Assessors

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what everyones thoughts where on adding two assessors to my IM40 at the sometime? I have a Blue Star leopards wrasse, Yellow Coris, Helfrichi, and CB Mandarin. Thank has been up for 3 years.

Yellow
Blue
Randall's

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Randall’s and a Yellow together in a Waterbox 20 Nano Reef with no major issues, for over 3 years now. I added them both at the same time. My guys inhabit different spots in the live rock and we created lots of caves and overhangs when we set up the tank. Each of them have staked out a couple of their favorite spots and other than defending those caves from each other on occasion there’s been really no issues with aggression. They really are amazing little fish!! It’s really fun to watch them swim upside down :) Hope this helps!!

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Randall’s and a Yellow together in a Waterbox 20 Nano Reef with no major issues, for over 3 years now. I added them both at the same time. My guys inhabit different spots in the live rock and we created lots of caves and overhangs when we set up the tank. Each of them have staked out a couple of their favorite spots and other than defending those caves from each other on occasion there’s been really no issues with aggression. They really are amazing little fish!! It’s really fun to watch them swim upside down :) Hope this helps!!
Thanks it sure does

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of interest in assessors lately!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Such underrated little fish!!! So much character and just downright intriguing to watch!!! I don’t have any macneilli yet so I can’t comment on them but like I said I have a pair of Randall’s and a pair of yellows that both actively breed when they feel like it. There’s infighting here and there over territory but with lots of cliffs caves and overhangs these tussles are short lived at most and end as they begin 99.9% of the time.

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of interest in assessors lately!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Such underrated little fish!!! So much character and just downright intriguing to watch!!! I don’t have any macneilli yet so I can’t comment on them but like I said I have a pair of Randall’s and a pair of yellows that both actively breed when they feel like it. There’s infighting here and there over territory but with lots of cliffs caves and overhangs these tussles are short lived at most and end as they begin 99.9% of the time.
Ive had them in the past, love them as well just never more than one, Yellow and Marcneilli. From an owners point of view please discribe the Randalls? never seen one outside of photos. I do have caves over hangs, my Helfrichi cas one cave. Can the be sexed? Looking to add a couple fish thats why I was asking, my issue is I live in AZ to hot for shipping these days, now that LA has them in stock. Thanks

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately assessors are sexually dimorphic. So telling male from female is very hard. I know my males and females due to the fatherly duties they undertake when spawning. The Randall’s are a bit of a hard one to pitch. You’ll never really get a picture of one that will show off how stunning they actually are! In the mid day lights when the whites are at their highest they have a deep navy blue body with the most astonishing orange flecks covering from just behind the head to the tail. The Randall’s are mouth brooders while the yellows only care for the egg ball and will eat the fry basically as they hatch lol. I have noticed with both, if their diet isn’t hearty and varied with added vitamins and aminos both yellow and Randall’s colors won’t have the same vibrance and stun factor. A small word of cation. Your firefish may have a target in his back. While they are quite docile, I have noticed the extremely passive elongate fish tend to get a little harassed from time to time. So I try to keep any fish that has the same body structure away from my assessors, while docile to semi aggressive wrasses seem to be off the radar. Of course most of this is anecdotal but the spawning characteristics and sexual dimorphism.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 yellows that I’ve had for about 5 years now and I only see them when I feed the tank, they spend all their time within the live rock structures of the tank. It’s interesting too me because when they come out to feed 99% of the time they are swimming upside down around the ceiling of the caves they consider their territory. Definitely awesome fish.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will swim in the water column mid day and even beg for food with my Orange shoulder tang and flameback angel. They have even taught the tang and angel to do their signature pirouette dance for food. It’s a rare occasion but absolutely hilarious when it happens. I’m lucky my assessors don’t hide nearly as much as most! (Knocking excessively on wood!!!!) lol.

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection of fish to start with and now a great add on.
As was stated above yellow stand out more in the tank but you can't go wrong with either type.
Try to see if you can get 2 ORA tank raised ones but on the smaller side. I have seen them to pair up as they become mature and full size and they are much more fun to watch their behaviors as a pair.

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection of fish to start with and now a great add on.
As was stated above yellow stand out more in the tank but you can't go wrong with either type.
Try to see if you can get 2 ORA tank raised ones but on the smaller side. I have seen them to pair up as they become mature and full size and they are much more fun to watch their behaviors as a pair.
I would really love to get CB, but ORA advised me a few months ago they will not be breeding them until some time next year. Clowns Angels are thier forces right now.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really love to get CB, but ORA advised me a few months ago they will not be breeding them until some time next year. Clowns Angels are thier forces right now.
I guess I should start actually trying to rear a couple batches huh? Lol. That said the flame back I have is from ORA and he’s a little tank!!! Been a model citizen in a full mixed reef with both meaty and thin skinned lps and lots of sps!!! Gonna go find the biggest piece of wood furniture I have now and slam on it for the next hour.... hahahaha

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As mentioned, you should be fine with a yellow and a macneilli or Randall's, but I would avoid a macneilli and Randall's together in a small tank. If they were both introduced at the same time and were on the smaller side, then I think you would be okay?
Btw, I have an ORA Randall's and it's such an underrated fish. I also think it's the fish version of a tridacna clam (best viewed from above). When viewed through the glass, it has a dark blue color with hints of orange on its belly, especially in the right light. But when you see this fish from above, it's a stunning turquoise iridescent color and probably the best way to admire the fish. Mine has his/her favorite rock that it stays near sometimes, but mostly it really enjoys hanging out with my flasher wrasses, now that they all get along. They are well worth the wait.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, you should be fine with a yellow and a macneilli or Randall's, but I would avoid a macneilli and Randall's together in a small tank. If they were both introduced at the same time and were on the smaller side, then I think you would be okay?
Btw, I have an ORA Randall's and it's such an underrated fish. I also think it's the fish version of a tridacna clam (best viewed from above). When viewed through the glass, it has a dark blue color with hints of orange on its belly, especially in the right light. But when you see this fish from above, it's a stunning turquoise iridescent color and probably the best way to admire the fish. Mine has his/her favorite rock that it stays near sometimes, but mostly it really enjoys hanging out with my flasher wrasses, now that they all get along. They are well worth the wait.
Agreed on all points!!! Lol. Since they are so similar the 2 blue species may just end up at each other’s throats. That said! Seeing them get along and hang out together would be an awesome sight!!!

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Randall's from LA Tuesday, since I don't have a QT had to put right into display. No issues with the other tank mates either, Has been out with some pretty nice color, Once shyness wheres off will try and get a photo....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back