Alternatives to Digital Aquatics Probes and Parts.

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you get a good connection. I used soldier and heat shrink tubing, but I guess twisting the wires together may also work if you have no way to soldier them.

Last edited:

Handegard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody post a close up of a iTemps RJ22 connector? I have a crimper and a handful of jacks, but I don’t know which pins to put the wires in.

thanks!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the guy told me to use it for the one thing I need it for and return it hahaha

so you think it’s funny to be dishonest and steal from someone? this kind of stupidity drives up prices for everyone!

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody post a close up of a iTemps RJ22 connector? I have a crimper and a handful of jacks, but I don’t know which pins to put the wires in.

thanks!
Does this help?

IMG_3542.JPG

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helps a great deal. Got it working.

Now I need to figure out if I can somehow use my brand new BNC DA Salinity Probe to a SL2 that has a mini-DIN...
The SL2 with the DIN is obsolete. DA had a return program years ago for those. You need a SL2v2 module.

MCKnuckledragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, did anyone ever come up with a fully successful temp probe replacement? I see that a few options were used but all appear to be short term tests and did not see long term feedback. Maybe I miss it.

I have at least one used backup with the phone-jack style connector that I could probably swap to the micro molex if I have to (if that will work). I would rather just have a good new alternative.

The system is so stable with years of solid performance.

Last edited:

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the plastic coated themistors successfully on 2 tanks for about a year. The original thermistors that I'm using are not available on Amazon any longer so I purchased some different ones last week and have been testing them. After about a week the new one is staying within 0.1 degree, well within the margin of error of calibration. You can find more details in this thread if interested.

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason777 do you have a link to buy one of the ones you are testing? Will it connect directly to the rk?

It does not come with a connector, you would have to put on your own.
I hate to post links because they seem to come and go on Amazon and the link would most likely be outdated quickly. If you do a search on there for "waterproof NTC 10k" it should get you to something usable. The stainless ones did not work well for me. I've had good luck with the plastic coated ones but they are not always available.
The ones I'm currently testing are Ucontro and came in a pack of 5.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could just cut the cord off my old itemp probe and splice it to the waterproof NTC 10k without buying a new connector?

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could just cut the cord off my old itemp probe and splice it to the waterproof NTC 10k without buying a new connector?
Which temp probe type are you replacing, iTemp or the regular temp probe?

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, did anyone ever come up with a fully successful temp probe replacement? I see that a few options were used but all appear to be short term tests and did not see long term feedback. Maybe I miss it.

I have at least one used backup with the phone-jack style connector that I could probably swap to the micro molex if I have to (if that will work). I would rather just have a good new alternative.

The system is so stable with years of solid performance.
I am still using one of the metal ones where it was placed in an old pH probe. It has been in the tank a few months now. See post 120 in this thread.

MCKnuckledragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not come with a connector, you would have to put on your own.
I hate to post links because they seem to come and go on Amazon and the link would most likely be outdated quickly. If you do a search on there for "waterproof NTC 10k" it should get you to something usable. The stainless ones did not work well for me. I've had good luck with the plastic coated ones but they are not always available.
The ones I'm currently testing are Ucontro and came in a pack of 5.
I think I found the same ones you are using. Thank you for the info! Can I just add a JST connector (is that the connector type?) plug it in to my SL1 and drop the waterproof probe in? Is there some sort of calibration that will need done? I seem to remember reading that it was not a good idea to try to calibrate the original DA itemp probes......

Last edited:

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found the same ones you are using. Thank you for the info! Can I just add a JST connector (is that the connector type?) plug it in to my SL1 and drop the waterproof probe in? Is there some sort of calibration that will need done? I seem to remember reading that it was not a good idea to try to calibrate the original DA itemp probes......

You will need to add the correct connector for your system, not JST. It doesn't matter if you use the Molex or RJ connector, that depends on your module(s) and where you want to connect to your RK.

My thermistor is just dropped into my sump. There hasn't been a problem for me with it floating but you could make a mount if you are concerned.

Yes, it will need to be calibrated to the RK, follow the RK instructions just like adding one of their probes.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would start a thread where we can put probes and parts that we come across that can be used to replace the probes and parts for the RKE,RKL and Archon systems.

To start it off I will add one.

DP1

Motor pump assembly for the DP1. I found a replacement for the pump assy for the DP1. It can be purchased from Amazon . What I do is dissassemble the new pump assy and use the motor, roller assembly, front plate, tubing and screws in most cases. Below is the DP1 beside the pump assembly purchased from Amazon. I have already removed the tubing from the pump assy. It does come with the tubing. I ordered some tubing that was 2x4.5mm and it will not fit. I have some 2.5x4.5mm tubing on the way. If it works I will update it here. The 2.5X4.5 tubing did not work. I ordered some 2.2x4.5 tubing and installed it. It seems to work. Time will tell. Link below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-2...002.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77584c4dfJMfuu

IMG_2222.JPG

Below is the parts I used to repair this DP1 from the one I purchased.

IMG_2232.JPG

You will need to remove the back cover and unsoldier the wires at the motor of the DP1. Make a note of which wire is attached to the + terminal of the motor.

IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG

Once you have the wires unsoldiered from the motor unscrew the motor from the pump case assy. I was able to break the motor free from the glue with vicegrips while holding on to the pump case and DP1 case with my hands. The motor and pump case is glued to the DP1 case using hotmelt glue gun. If it does end up come loose you can use a glue gun to glue back.

IMG_2229.JPG

Once the pump case is cleaned up if needed then place the new motor in the case and screw it back in. The only thing left is to soldier the wire back on the new motor making sure the same wire on the + terminal of the old motor is hooked to the + terminal of the new motor. The only issue is the direction the motor turns. If it turns the wrong way it is just a matter of swapping the wires on the motor. One you have the motor mounted and soldiered back in install the rollers and tubing and then replace the pump cover. Then reassemble the DP1 housing. You will have to calibrate the pump after doing this.

IMG_2236.JPG

I hope this will help someone that is needing to fix a broken DP1 without too much trouble.

Dude... You Are The Man!!!
Awsome research and Many Tanks for sharing!!!

OP
OP
n2585722

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited the original post on the DP1 and added a second option on how to replace the entire pump assembly instead of just the motor. It is in post 1 of this thread.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced my 2 DA itemp probes with
waterproof NTC 10k. I took apart the old DA probes. Man was that tricky to get them apart and not break them. How did you guys seal up? Or did you?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back