (Or lawnmower blenny, just thought the starry was nice)
1 Red Hawkfish (Open to suggestions of other hawkfish, but though the red would be a good color in this tank.)
1 Melanurus Wrasse (Or a sixline wrasse. I saw a melanurus in person and thought it was amazing.)
1 One spot Fox Face Rabbitfish (Will be the show piece. Could swap for a dwarf angel but I like that they eat algae.)
5 Zebra Dartfish (I really want a school was thinking chromis but have read a lot of bad things. Anthias is a bit out of my price range)

Need a clean up crew. Open to suggestions on quantity and species.
I also want a watchman and pistol strimp pair. Any suggestions on what might look good in the tank with the above fish?

I know I have a lot of questions but want to make sure I head in the right direction. I have been reading posts on this site since I began my research. I am excited to finally post!
Best Regards,
Zack

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Ocellaris Clowns (one normal and one black and white stripe)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Starry Blenny (Or lawnmower blenny, just thought the starry was nice)
1 Red Hawkfish (Open to suggestions of other hawkfish, but though the red would be a good color in this tank.)
1 Melanurus Wrasse (Or a sixline wrasse. I saw a melanurus in person and thought it was amazing.)
1 One spot Fox Face Rabbitfish (Will be the show piece. Could swap for a dwarf angel but I like that they eat algae.)
5 Zebra Dartfish (I really want a school was thinking chromis but have read a lot of bad things. Anthias is a bit out of my price range)
So, I recommend against the one spot and would swap it with the magnificent since they stay around the same size and stick to hovering more than the one spot. All the foxfaces do the same thing and IMO magnificents are the most unusual for their coloration. Mine is about 5” and I think he’ll stop at 6” since he’s not grown in a while.
63A0ADD8-BDD3-4AC9-8FE2-92CA017F215E.jpeg

Also, have you ever seen a red line wrasse in person? That is very similar to the melanurus as an adult male. I recommend against the Sixline since these can be demons unless in the right tank with more rock. I recommend going with either Halichoeres biocellatus or Halichoeres melanurus.

OP
OP
zbever

zbever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that suggestion! I saw the magnificent during my research and thought it was STUNNING. But the information I got was that they like a larger tank. Around 125gs. Do you think with my stock list I can manage everyone in a 75g?
Concerning the red line wrasse. I’ll have to give it a search. I appreciate your reply!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that suggestion! I saw the magnificent during my research and thought it was STUNNING. But the information I got was that they like a larger tank. Around 125gs. Do you think with my stock list I can manage everyone in a 75g?
Concerning the red line wrasse. I’ll have to give it a search. I appreciate your reply!
I think that your stock is doable just gotta keep up with WCs (I do mine once a week and get away with an over limits nano). I’ve just seen you want 10 fish and to me that’s the perfect Amount! I have 11 in my tank and 3 of them are rather large (one is being removed for bullying though since I want a flashing tilefish and the Jade wrasse is the big bully).
I find that my Foxface will stay around 5-6” because he’s definitely slown down in growth compared to the one I got at 1”. That thing grew to 3” in 2 years and my newer one has grown maybe 1” from 4” in 2 years possibly 1.5”, in January I’ll have had him for 3 years!!

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back