Any Trigger Platinum sump users out there?

amebcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know under what conditions the roller starts moving?

My roller powers on fine (blue led) and manual rolling works (pressing th motor button). However, automatic rolling does not seem to work.
- The float in the return section is above water level
- Water in the roller section rises and the two floats are below water level
- I would expect that the roller would start moving at this point, but it does not.

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to resolve the issue? I really like the design of the platinum sump. But I want to know how well it works before I get one. Otherwise I was thinking I go with a Triton style sump and add a Clarisea

MaxFlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resolved the issue. The primary float switch got disconnected from a terminal block inside of the control unit housing. I guess it happened during transport. Looks like an area for improvement in future versions of the sump.

The price is very steep for what it is, but I like the roller being fully integrated with the sump. Control electronics is also very simple and if needed it can bee hooked up directly to an aquarium controller with a simple DIY wiring.

I also got a response from Trigger support team that explains the purpose of the three floats. See below.

"
When the fleece starts to get dirty, the water level in the fleece area
will start to rise. When it does it will raise up the lower float. This
will turn the motor and put more new clean fleece in. This will then
make the water level go down and turn the motor off as the lower float
will go back down. This should happen over and over as normal operation.

The higher float in the fleece area and the return chamber float both
act the exact same. When they are down, the motor is allowed to turn.
But when either of these go up, the motor will not be able to turn. We
put the return chamber one in there because this is the area that goes
up first as soon as you shut off the return pump. The higher float in
the fleece area is there for added protection in case the return pump
float fails.
"

MaxFlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you hook it up to your Controller ?
No, just opened the control box to fix wiring and realized that the three floats can be hooked up to a controller. Roller is driven by a 12V (or maybe 24V) DC motor that can be powered from a controller. It will take few more weeks before I am ready to start hooking things up - Back in the game - ULM with a fishroom

orionstrident

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little bit of a bump but i figured i would add to it since I havent seen much on them. I recently purchased a platinum 34 and had the same issue with the float switches not working come to find out that one of the wires pulled out. Its a pretty bad design honestly for something so expensive. They could have spent $5 more and made them much more secure and still be serviceable

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little bit of a bump but i figured i would add to it since I havent seen much on them. I recently purchased a platinum 34 and had the same issue with the float switches not working come to find out that one of the wires pulled out. Its a pretty bad design honestly for something so expensive. They could have spent $5 more and made them much more secure and still be serviceable
Do you think I would be better off getting the Trigger Triton sump and adding the clarisea? Do you have any other sump suggestions?

orionstrident

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I would be better off getting the Trigger Triton sump and adding the clarisea? Do you have any other sump suggestions?

I mean once I fixed it it’s running great. I had the float sensor a little to high up that advanced the roll so at first and my ATO way adding water and then when the roll advanced it was overfilled but I lowered the switches and it seemed to have solved that issue but I wonder how fast it will go through fleece now. My only other concern is that not a single person has the replacement fleece in stock currently but I’ll worry about that once my first roll runs out.

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the design. But been alittle hesitant due to some of the issues I have read. But I’m glad it’s working for you

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my 39" sump. Pulled the control panel apart and found the wire that was pulled out and re seated it. I concur that I think what happens is in the shipping process the control box is well protected but maybe not secured well and gets a good yank at some point loosening a connection.

Word to the wise... Check this. before you put the sump under the stand and fill it with water. Talk about stressful pulling the electronics apart while suspended over water!

Outside of the issue identified, I like the sump a lot.

Last edited:

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know under what conditions the roller starts moving?

My roller powers on fine (blue led) and manual rolling works (pressing th motor button). However, automatic rolling does not seem to work.
- The float in the return section is above water level
- Water in the roller section rises and the two floats are below water level
- I would expect that the roller would start moving at this point, but it does not.
So are you liking the sump? I've looked online for anyone saying anything about the platinum sumps since black friday I won the brs giveaway for best tip and won the trigger platinum 20 cube. I got it with the motor mount broken. Called brs they told me to throw it away or do whatever with it and as soon as the get another in stock they would send another and trigger sent the part for free so got 2 of them. Still havent hooked it up yet but cant wait they are nice looking. I just put I the trigger 26 3 weeks before .

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi - wanted to bump this as i am about to pull the trigger on the 39. my drain is 1.5" and wanted to see if i could get this to work with my system. are the screws on the drain insert removable?

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started unpacking my platinum 34. Does any one know if it’s supposed to come with instructions? I know there is a set up video. But it doesn’t tell me what to do with all the o rings and some of the different length screws.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back