OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend got them Gaudy Clown Crabs from KP Aquatics. They currently don't have any in stock but I bet they will soon. Try Emailing em to see if they are seasonal or when they will get more up for sale.
I tried reaching out to them, KP hasn't seen them in two years. I guess I have to cut them out and kalk them for now. I wanted each. and. every. one. of them gone.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Just bought TWO of these gaudy clown crabs to annihilate the rest of these stupid palys!!!! I've kalked and removed a majority of them, but some are in spots that I can't reach and I want them ALL GONE. Thanks @reefcleaners !!!!

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Just bought TWO of these gaudy clown crabs to annihilate the rest of these stupid palys!!!! I've kalked and removed a majority of them, but some are in spots that I can't reach and I want them ALL GONE. Thanks @reefcleaners !!!!

What?! How did you manage to get not one, but two?!

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps I'll sell one later; or just email/PM @reefcleaners; it took him a few weeks, but he got back to me. I'm stoked!!!

I'll send them an email. What did they cost you?
Wonder how long it takes them to decimate all the palys. Do they starve once the palys are gone? Or eat other things?

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll send them an email. What did they cost you?
Wonder how long it takes them to decimate all the palys. Do they starve once the palys are gone? Or eat other things?
I'm sure they'll give you a price, but even the price I paid for them with shipping, there was no way I was going to pass them up.

I think they'll forage for food once they're gone. I've killed enough of the palys, but now I'll let nature take it's course with these two assassins. I just might have to buy cheap zoas for them to eat if need be, zoas and palys aren't really my thing anyway.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they'll give you a price, but even the price I paid for them with shipping, there was no way I was going to pass them up.

I think they'll forage for food once they're gone. I've killed enough of the palys, but now I'll let nature take it's course with these two assassins. I just might have to buy cheap zoas for them to eat if need be, zoas and palys aren't really my thing anyway.

Hopefully he can get another one.
If you end up wanting to rehome one, let me know!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not bring the rock into your lfs? Some stores buy rocks covered with weed zoas like those lol. My lfs has Mohawks EVERYWHERE

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he can get another one.
If you end up wanting to rehome one, let me know!
I'm sure he can. I PM'ed him a few weeks ago, and he said it's not likely he finds them now, but low and behold... he did. and two of them! I think it's not the proper weather conditions, but just drop him a line. I ended up buying alot more stuff from him, not just the crabs to make it worth the money being spent.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wire brushes and scraping the crap out of zoas tends to get rid of them.
true, but I have a ton of encrusted acros on the rocks, kalk works wonders so far, but there are some on vertical faces of the rock, and well, kalk doesn't work there.

@C. Eymann I finally got TWO!!!

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true, but I have a ton of encrusted acros on the rocks, kalk works wonders so far, but there are some on vertical faces of the rock, and well, kalk doesn't work there.

Yup like he says I have acros on all my rocks and all my rocks are glued together. These stupid palys are growing between the acros and on backside of rocks. I would have to destroy my reef to get rid of them.
And Angel's will eat other corals besides just the palys.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup like he says I have acros on all my rocks and all my rocks are glued together. These stupid palys are growing between the acros and on backside of rocks. I would have to destroy my reef to get rid of them.
And Angel's will eat other corals besides just the palys.
have you tried Kalk to control it for now? I didn't know it would work THAT well on them, I make a semi thick slurry and then just squirt them on the palys and let it sit for like 30-45 mins, turn the flow back on and then notice they dissolve over the next few days. They def. don't come back.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried Kalk to control it for now? I didn't know it would work THAT well on them, I make a semi thick slurry and then just squirt them on the palys and let it sit for like 30-45 mins, turn the flow back on and then notice they dissolve over the next few days. They def. don't come back.

I tried it in the past and it didnt seem to do much.
Luckily for me-most of them are on the backside of a rock out of view and away from acros. Theres a few dozen that have grown between the bases of some acros-but I dont really want to start squirting kalk that close to my acros either.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it in the past and it didnt seem to do much.
Luckily for me-most of them are on the backside of a rock out of view and away from acros. Theres a few dozen that have grown between the bases of some acros-but I dont really want to start squirting kalk that close to my acros either.
interesting, luckily kalk has helped me so far so I don't have to see those ugly point of sale anymore. I used kalk by the bases, and cut around the bases very carefully, to remove some of the palys.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ref the comment on angelfish: My (now former - since been re-homed) Pomacanthus semicirculatus, the Koran angelfish or semicircle angelfish, is designed to eat Palythoa and Zoanthids among a host of other things. They are tolerant of palytoxins, and mine consumed zoanthids like candy while mowing down palythoa and wiping out all the pest anemone (aiptasia and another as yet unidentified-yet-prolific pest) it could find.

Didn't bother SPS or LPS other than an occasional "nip", although they have been known to munch soft corals, clams, and such.

Not a fish for a small aquarium as even a 300 gets crowded pretty quickly. I moved mine out at around 8" of its expected 1'3" - 1'6" adult size. It was beginning to get too aggressive for the rest of the fish in the reef.

Cheers,
Ray

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back