Algae ID and Recommended Next Steps

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I added a frag to my tank and have noticed some questionable algae. Can you please help me ID. I will share 3 different patches of Algae so an ID on each one would be helpful. To me pictures 1 and 2 look like Bryopsis and possibly 3 as well. If so, should I be removing the frag and purchasing Flucanzole? Do I scrub the frags and treat with Hydrogen Peroxide where the algae was?

MVIMG_20191001_171044.jpg

IMG_20191001_171036.jpg

IMG_20191001_171221.jpg

Any help is appreciated! I'm not sure how could get the algae off of the zoa frag. It seems to be pretty in with the frag itself.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis from the pictures you posted. Flucanazole works well on most types of Bryopsis.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I read through that thread, seems super helpful. Just want to make sure it is Bryopsis and not just green hair algae.

Hair algae is like strands of hair that dissolve into a mush in your hands when lifted out of the water. While there are different types of Bryopsis, each strand will be feather or fern tipped in appearance and the stem will retain some of its structure out of water. Your second picture looks like a feather to me. The stem looks sturdy and defined. Of course, there are a lot of different types of algae out there, so could it be something else? Sure. A sample under a microscope would give the experts here a better look-see, but Bryopsis is my best guess based on the pictures you've provided. Bryopsis was once thought of as an incurable scourge in our tanks, but Flucanazole has turned that around and it is now controllable, even curable.

Good luck with the battle! I remember it well!

Last edited:

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this product last year and it eradicated all of bryopsis..

DBF40C2D-E9F0-448D-9B41-0A11AD01A94C.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back