ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't see if you owned the ATI Straton? At any rate, you should pick up a Straton and a Kessil A500X to play around with. I have picked up most of the new lights as I normally do when a new one comes out.

Gives you a chance to try them for yourself and see what works for your setup.

A PAR meter is a nice little item to keep around as well. If you have questions, let me know.

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 a360x’s to use along with my stratons on my new build, not really for par or fill light just shimmer. The last time I used a Kessil was for a 20 gallon tank so I can’t speak to how they would work. Looks like the 500’s would work along with them. I temp mounted the Kessil’s and the Stratons really mute the shimmer
Sam Parker from parkers’s reef YouTube channel just bought a500x to add it to his 3 coral care. He might be doing video soon. Since coral care and stratons are same kind of light it will give us an idea

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a formal release of ATI's rails to North America still a complete unknown, I came up with my own solution. I'm not completely done as I'll be painting the 3d-printed endcaps and brackets silver, but I'm so far pretty pleased with the results. Rails are 1010 profile (1" & 0.5" bars) extruded aluminum (tnutz.com FTW!). Please excuse the garage pics - tank is still being assembled.

PXL_20210824_011343486.jpg

PXL_20210824_011353884.jpg

PXL_20210824_011439823.jpg

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a formal release of ATI's rails to North America still a complete unknown, I came up with my own solution. I'm not completely done as I'll be painting the 3d-printed endcaps and brackets silver, but I'm so far pretty pleased with the results. Rails are 1010 profile (1" & 0.5" bars) extruded aluminum (tnutz.com FTW!). Please excuse the garage pics - tank is still being assembled.

Looks great! I’ll pay you to make 16 of them that slides into 8020 rails, or better yet 8 wider ones that slides into 2 rails as I’m having a custom stand built. Let me know

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I’ll pay you to make 16 of them that slides into 8020 rails, or better yet 8 wider ones that slides into 2 rails as I’m having a custom stand built. Let me know
I'm probably can't build it fully for you but might be able to get you going and/or hand off the design over to someone who can such as Framing Tech (https://www.framingtech.com/). Can you share details about the stand you are getting so I can see how they'd attach? PM's fine too.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks excellent! Id probably choose a different color vs Orange, but the design is clean.

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the Stratons are as slick as snot. Took some par readings today with my seneye meter. The aquarium is 54" long x 28" front to back x 20" deep. I have 2 stratons which are slightly angled in to the center. The outside of the stratons are about 10" off the water and inner sides about 11" off the water, if that makes any sense.

sps.jpg

Basically each straton is lighting a 28" x 27" square. The aquarium has a big 1/2" acrylic center brace. I'm thinking of putting a Kessil a360x in the middle and laying the stratons flat, if I can figure out how to hang a Kessil without the cord causing it to tilt too much.

sps-par.jpg

All the nodes are set to 80% SPS setting.

ati.jpg

The default SPS is really nice to view the colors of the fish, but is defiantly way less blue than is typical. The aquarium has been up for about a month, I am seeing some growth on the SPS. But system is less than stable at this point. Figured ATI might know something I don't, so I would leave it on default for a couple months to see how it works out. Though likely will up the UV and V and drop the white/red at some point for a more blue look. For color reference, the aquarium next to it is light by 3 Radion XR15 Blues all set at 50% AB+. No filter, pixel 4a phone pic.

tanks.MP.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can't find any type of Z-bar up here, and McMaster-Carr wants to charge me $80+ USD shipping for $18 worth of it, I'm just going to find some U-channel profile and use those as brackets to attach it to a 6ft length of 30 series 3060 extrusion. Deflection with 30lbs distributed is under a mm mid-span, so that should work. Going to either put a piece of teflon on all three surfaces that could be touching the fixture housing, or direct bolt to the bracket mount holes.

Won't be as clean as I want since covid is playing havoc with ordering from 8020 directly, but hanging these is going to suck otherwise.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the Stratons are as slick as snot. Took some par readings today with my seneye meter. The aquarium is 54" long x 28" front to back x 20" deep. I have 2 stratons which are slightly angled in to the center. The outside of the stratons are about 10" off the water and inner sides about 11" off the water, if that makes any sense.

sps.jpg

Basically each straton is lighting a 28" x 27" square. The aquarium has a big 1/2" acrylic center brace. I'm thinking of putting a Kessil a360x in the middle and laying the stratons flat, if I can figure out how to hang a Kessil without the cord causing it to tilt too much.

sps-par.jpg

All the nodes are set to 80% SPS setting.

ati.jpg

The default SPS is really nice to view the colors of the fish, but is defiantly way less blue than is typical. The aquarium has been up for about a month, I am seeing some growth on the SPS. But system is less than stable at this point. Figured ATI might know something I don't, so I would leave it on default for a couple months to see how it works out. Though likely will up the UV and V and drop the white/red at some point for a more blue look. For color reference, the aquarium next to it is light by 3 Radion XR15 Blues all set at 50% AB+. No filter, pixel 4a phone pic.

tanks.MP.jpg
I think the LPS or the LPS/SPS preset would be a happy medium spectrum between these two.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. Havnt heard anything back from Phillips yet. Stratons shipment is still few weeks away to New Zealand. Do you think I could run two rows kessil A360x/A500X on front and back and use 3 stratons in middle row ?
I've been talking to Kessil a lot about their lights... the A360x is highly underrated. You would be totally fine with two rows of A360x's. You could probably do two rows and in between each Straton, as well. An A360x can technically get a solid 36"x36" area, but it'll just be missing heavy PAR, which the Stratons will make up for.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 9 months of Stratons on a 180. I use the "mixed corals high" setting. What I find interesting is that with this setting Montis grow as high as 18 inches below the lights while at the same time Acros grow as low as

30 inches below them.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is 9 months of Stratons on a 180. I use the "mixed corals high" setting. What I find interesting is that with this setting Montis grow as high as 18 inches below the lights while at the same time Acros grow as low as

30 inches below them.
Very nice. That's one thing I have noticed as well with my Straton. The PAR is almost the same 8 inches under the water as it is 24 inches under it. Mine is hanging 14 inches above the water surface.

Great post and progress!

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

30 inches below them.
Do you have an image of your tank before the Stratons?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an image of your tank before the Stratons?
Sorry but this is a new tank. Most of these are new pieces. A few of the larger ones were transferred from a 135 that is now history. That tank was lit by Orphek Atlantiks. While I liked those lights far more than my old Radions and Halides I wanted a light that fit the 24 x 24 sections of a 180 better. That narrowed it down to the Stratons or Coral Cares. In the end I just liked the look of the Stratons better as well as not liking all of that weight hanging over the tank. I really think that those two as well as the new Neptune light are similar due to the diffusers that they use. Anecdotally, I think these are a major improvement over the Atlantiks which many consider (as I once did) the best LED available.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

I just purchased 4 GNC Blue Ray Pros to compare to the Stratons. Concerned over their coverage claims due to me moving to a 33" wide tank, but GNC was more than confident that their claimed specs are under the actual coverage.

As some of you know I'm a huge fan of the Stratons so we shall see!

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back