Algae/Cyano Issue Not Improving, Help Please?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a 100 gallon tank in the chemistry forum with a massive invasion of Chrysophytes who is using your link for a work pattern, nice one here UKR

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

your tank is work example #2 for him to plan from, awesome.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can you post pic updates of the reef

OP
OP
UKR33f3r

UKR33f3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @brandon429! Sorry for the tardy reply bro, work has been manic and taking up a lot of my time recently.

Tank update: everything has been 100% bang on since doing the rip clean; no more resurgence of Cyano or algae. Parameters have been stable throughout with once a month 25% water changes.

I feel so much happier with the tank, to the point where I’ve added more fish and corals periodically. Everything is thriving! Thank you so much again for your help brother - I was probably at the point where I was going to rage quit and probably sell it all

If you have any doubts as to the efficacy of Brandon’s RIP clean logic, quite simply listen to the dude; he knows what he’s on about!!!

Attachments

• 8F64521B-E325-475D-ABB4-3DD90B32F963.jpeg
    8F64521B-E325-475D-ABB4-3DD90B32F963.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 44823F4C-649A-4BB2-937A-A7FD14C23004.jpeg
    44823F4C-649A-4BB2-937A-A7FD14C23004.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 476B11CA-87EE-4853-806C-E9A92F71FCCE.jpeg
    476B11CA-87EE-4853-806C-E9A92F71FCCE.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 313B2AC4-BAC9-449D-A0D1-7B12745A8F66.jpeg
    313B2AC4-BAC9-449D-A0D1-7B12745A8F66.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 88

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @brandon429! Sorry for the tardy reply bro, work has been manic and taking up a lot of my time recently.

Tank update: everything has been 100% bang on since doing the rip clean; no more resurgence of Cyano or algae. Parameters have been stable throughout with once a month 25% water changes.

I feel so much happier with the tank, to the point where I’ve added more fish and corals periodically. Everything is thriving! Thank you so much again for your help brother - I was probably at the point where I was going to rage quit and probably sell it all

If you have any doubts as to the efficacy of Brandon’s RIP clean logic, quite simply listen to the dude; he knows what he’s on about!!!

Glad to hear all going well since your rip clean and regards to brandon yeah seems his advice
On par with the cycling and rip cleans 100% time that ive seen so far in last 6 months or so.
Only thing i not seen and verified with my own eyes is he says at 8 months diesese will rip through majority of reef tanks who didn't fallow or diesese prep but the guy been watching and seeing alot of whats going on and recording and giving lots good advice for years so far it seems,so i dont doubt what he says,just not been around here long enough to witness it or seen enough 8 month old reef tanks following up with fish dieseses/deaths etc but sure in time i will see it.
But anyway enough of that as im confused as hell with what i think correct route to take regarding qt and fish health etc so nice one on your successfull full tank clean ^_^

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your natural surgical procedural skills were the lions share of them shocking, shocking after pics. what a total cheat this approach is, that is legal to use lol. beats 30-90 days guesstimating on ID and params, that's for sure. the next eight rip cleans I try and hawk out w be linked back here.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we use this fine fine example of tank control to help the willing, it’s important to know that UKR has prevented wasting of animals by simply being a resolved vs hesitant aquarist. He’s not killing and replacing animals like we do in other forms of invasion remediation, hesitation, he forced into place a system that feeds his corals better than ever before because all the clean spaces are uninvaded and ready for waste packing/the endpoint of feed we add for corals and fish.

this method of tank control beats all other forms of invasion control because of the tank conditions imparted that allow more vs less direct feeding of animals. Your chemistry is the best it can be without clouds and clouds of waste and acid-producing bacteria capitalizing on the waste, your oxygenation levels better than in the invaded condition, you didn’t chemical soup your setup by killing the target with a doser and rotting all the cells within

like the masses do

you did opposite and results show it. Your thread has generated ten rip cleans in the last month, two in private message and another eight or so from the forum. This is one of the best and most impactful rip clean examples I can recall. Your thread shows the attitude that some aquarists will do what it takes first for the health of the animals vs dig in heels and use a failing method popular with the masses while animals suffer and they post about losses for sixteen weeks in horrible invasion pics

your willingness is why this worked and why animals are safer in your home than many others

we merely got lucky an ammonia test kit didn't read 2.0 ppm after the rip clean to sow doubt. your pics and updates would look the same, but there would be a hidden undercurrent of doubt too which is why in our fifty page rip clean threads we don't accept any ammonia testing at all unless its seneye and calibrated on a running reef tank as proof of tuning.

Last edited:

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @UKR33f3r and @brandon429 Inspirational read, with clear and practical advice and instructions. I've been dealing with a bit of an algae issue for a few months now and as mentioned, it's amazing how quickly the mass opinion is to chemically nuke your tank... I like this clear and more natural approach and look forward to implementing it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this method above used to be vehemently hated for years, destructive. resetting. etc it was claimed

but when we build up enough counter proofs, it caught on and these tanks track out well in follow up

thank you for posting, add in your results when you can

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just add 5-6 tangs into the system to eat the algae? Not sure of tangs like this type of algae

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
= disease vector + no guarantee will work plus no specific compliance date, which we have here.

Last edited:

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This!

Can you just add 5-6 tangs into the system to eat the algae? Not sure of tangs like this type of algae
Tried a Sailfin tang but my algae issue wasn't to their liking... still it's a beauty

I definitely like the idea of a RIP clean, just got to do my prep and make sure I've got my backup for my backup! (You can never have enough mix on hand lol)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if the tank is large, consider pre modeling before the big job it truly helps gauge efficacy:

remove one target rock. using a metal steak knife tip, be detailed working around corals, scrape / debride and lift away anchored algae and scums, like parrotfish beaks rasping but nicer

detailed, with precision, make this test rock clean of algae being the grazer you wish you'd found.

on the clean spots, dab or lightly spray peroxide 3%/ common peroxide on the cleaned zones, this does cellular cleanup you missed and isn't blanketed in mass now like how most would have you treat it.

let sit a few mins, rinse off w saltwater, set that perfect rock back in the invaded system and watch it a while for regrowth characteristics. your tank before the rip clean will be in the highest feeding stage, so if that test rock holds nicely, you can bet in the clean/oligotrophic condition that follows a rip clean it really might stay clean a good while

a rip clean is what we use to move hundreds of tanks to new homes without cycles and without ever using bottled bacteria, its an ideal procedure for any reef to be waste-free and open for better feed input that ever before.

but when using that for algae control, its nice to pre model some of the growback risks from having done such a big work job. if you own a nano don't bother modeling just rip clean it lol

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if the tank is large, consider pre modeling before the big job it truly helps gauge efficacy:

remove one target rock. using a metal steak knife tip, be detailed working around corals, scrape / debride and lift away anchored algae and scums, like parrotfish beaks rasping but nicer

detailed, with precision, make this test rock clean of algae being the grazer you wish you'd found.

on the clean spots, dab or lightly spray peroxide 3%/ common peroxide on the cleaned zones, this does cellular cleanup you missed and isn't blanketed in mass now like how most would have you treat it.

let sit a few mins, rinse off w saltwater, set that perfect rock back in the invaded system and watch it a while for regrowth characteristics. your tank before the rip clean will be in the highest feeding stage, so if that test rock holds nicely, you can bet in the clean/oligotrophic condition that follows a rip clean it really might stay clean a good while

a rip clean is what we use to move hundreds of tanks to new homes without cycles and without ever using bottled bacteria, its an ideal procedure for any reef to be waste-free and open for better feed input that ever before.

but when using that for algae control, its nice to pre model some of the growback risks from having done such a big work job. if you own a nano don't bother modeling just rip clean it lol
And there in lies the subtle difference...

After reading some other advice and YouTube videos, I cleaned the worst affected rock, but unlike your precision and cautious approach above, the common approach is to spray, scrub and then completely submerged the rock in a 3% peroxide solution for a good 10 mins... end result,a near tank crash as this 'hammer' approach pretty much reset the rock.

As it's always mentioned in this hobby, nothing good happens quickly and patience is king! But then we're all guilty of bypassing this simple message

OP
OP
UKR33f3r

UKR33f3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ukr any chance of update here
Hey @brandon429! Yes my brother the tank is doing well, still maintained the bare bottom approach and corals and fish are doing well. Parameters are stable and other than the usual weekly water changes it requires no major attention. I’m pleased to say I’ve had no recurrence of the awful Cyano and am back enjoying the hobby

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this thread is still in our best of the best rip clean example collections and these updates / 7 month look back / are really valuable because it helps planners with long term tracking that’s awesome

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can you provide us an update here UKR

how has your tank fared

rip cleans don't hold forever, waste comes right back via fish, feeding/rock emissions etc really interested to know how your tank is doing

guiding a new tank into maturity with corals is tricky, being cloud free/waste free for at least a couple intervals really helps. I'm curious to know if you have maintained the clean condition for your tank this last year. update tracking is really important to our work threads :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back