Algae scrubbers in small tanks or Refugium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sidpost
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sidpost

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2023
Messages
44
Reaction score
10
Location
East Texas, USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering about using an Algae Scrubber in small saltwater tanks. Are they overkill? Would users be better off with a Refugium? I am assuming they are mutually exclusive unless you have a really large tank with a high bio-load.
 
I guess it depends on what outcome you desire. Imo anything smaller than a 40 gal breeder is small and if its an AIO. So a scrubber and a Refugium is a pain.

I hate having more equipment so a simple 1-5gal WC works for me and is cheap.
 
i have a refugium in my 40b. i don’t like taking space away from the display so an AIO would not have worked for me
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new