Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

KMG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all,here is some pics how Si and taricha help me to clean Dino.

20180806_133148_HDR.jpg

20180806_133200.jpg

The reddish braun pach is not Dino it is Diatom,but am happy with that,because after that coming the green.Natural occurring.
Hi!
Could it be due to lack är trace elements? You have N, P and Si but how about Fe, Mn, B, Cu, Zn and Mo? A water change or a dose of trace elements to fill up the empty reserves that might be the limiting factor for the algaes to take of?

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying the sponge excel method aswell. So far I have upped the N and P by dosing KNO3 and flourish phosphorous to about 5-10 and around .1 respectively. I have been dosing the silicate since Tuesday. I do not have a silicate test kit ( I know I know) i should have one but Hanna silicate checkers are not available in Canada from what I can tell. I am going slow and started at 20 drops and increasing by about 5-10 drops each day on a 230 gallon system.

Any thoughts on how fast I should start seeing a diatom bloom??

So far no real green hair algae taking hold and I appear to have bothered amphidinium and ostreopsis dinos as I have some stringing bubble catching ones on the rock.

I am thinking about deploying a UV sterilizer and possibly getting some more zooplankton and farmed phyto to help get the good microfauna increased in mass. Any thoughts on this approach aswell.
Thanks

bdub22rhp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I posted a few times on this thread as I have been fighting these guys for a few months and I am happy to say my sand bed is finally white again. I tried water changes through socks, blackout, let tank get dirty, and none of it worked. I started dosing Spongexcel from brightwell heavily for 2 weeks and got my siliacates to .8 ppm and had to leave for a week for work. When I got back my and bed looked worse than when I left. Thought for sure the dinos were getting worse. I started symphoning them out cause it was terrible looking and all I can say it they just have been crazy concentrations of diatoms cause after doing it twice my sand bed is clear and I have noticed diatoms some diatoms on my rockwork where my hermits have all congregated now. I now have a hanna SI checker for sale if anyone would like it that is fighting these things.

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I posted a few times on this thread as I have been fighting these guys for a few months and I am happy to say my sand bed is finally white again. I tried water changes through socks, blackout, let tank get dirty, and none of it worked. I started dosing Spongexcel from brightwell heavily for 2 weeks and got my siliacates to .8 ppm and had to leave for a week for work. When I got back my and bed looked worse than when I left. Thought for sure the dinos were getting worse. I started symphoning them out cause it was terrible looking and all I can say it they just have been crazy concentrations of diatoms cause after doing it twice my sand bed is clear and I have noticed diatoms some diatoms on my rockwork where my hermits have all congregated now. I now have a hanna SI checker for sale if anyone would like it that is fighting these things.

I would take the silicate checker. How much and will you ship to Canada?? Also how many tests do you have left for it.

KMG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I got rid of my Amphidinum dino by combining uvc and "heavy" peroxide dosing. I thought about how the doctors now days dose antibiotics. So my way went by dosing 6 ml/gallon, 3 times a day and running uvc around the clock. 3 days later they where gone. Of course i dosed up with natrium and phosphorus. The fish, snails and hermits was fine. The corals got grumpy. But they where pretty beaten up by the dino any ways. Very soon the turbos and hermits starten to move around (was like zombies before) and the coral polyps came out. I take it easy with the light. Starting out with 20% and raising 10% a week. The algae have finaly started to grow (green hair and red turf), but the turbos and hermits eat it. So I'm expanding the cuc. Keeping an eye on the nutrient levels. No more 0 ;)

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling Amphidinum Dino's (confirmed by microscope) for several months. After reading this thread, I dosed silicates (water glass off of amazon) for about a week. My sand bed started looking even worse, and I thought it didn't work. I decided to take a sample and look under the microscope, and to my surprise and joy, there were no Dino's visible in the sample, and TONS of diatoms. I then let the diatoms use up the silicates, and within a week, my sand bed is completely clear! I couldn't be happier.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)Hi KMG would suggest to you read Randy Holmes-Farley chemistry forum and you will know what is the 3 most important thing what your reef need.Just like CA,MG,KH, and the next 3 No3,Po4,and maybe Si.Please read Randy`s tread you understand more.

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing silicate through sponge excel to my 230 gallon tank for a little over a week now. I am up to about 80 or so drops a day. I have the seachem silicate test kit and still not showing any silicate on that test. Anyone have any idea on a larger tank what it may take drop wise to get silicate numbers up.

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing silicate through sponge excel to my 230 gallon tank for a little over a week now. I am up to about 80 or so drops a day. I have the seachem silicate test kit and still not showing any silicate on that test. Anyone have any idea on a larger tank what it may take drop wise to get silicate numbers up.
I have to dose 5x that on my 70 gallon to get any color on the seachem test

n4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this sample off my back glass. I can’t keep it clean. It grows back within hours. Small cell amphidinum?
I have both on hand. Vibrant and silicate to dose. What would you recommend to dose or both? I haven’t done either yet.

0C105FB3-FF6E-477F-9C69-A6B7F478FE2D.jpeg

B620182F-7099-4580-81D3-5FED8A31AE37.jpeg

KMG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)Hi KMG would suggest to you read Randy Holmes-Farley chemistry forum and you will know what is the 3 most important thing what your reef need.Just like CA,MG,KH, and the next 3 No3,Po4,and maybe Si.Please read Randy`s tread you understand more.
Thanks för telling. It's mandatory. I use Triton Core 7 balling and NaNo3 and P at one channel. I knocked the dinos as I mentioned before fast with h2o2 at 6 ml/10 gallon 3 times a day (Min 4 h between the doses) No problems except from grumpy anemone

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha any updates on how your Si dosing experiment is going?

I've been dosing for 3 months now, but I have to keep increasing Si to keep it above zero. Hair algae has really taken over the whole tank, two part usage is almost zero (almost no sticks left), and the amphidinium is just chilling out in the hair algae. PO4 is 0.10+, NO3 is 15ppm, and I'm running UV. I've stopped doing water changes at this point. Not sure what else to try.. anybody else go through a long stage of hair algae with dinos?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Unfortunately it looks like I'm joining the amphidinum club. Thought these were just diatoms for months now but just got a scope to see what was really going one. Here is what I'm up against. Luckily, I have no issues with my rocks, just sand bed which I've kept somewhat in check my daily stirring (the below photos are end of light cycle before stirring). The only potential evidence of Dino toxin I've seen in my tank is that all my urchins recently died - but no other issues. Snails, Inverts, fish and corals are all doing well.

I like the idea of siphoning the sand through UV and a diatom filter but not quite sure where to start with this. Does anyone have a good UV/diatom filter vacuum setup they'd recommend? I've seen lot of mentions of it in this thread but no specific details on what people are using (but maybe I missed it). And specifically, how many watts of UV are you guys running on the siphon? I have 50 watts of UV on my main system but that would be difficult to plumb in line to a sand cleaning siphon so thinking of getting a smaller on for that.

Might something like this Aqua Ultraviolet 15W UV work for sand cleaning or do I need more power?
https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-watt-Advantage-2000Sterilizer/dp/B003WRL6KG.

Thanks

IMG_20180921_171102.jpg

IMG_20180921_171117.jpg

IMG_20180924_181357.jpg

IMG_20180925_201626 (1).jpg

IMG_20180925_201530.jpg

IMG_20180925_191802.jpg

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that have removed you sand can you please tell me over what period you did this and whether or not there were any ill effects. Trying to figure out how slowly I need to remove the sand. My sand bed is about 2" in a 165g so a good amount of sand I need to get out.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that have removed you sand can you please tell me over what period you did this and whether or not there were any ill effects. Trying to figure out how slowly I need to remove the sand. My sand bed is about 2" in a 165g so a good amount of sand I need to get out.
I’ve been removing sand from my 180. I siphon it out and do a 5-10 water change at the same time. I usually only get to remove a few cups of sand for each 5 gallons of water I remove. It’s tedious...I removed about 80% of my sand earlier in the year. I thought I beat amphidinium and tried more more sps. They died when dinos returned. Am currently removing the remainder of my sand. I don’t like it, but don’t know what else to do at this point.. I had about 2 inches as well. I have not witnessed any ill effects, but I’ve been going slowly.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha any updates on how your Si dosing experiment is going?

I've been dosing for 3 months now, but I have to keep increasing Si to keep it above zero. Hair algae has really taken over the whole tank, two part usage is almost zero (almost no sticks left), and the amphidinium is just chilling out in the hair algae. PO4 is 0.10+, NO3 is 15ppm, and I'm running UV. I've stopped doing water changes at this point. Not sure what else to try.. anybody else go through a long stage of hair algae with dinos?
I haven’t heard from taricha in a while. I hope he is ok!

I’m fighting amphidinium too. I thought they were gone, but was wrong. I’m removing the remainder of my sand, then will start to blow off rocks again to get them into the water column so that UV can be effective. I hadn’t tried Si dosing yet because I haven’t seen clear cut successes yet, but have been doing nitrates and phosphates.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this sample off my back glass. I can’t keep it clean. It grows back within hours. Small cell amphidinum?
I have both on hand. Vibrant and silicate to dose. What would you recommend to dose or both? I haven’t done either yet.

@reeferfoxx is good at ID of dinos...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this is some form of amphidinium. Either small or normal cell amphidinium. It did look like one cell was concaved.

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this sounds crazy, but has any one ever tried just removing the sand, rinsing it. Then spreading it on something for it to dry out in the sun, and putting it back in the tank?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back