A sideline discussion on Copper and overall benefits/detriments of prophylactic treatment in QT

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I know you think I'm nuts and don't know a fish from a Duck Billed Platypus but I didn't make up using "Quinacrine Hydrocloride as a treatment for parasites. It was Doctor Edward Kingsford in the Book
"Treatment of Exotic Marine Fish Diseases" 1975. That was one of the years I had to treat parasites in my tank.
He listed it for Cryptocaryon and Oodinium. As you know we didn't call a lot of things ich then.

I didn't invent the Quinacrine, but I invented using it with copper and it does work in about a day.
I used a combination of copper and formulin. I still have this bottle for nostalgia. It was made in Brooklyn, like I was and is from the 70s. It's still half full because thats how much copper I used in 50 years.

Fish Disease book.jpg

I know it's an old medication but I am old as my tank is and it seemed to work for me because I had to take it every day in Viet Nam and I didn't get malaria even though I lived in the jungle for an entire year, never coming out and I never saw a road, building or roof the entire year but the mosquitoes were so big they had antlers and would have me for lunch every day. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I know you think I'm nuts and don't know a fish from a Duck Billed Platypus but I didn't make up using "Quinacrine Hydrocloride as a treatment for parasites. It was Doctor Edward Kingsford in the Book
"Treatment of Exotic Marine Fish Diseases" 1975. That was one of the years I had to treat parasites in my tank.
He listed it for Cryptocaryon and Oodinium. As you know we didn't call a lot of things ich then.

I didn't invent the Quinacrine, but I invented using it with copper and it does work in about a day.
I used a combination of copper and formulin. I still have this bottle for nostalgia. It was made in Brooklyn, like I was and is from the 70s. It's still half full because thats how much copper I used in 50 years.

Fish Disease book.jpg

I know it's an old medication but I am old as my tank is and it seemed to work for me because I had to take it every day in Viet Nam and I didn't get malaria even though I lived in the jungle for an entire year, never coming out and I never saw a road, building or roof the entire year but the mosquitoes were so big they had antlers and would have me for lunch every day. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Yes - I have Kingsford's book. He seems to have gotten the idea from Amlacher or Reichenbach-Klinke. My guess would be the latter as his works were published by TFH and so Kingsford would have had better access to those. No way to know for sure because Kingsford did not use a bibliography. Suffice it to say, Atabrine/Quinacrine doesn't show up in any formularies now days.

Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suffice it to say, Atabrine/Quinacrine doesn't show up in any formularies now days.
Maybe it should. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Probably can't get it though. He said to use it by itself but I found that didn't do anything except tint the fish yellow for a while so I used it with my copper/formalin concocktion and it worked wonders.

And as far as medication goes, I am sure you know that the medications that can make the most money are the ones manufactured. Aspirins are an old medication, 100s of years old and we still use them. They are easily available and the patent ran out so they are very cheap. I feel they work the best out of all the Motrin, Tylenol and Advil we now have, but those medications cost much more so much more profit.

I am not sure how much "real life" research was done on the quinicrine "for fish". I have used it maybe a half dozen times on my tank and 2 or 3 LFSs that I helped start in the 70s.

Mix the stuff with copper and forgetablutit :cool:

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back