Adding kalkwasser to tropic marin part c

crustbottle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use BRS two part hybrid tropic marin. So, i dose brs soda ash, brs calcium chloride, and tropic marin part c. Then i add the tropic marin trace elements.

Im looking for ways to increase my ph i currently have my protein skimmer pulling in fresh air from outside. Which has raised my ph to about 8.0 during the night and 8.1 during the day.

My question is it possible to add kalwasser to part c of tropic marin? Since it does not have calcium or alk and i could get a little bit more of a ph boost when my part c gets dosed. Or would that cause issues and would it preticipate other things that are in part c?

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. There will be massive precipitation of magnesium hydroxide and calcium sulfate.
A reactor with co2 scrubbing media recirculated by pulling from outer edge lid of skimmer is a big help for PH. The media is essentially has same or similar to kalk in it I heard.. does the same thing you want but by pulling in through skimmer air instead of water but unlike outside air. it's taking out lots of co2 instead of just putting in air that has a low amount. (I think..lol ) I know it works well for me)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reactor with co2 scrubbing media recirculated by pulling from outer edge lid of skimmer is a big help for PH. The media is essentially has same or similar to kalk in it I heard.. does the same thing you want but by pulling in through skimmer air instead of water but unlike outside air. it's taking out lots of co2 instead of just putting in air that has a low amount. (I think..lol ) I know it works well for me)

Yes, a CO2 scrubber on a skimmer inlet can certainly be helpful to raise pH, as can using outside air for the skimmer inlet. A scrubber out outside air is even better since the Co2 may be even lower, and the media will last longer.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a complete dosing regiment based on Kalkwasser, here is what I've been toying with that will provide equivalent All-for-Reef supplements. It's a 3-part dosing regiment that takes care of all major and minor ions/elements. You need to monitor pH and Alk for dosing.

1. Saturated Kalkwasser
2. 12g TM Bio-magnesium w/ 900ml of RODI and 100ml of TM K+
3. 900ml of RODI and 100ml of TM A-

For each ml of Kalkwasser dose .1ml of each of the Mag/K+ and A-. (You can concentrate 2 & 3 so as to dose less RODI with them. You can't combine them!)

Recommended initial dosing for All-for-Reef is 5ml per 100L of tank and a maximum dosage of 20ml. This would translate to an initial 5ml each of Mag/K+ and A- and 50ml of saturated Kalkwasser and a maximum dosage of 20ml each of Mag/K+ and A- and 800ml of saturated Kalkwasser.

So for a 400L volume (my tank) recommended initial dosing would be 20ml of All-for-Reef. So for above, it would be 20ml each of Mag/K+and A- and 200ml saturated Kalk.

In my case since I'm monitoring Ph and Alk, I'm just limiting the raise in Alk by .25dKH per dosing...I'm dosing 4x a day. Per the reef calculator, it takes 900ml of Kalkwasser to have a .25dKH rise in my dKH.

Interestingly enough, the max dosage of All-for-Reef corresponds with a ~.25dKH increase. So I think I have everything lined up...

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're looking for a complete dosing regiment based on Kalkwasser, here is what I've been toying with that will provide equivalent All-for-Reef supplements. It's a 3-part dosing regiment that takes care of all major and minor ions/elements. You need to monitor pH and Alk for dosing.

1. Saturated Kalkwasser

For each ml of Kalkwasser dose .1ml of each of the Mag/K+ and A-. (You can concentrate 2 & 3 so as to dose less RODI with them. You can't combine them!)

Recommended initial dosing for All-for-Reef is 5ml per 100L of tank and a maximum dosage of 20ml. This would translate to an initial 5ml each of Mag/K+ and A- and 50ml of saturated Kalkwasser and a maximum dosage of 20ml each of Mag/K+ and A- and 800ml of saturated Kalkwasser.

So for a 400L volume (my tank) recommended initial dosing would be 20ml of All-for-Reef. So for above, it would be 20ml each of Mag/K+and A- and 200ml saturated Kalk.

In my case since I'm monitoring Ph and Alk, I'm just limiting the raise in Alk by .25dKH per dosing...I'm dosing 4x a day. Per the reef calculator, it takes 900ml of Kalkwasser to have a .25dKH rise in my dKH.

Interestingly enough, the max dosage of All-for-Reef corresponds with a ~.25dKH increase. So I think I have everything lined up...

1. Saturated Kalkwasser

Interestingly enough, the max dosage of All-for-Reef corresponds with a ~.25dKH increase. So I think I have everything lined up..

1. Saturated Kalkwasser

This is an awesome find! I've recently started thinking of ways to raise my ph. I was considering the co2 reactor route, but honestly it sounds like Kalkwasser will solve many of my issues at once. Now I have unused dosing pumps i was using for 2 part and have been very intrigued by the all for reef system, minus the calcium and alk... this is exactly what I was wondering and you have the recipe already layed out. Thanks!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome find! I've recently started thinking of ways to raise my ph. I was considering the co2 reactor route, but honestly it sounds like Kalkwasser will solve many of my issues at once. Now I have unused dosing pumps i was using for 2 part and have been very intrigued by the all for reef system, minus the calcium and alk... this is exactly what I was wondering and you have the recipe already layed out. Thanks!

There is also high-ph 2-part that boosts pH as well.

I actually ended up getting to a good place with my pH using Kalk + Skimmer + CO2 scrubber.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just make sure to build in ph shut off sensors for dosing kalk.

guidance:

JMO...
I'd dose mag on the side on a need-be basis.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which one?

From my understanding, alkalinity and co2 are the two factors that determine your ph.

Kalk can help raise and hold ph because it consumes c02.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one?

From my understanding, alkalinity and co2 are the two factors that determine your ph.

Kalk can help raise and hold ph because it consumes c02.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I actually ended up getting to a good place with my pH using Kalk + Skimmer + CO2 scrubber.
I'm going to see if the kalk will get me to where I want before investing in a co2 scrubber...I have a feeling I'll be making that purchase sooner than later though!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the claification
Thought you meant 2 part that you could buy, like ESV.

lol
That kinda ph booster (DIY mix) kinda scares me... :D

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Saturated Kalkwasser

Why did you choose TM Biomagnesium instead of TM Part C ( Sodium Free Salt water mix)?

Where did you find this recipie? I just use kalk at 2 to 3 liters a day and part c at 20 to 30 mls per day so magnesium does not drop

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you choose TM Biomagnesium instead of TM Part C ( Sodium Free Salt water mix)?

Where did you find this recipie? I just use kalk at 2 to 3 liters a day and part c at 20 to 30 mls per day so magnesium does not drop

That's probably a better solution!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use Tropic Marin Part C separately to just maintain magnesium as a daily automated dose. If I ever needed to adjust Magnesium up I would likely use BRS premix for adjustments. I never had to do this however as 10% weekly water changes are all that is needed. Testing Mag monthly at this point is all that is needed.

ICP does show Iodide in low to correct levels using the Part C. I do have some organism that may benefit from it. I do not think topic is terribly important with 10% weekly water changes. Chasing pH to to kalk levels is likely way more effective for coral growth. Coralline growth took off after having a dedicated Kalk dosing. One of 20 corals was not happy about change, other appeared to like it.

My next project is to finish basement Energy Recovery Ventilation for house. This is energy saving device that exchanges fresh air through enthalpic core (tempers two crossing paths) to cool basement in evening. This shoul raise pH by 0.1 or more by reducing CO2 in house while cooling for 100 watts of fan instead of AC during day.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the ingredients in Part C are designed to offset consumption. That is not its purpose, and is why you will/may need other additives, such as iodine (if you think it is useful; I don't, FWIW).

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can switch to Magnesium Sulfate / Magnesium chloride mix. I could probably just do water changes and monitor too.

Everything is taking off and doing well with Kalk at 1.8 liters a day automated! I have leaving things alone and aintaining through summer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back