OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the two fish you lost. I wonder if the rocket up to 86 and the drop down to 79 was too much. Have you tried fish again?
Additionally, looking back at the time line, it was a few days after the temp spike that they died. It's just a mystery I guess.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about the losses. I recently lost my last fish to mystery death. Maybe @Humblefish or @melypr1985 could weigh in with ideas on what might have caused yours.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were any chemicals/meds in the water when you dosed Prime?

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the losses. I recently lost my last fish to mystery death. Maybe @Humblefish or @melypr1985 could weigh in with ideas on what might have caused yours.
Reading that other thread, I wish I dissected them. Lol
Were any chemicals/meds in the water when you dosed Prime?
No, I was only using prime.
I was using tap water, not RO. But I hadn't topped off, since there was hardly any evaporation. And I was adding about 1/2 to 1 cap of prime every day just in case of ammonia.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using tap water, not RO. But I hadn't topped off, since there was hardly any evaporation. And I was adding about 1/2 to 1 cap of prime every day just in case of ammonia.

I'm not saying it caused their death, but I wouldn't use tap water on any marine animals. Just too many unknowns with that.

What you can do is use water stored from a recent display tank water change to implement TTM. Obviously, this only works if you are 100% confident that your display tank is disease free and don't siphon anything off the bottom. ;)

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying it caused their death, but I wouldn't use tap water on any marine animals. Just too many unknowns with that.

What you can do is use water stored from a recent display tank water change to implement TTM. Obviously, this only works if you are 100% confident that your display tank is disease free and don't siphon anything off the bottom. ;)
Thanks. I have considered doing that, since the main reason I'm using tap water is because I can't make and store RO fast enough. I guess I can at least use display water for a few transfers, even if I still have to use tap water sometimes.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have considered doing that, since the main reason I'm using tap water is because I can't make and store RO fast enough. I guess I can at least use display water for a few transfers, even if I still have to use tap water sometimes.

Or even using waste water (conditioned) from your RODI is still better than using tap.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed about 1tsp of reef builder just now as my alk was very low. Phosphate and nitrate are practically unchanged, everything else is good. Still worried about the urchins but they don't seem to be getting any worse. Fed them some seaweed yesterday which they ate pretty quickly, it was really cool.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having trouble with my skimmer, and additionally, my heater started to shock me. Great, just what I needed. Swapped it for a weaker eheim that I put in the display, since it doesn't fit in the sump. Will probably swap it out for 2 smaller ones that I can more comfortably fit in the sump tomorrow.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got fish back in qt- another Cirrhilabrus solorensis (although a slightly smaller one this time) and a Paracheilinus cf. Mccoskeri (blackfin McCoskers). They had a very long trip so I'm just letting them settle and I'll see how they're doing in the morning.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish seem to be doing okay... McCoskers isn't eating yet but is starting to become more active. Solorensis is eating mysis and brine shrimp, and is usually swimming around. I hope to see more improvement tomorrow. They are so difficult to get decent pictures of..

The blasto I picked up yesterday opened up completely, but the Acan didn't, although I suspect that my urchin was bumping onto it because it was around it all day. I'll check again tomorrow. I also dosed 1.5 tsp reef builder for alkalinity.

20170114_202825.jpg

20170113_203315.jpg
20170113_203030.jpg
20170114_104825.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish are looking even better this morning and McCoskers is eating now. :) Planning to do the first tank transfer tomorrow.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Solorensis is still doing great, very active and eating well. The McCoskers is still spending a lot of time resting on the bottom. Although he is always actively looking around, he doesn't seem very much. Quite the opposite of last time. He only ate a small piece of food this evening. Hopefully he perks up.... I think I might transfer them tonight instead of waiting till the morning, the water is pretty gross looking.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic I just took of the blackfin McCoskers. Beautiful fish, I really hope he becomes more comfortable.
20170115_214657.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfered the fish to the next 10g last night, the old tank was getting nasty despite doing a small water change. Made sure to match salinity and temp. I was hoping the cleaner and fresher water would help the McCoskers. But his mouth got stuck in the net during transfer and I had to cut a pierce of the net off, as I'll result I think he's now even more stressed. I don't know if he's going to make it. Clown fairy still doing great though.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McCoskers is still not looking good. I'm not expecting him to pull through. Clown fairy still okay though. Added 2 more skunk cleaner shrimp to the display. Corals are doing well.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfered again. Clown fairy has weird bump on his head but seems okay.
Dosed 2tsp of reef builder as alk is still low.
Tried to get some better pics
20170118_202732.jpg

Single zoa green with golden yellow center
20170118_202641.jpg

Blasto

Back