8g ULM Nano!

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Been lurking around for a few months and today I decided to join. I had a 20g LPS/Softie tank a couple years ago that I had to break down not having enough time to maintain and appreciate it.
I’m getting back into reefing with a 8g cube (12’*12’*13.8’H) running just a large HOB 200g/h filter and a 9.7w LED (12*420nm, 8*460nm, 7*8000K). I’ll add a DIY Gravity fed ATO soon.

I’ve been curing the rock for about 1.5 months and the tank has been up and running for two weeks.

The only inhabitant is a 1 inch Yellow Tail Damsel. I’ll probably add a Trochus snail in the future. I’ll stick to GSP, Xenia, Ricordea, Caulastrea, Zoanthids for corals. I’ll run the tank as a FOWLR for at least a couple months to get over the diatom bloom without needing to worry about lighting. The tank is getting lots of indirect sunlight and I’m running the LED (mostly blue) for just about an hour at this time.
Water changes after adding coral will be 15% per week with the addition of Seachem Prime and Microbacter7. I’m using the Red Sea Salt with salinity at 1025sg.

My goal with this tank is keeping it as simple as possible. I want to create something that is not time consuming so I’ll be able to enjoy it without worrying too much.

I’m open to suggestions on supplements, additives , tips and lighting schedule focused on the corals listed above. What do you think about my set up?
I’ve also bought Seachem SeaGel but I found no point in using it before adding coral.
Thanks in advance & greetings from Greece!

7E560512-7E79-4E92-8E80-EE95180BA2F3.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ULM tank and the two things I would recommend is;
1. Stick with softies- water changes are typically all you need to do to correct parameter issues, so no dosing required
2. Adding an HOB refugium with a macroalgae can help with nutrient exports.

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for welcoming me!
Here’s a half decent pic of my Chrysiptera Parasema. Besides the fact that I like his looks, I took him home because of his size. I’m trying to take from the ocean as little as I can. There were three same sized damsels in the LFS so I thought he may be captive bred. Even if that’s not the case I hope he’ll by comfortable, at least till he gets large. He’ll be the only fish in the tank, obviously.

Any name suggestions?
69607B3A-977D-4B97-816F-737A0C24F5DF.jpeg

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for welcoming me!
Here’s a half decent pic of my Chrysiptera Parasema. Besides the fact that I like his looks, I took him home because of his size. I’m trying to take from the ocean as little as I can. There were three same sized damsels in the LFS so I thought he may be captive bred. Even if that’s not the case I hope he’ll by comfortable, at least till he gets large. He’ll be the only fish in the tank, obviously.

Any name suggestions?
69607B3A-977D-4B97-816F-737A0C24F5DF.jpeg
Mr. Lonely

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm now in the process of setting up an ATO that will be able to deal with evaporation for two weeks without my intervention. I'll also set up a mixing station, preparing 4*1.2g buckets each time. This is a 15% water change every 7-10 days.

About chemical filtration, I've chosen Seagel by Seachem (MatrixCarbon + PhosGuard). I know softies like their water ''dirty'' so I'm not sure on how much of this to add. Was thinking to use the lower dosage recommended by Seachem. Any insight? Is there a chance I'm depriving my corals of valuable elements?

Adding Trace and Aminos also crossed my mind. Is there a product you'd recommend? Does it worth it? Do you think I could get away with a WC every 14 days if I'm adding trace and aminos or is it something you'd do anyway?
I've read a lot about this, but I don't seem to be able to come to a conclusion as everyone seems to have their own theory. I wouldn't mind hearing yours too!

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Scarface is the best name choice.

He’s so tiny that he got sucked in the filter and got through the propeller. I noticed him Monday morning when I passed across the tank and he was stationary. He didn’t dart into the rock as he always does at first when he senses sudden movement in front of the tank.
He has 3 pretty huge scars on the one side like his scales were pulled off.

I actually thought it was so unlikely for this to happen that I rushed to perform a 20% WC and dose Microbacter7 + Prime, fearing of a NH3 spike or some toxin. I cured the rock for a month trying to eliminate this scenario.

I managed to feed him and now it looks like he’s going to make it. Tomorrow is my 4th day dosing API Melafix, I hope this helps him. I don’t see any signs of infection. I also modified the filter intake so this won’t happen again.

Do you think his scales will grow back with time and is it likely that he’ll recover entirely?

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your HOB filter has a sponge protecting the inlet, am I correct? (I'm assuming that is where the fish was injured?). If not, find a method to cover that inlet.....ebay generic sponge to fit over the tube, pantyhose stretched over it, anything.

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks 2 months since setting up my tank.
There have been zero changes, I’m running the lights just about 1 hour per day, but the tank also receives tons of indirect sunlight in the summer.
I’m patiently waiting the hot weather to pass so I can add corals and slowly automating some processes.
Here are some great pics of my damselfish that a friend captured. I love this little fella! Enjoy .
D4E13322-D867-43EB-8567-9D6424815DF3.jpeg

D5729C00-A7A9-42D4-B669-501FF7732DE1.jpeg

5A4C10B7-8253-4662-9F8D-67644AB8C099.jpeg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels do have such character! It is a pity that they become such menaces in a small environment. In larger tanks I have had better success with them, but oh boy do I remember making some mistakes in a 15g 2' tank back in the day.

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick update! Sadly my fish died while I was on vacation, even though someone was taking care of my tank. He just disappeared.
I replaced him with a Chrysiptera Talboti damselfish and finally I got my first corals after three months of waiting!
7ABF2D86-1A9C-47CD-BA5B-2C5C39279697.jpeg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance Scarface reached for the stars? (Did you find him anywhere around the aquarium as a jumper? That would be the most logical/likely cause of his disappearance). Your tank is looking nice!

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TriggersAmuck that’s the first thing I thought but he must have stuck somewhere in the rock. I searched the tank and equipment thoroughly.

Thanks for the kind words! I added corals three days ago and things are going pretty smoothly. Lights are on 9 hours a day.

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a photo update. Things are looking quite good. Corals are doing well but some are just ok. I think I need to increase direct feedings. There’s a film type algae outbreak going on the past weeks and that’s why I have not increased feeding . I do not have a clean up crew yet (have been waiting for my LFS to import Trochus snails for ages).

I have finally added a gravity fed ATO and both the lighting and circulation of the tank are monitored via WiFi. Lighting period is 10 hours.

Tell my what you think!

Newly acquired Zoas. Debating on whether I should place them on the rock and let them spread or not.
AC14149C-1AB9-4396-B10E-1253F6BAD9B2.jpeg
C07AEF2F-A650-43B1-86A8-5E5FDAC1DE70.jpeg
66C4FFC1-0389-4E94-BCA9-CC16E54E0DE1.jpeg

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be certain as I'm not a biologist, but I believe I have as do some other reefers near me those same palythoa's. Recently a maintenance worker from a LFS tried to extract some from a customers tank and ended up in the hospital for 3 days with an allergic reaction and everything in the tank died. If this picture is anything like your paly's I would take them out and throw them away and use rubber gloves when you do:

IMG_8987.JPG

OP
OP
bbetta

bbetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@2Sunny I do not have the exact same coral but I know palythoa are the ones that we truly need to be cautious with in order to avoid poisoning. dang the ones that tou posted look even more nasty.
I never touch them with bare hands and I will not let them expand to the main rock.

Back