Any one know what this is?

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this when I first started collecting SPS and of course it died...It looks to me like a colorful birds nest but I still have never seen another birds nest that lookedthe same. The branches are thicker and it has a different growth pattern. also it was supper bright pink and turned blue when the lights were off. If any one has an idea of what it might be let me know, and if I am just trippen and it's just a birds nest, then my bad. who knows some one might be able to give it a better ID. Thanks!! :tongue:

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without being able to see the polyps or close up I'd have to guess it's a birdsnest. Do you remember what it was labeled as?

OP
OP
Reefer831

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink stylo??? It could be a variety of b.nest though.
:neutral:
Got any closer pics of it?it looks like a montipora digitata to me.
no I am sure it is not that. Thanks for the help though.:xd:
Without being able to see the polyps or close up I'd have to guess it's a birdsnest. Do you remember what it was labeled as?
No that pic was taken a few years ago and my LFS has no clue about sps but yet they sell it...LOL...the P.E was different then a birds nest and the same goes for the growth pattern and the thickness of the branches.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp extension would have been affected if it was a newly imported coral. Whatever it was it sure was pink!

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the polyps are lined up in nice even rows it's a seriatapora (birdsnest) if they are random placement i would lean toward stylophora

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have never seen a stylo with long pointy branches like that. My guess would be pink BN. It just looks like it's been fragged a few times and moved around and had a branch break off here and there and so on. Growth is irregular for a normal BN but it looks like it started off as a few separate branches glued to that rock. In about five months I bet it will look way more like a typical BN.

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, because the OP said it turns blue at night and the growth pattern shown in his pics almost resembles Stylaster californicus, I'm wondering if it could be a type of Stylasteridae. It could also be a type of fire coral, Millepora sp. Here are two examples of Stylaster californicus and a millepora sp.:

scalyhead2.jpg

stylaste_cal580.jpg

Millepora sp.
firecoral.jpg

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like RTBM said, its the leftover "trunk' of a pink birdsnset that is beginning to recover and branch out again. It looks like it was overfragged at one point and is just beginning to take off again.

Dude your tank was so sick back then; look at those colors!!!!!:tongue:

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are still debating this? Its quite obv a pink birdsnest(Seriatopora)....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back