Are possum wrasses difficult?

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a possum wrasse for my 10 gallon reef. So far I have only had fish losses related to fish jumping and only one other livestock loss, an emerald crab. I have seen sources suggest possum wrasses are an "expert" fish but cannot seem to find any reason why. Would one be a good fit for a 6 month old softie reef with one shrimp goby pair, a few snails and hermit crabs, and two shrimp?

U

User1

View Badges
I think you are going to get a couple different opinions on this such as mine. Pass on the possum wrasse due to it being cryptic, shy, and food requirements (pods, worms, etc). The goby is going to compete with similar food I'd wager and 10 gallons is not really large enough to supply both.

You should probably consider fish for Nano tanks so looking at clown and neon gobies among a few other similar and small fish. Again, focus on fish that will not eat the same thing. Of course your mileage may vary but that is my take on it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The are recommended for a very experienced hobbyist as they require Very small meaty foods and need great water conditions and fed frequently throughout the day. If youre going on vacation, they still need those meaty feedings throughout the day.
They are very shy and peaceful making them vulnerable to bullying so plan on a bunch of rocks and caves for hiding. temperature range is 75-78 degrees and a ph range of 8.1 -8.3 and salt level of 1.023-1.025. . .. as you can see, not typical parameters for most fish. Some foods are mussel, squid, plankton, shrimp and other small meaty foods.

Last edited:

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a possum probably lucky somewhat in keeping him. Not only is every tank different but so us every fish. Possum are very shy stay out of site and feeding a good pod population and a fish eating from the get go is needed.
F your looking at a possum for its looks be prepared to not see him much. If you want to try make sure you have Plenty of pod population patience and get one you know is eating to start.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my favorite group of wrasses (only three species). I would say a well established 30 gallon tank minimum with lots of live rock. They will take to prepared foods, but they primarily eat small crustaceans and pods, spending all day cruising rock for food. It takes time, but given the right environment, they will and do come out in the open.
For a 10 gallon, I would suggest small gobies, blennies and other nano fish.
Here's my Tanaka.
27E5835B-845E-40C7-93DF-17F1146B055A.jpeg

OP
OP
Sinibotia

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does enough pods look like? I'm not super worried about competition or bullying. The "meanest" thing in the tank is a skunk shrimp. The goby is a tiny black ray goby who, along with his pistol shrimp, very much keeps close to/under one particular rock. The whole rest of the tank is prettymuch crawling with pods, some of the amphipods are pretty sizeable. So I *think* I might have the space and the food.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 3½ years with no problem. First got him about 9 months after starting the tank. He's been a model citizen - fairly shy and not flashy but one of my favorites due to the way he just mellowly cruises in and out of the rockwork. I liked him so much I tried to get a second one. Even after a couple days in an acclimation box, the minute I released the new guy, the original went nuts chasing new guy relentlessly until he was so tired he just lay down and I was able to fish him out. Luckily I was able to nurse him back to health but he wouldn't have survived the night in the display tank.

I keep my tank at around 78 and my salinity at 1.027 so perhaps not ideal? I feed LRS in the morning and New Life Spectrum pellets (which he eats) in the evening but I've gone on vacation for almost 3 weeks when the tank gets only the pellet food and he seems none the worse for the wear. Perhaps because I have enough pods in the tank and no other pod eaters.

U

User1

View Badges
What does enough pods look like? I'm not super worried about competition or bullying. The "meanest" thing in the tank is a skunk shrimp. The goby is a tiny black ray goby who, along with his pistol shrimp, very much keeps close to/under one particular rock. The whole rest of the tank is prettymuch crawling with pods, some of the amphipods are pretty sizeable. So I *think* I might have the space and the food.

Then why ask?

You are talking about a 10 gallon tank and a fish that is shy by nature. Doesn't matter where you search 90% or more of the returns are going to tell you the same thing. It is possible to keep a possum wrasse in a nano-reef tank, but you will need to feed them frequently as there will not be enough natural food in a small tank to sustain them (As noted by a few keepers of them in the replies here).

How much rock do you have? How mature are the corals? I wouldn't even consider it if you don't even have enough rock to make it feel secure.

U

User1

View Badges
One of my favorite group of wrasses (only three species). I would say a well established 30 gallon tank minimum with lots of live rock. They will take to prepared foods, but they primarily eat small crustaceans and pods, spending all day cruising rock for food. It takes time, but given the right environment, they will and do come out in the open.
For a 10 gallon, I would suggest small gobies, blennies and other nano fish.
Here's my Tanaka.
27E5835B-845E-40C7-93DF-17F1146B055A.jpeg

Great looking image.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a possum in a 10 gallon is fine so long as there aren’t aggressive tank mates. I think the big issue with these wrasses is they often come with internal parasites (and flukes). I would recommend QTing and immediately starting them on medicated food. Reef nutrition roe is a good food to get then feeding, as are sustainable aquatics hatchery pellets (which are easy to medicate). I would not suggest FW dipping these wrasses because in my experience they do not like it one bit

This thread has more thoughts (including mine) on possum wrasses: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/no-luck-with-possum-wrasses.691941/

you could also consider a pink streaked wrasses, similar but maybe a little more outgoing. Mine enjoys frozen, fish eggs, pe mysis flakes and pellets.

as far as having to feed a lot- I think twice a day is fine, they will pick pods off the rocks as well. It is more maintenance than A goby or damsel feeding wise, but not awful like a mandarin.

The nano reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tanakas possum wrasse in my nuvo 20 and he does really well. They do require small feedings throughout the day i feed mine 3-5 times a day due to not having any pods in the tank its in but if you have a decent pod population 2 feedings a day would most likely be plenty just make sure theres nothing to bully him in the tank they are very timid and i would suggest a cover they are known to jump

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a possum in my NPS tank for years. A cryptic fish as noted. That tank got a lot of small foods, so ideal for a possum. Mine did eat frozen cyclopeeze and calanus.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten gallon is a tiny tank. While you may be "full of pods" now, it is not going to last with something that will hunt and eat them thus put a constant predation pressure on the tiny pods population.
Best of luck.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno in my 10 I have loads and loads of copepods and amphipods with a pink streaked wrasse which is rather similar to a possum and I have no fuge at all. The tanks about 2 years old and I did seed with pods from algae barn a few times but not regularly. I truly think if you qt successfully and feed 2-3x a day you’ll be fine.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they may eat frozen food. If you get one that eat prepare food and you are able to feed him, he will be fine. The most sensitive time is initially trying to get him to eat prepare food. Many will not for a while and starve when he finish with the pods in the tank.
If he does not eat prepare food, then it is like keeping a Mandarin in a 10 gal tank.

Last edited:

Geckko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine in a 40 gallon hex, and now a 54g for a few years. Super hardy and eats frozen no problem. They might be considered “expert” but mines been no harder to take care of than my clownfish. They’re really cryptic like everyone else mentioned though. You’ll have to decide if you want a unique fish you don’t see often or something else that’s a little more exciting. Here’s one of the few pics I have of mine.
B0EF0742-3525-4B1F-9AEF-65A05CB7BE95.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sinibotia

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do pink streaked wrasses compare to possum wrasses? I've been reading a lot more about pink streaked wrasses and it seems they are easier than the possum wrasses. I want to be sure that I get something suitable, though. Do pink streaked wrasses need comparable levels of food/live pods?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back