ATI Straton Pro (102, 153, 204)

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do they output more PAR than the original? I think that's what people care about the most, IMO. Sexy is great, but function is more important.
They advertise 30% more output so I guess we have to wait for someone to plunk down the cash on one. It does not seem that ATI is much in the way of pushing their gear via advertising or content creators stateside.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They advertise 30% more output so I guess we have to wait for someone to plunk down the cash on one. It does not seem that ATI is much in the way of pushing their gear via advertising or content creators stateside.
Ah, 30% higher price, 30% more output, so the price per watt stays the same even with the sleek new aluminium body ;)

Very nice light, for my smallish cube aquarium I just upgraded from Radion xr15pro to a second hand (the first generation ofc) ATI Straton. Absolutely loving it so far :)

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pros and the orig stratons- will be a couple days before I can mount (need a jeweler’s screwdriver) but will come back here and share my thoughts & my par meter readings.

Wolflare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely an improvement over the original in looks and performance. I like that's finally App controlled. ATI has been behind on that for a while. But the app is simple with easy pre-sets. I don't have a PAR meter, but I can say the light looks good. The price point will keep a lot of people from this light sadly, but for those that get it, they'll be happy with the investment. I think the price is high due to the new body style of solid aluminum like ATI said, but I assume it's also increased shipping and manufacturing as well as the app development. I don't think it's "Greed-flation" as someone said so much as inflation combined with the leap forward in quality.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely an improvement over the original in looks and performance. I like that's finally App controlled. ATI has been behind on that for a while. But the app is simple with easy pre-sets. I don't have a PAR meter, but I can say the light looks good. The price point will keep a lot of people from this light sadly, but for those that get it, they'll be happy with the investment. I think the price is high due to the new body style of solid aluminum like ATI said, but I assume it's also increased shipping and manufacturing as well as the app development. I don't think it's "Greed-flation" as someone said so much as inflation combined with the leap forward in quality.
I set up my 6 foot mixed reef 16 months ago and got 3 of the original Stratons. If the Pros were available in the US then, I would have gone with the Pros. Good to hear they are an improvement over what was already a fantastic light (I love my Stratons!).

I imagine my Stratons will last for many years but if the need arises to replace them, I fully intend to go with the Pros.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well best I make it clear my off the cuff comment wasn't exactly geared at ATI.
More on the line of everything along the chain of parts ect.. So lets just consider it more of a general rant against the world.. :)

Second kudos for ATI to use both reflectors and passive cooling. Always felt the use of "too good " tir lenses and the like inhibited more than helped leds.

Now for a more physical question, though they talk about an err "upgraded" spectum (which is likely as I'll show) I can not find a diode count and nm change LISTED between the 2.
Granted sometimes one uses "470nm" to mean anything from 467-474nm and there are manuf. and system things that effect this.
Changing "brand" of say 40-ish leds also affects the peak at times as well as different bins in a class.
Details mere details.
I did my best to compare old w/ new regarding spectrum change at 100%
Straton orig. is normal colored. Pro reversed to highlight possible changes.
Note the decrease in "violet" and the shift in max nm to the left.
Subtle but interesting.
Like they say devil is in the details.A deeper blue, less violet, less red, less cyan.
Not sure of the accuracy of this but, well here it is.
stratonandpro.JPG

Others like it as well.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More on the line of everything along the chain of parts ect.. So lets just consider it more of a general rant against the world.. :)

Second kudos for ATI to use both reflectors and passive cooling. Always felt the use of "too good " tir lenses and the like inhibited more than helped leds.

Now for a more physical question, though they talk about an err "upgraded" spectum (which is likely as I'll show) I can not find a diode count and nm change LISTED between the 2.
Granted sometimes one uses "470nm" to mean anything from 467-474nm and there are manuf. and system things that effect this.
Changing "brand" of say 40-ish leds also affects the peak at times as well as different bins in a class.
Details mere details.
Subtle but interesting.
Like they say devil is in the details.A deeper blue, less violet, less red, less cyan.
stratonandpro.JPG

Others like it as well.

Thanks for the thoughtful curiosity and insights, @oreo54. Really appreciate your perspective and the compared spectrum charts.

If you had to guess, would you say this shift left in the spectrum (along with the reduced red, cyan, violet) is likely to make a tank using the Pros at least closer in look to someone using say Kessils or Radions?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Details mere details.
Subtle but interesting.
stratonandpro.JPG

Others like it as well.

When hobbyist see these graphs I always wonder what goes through their minds...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughtful curiosity and insights, @oreo54. Really appreciate your perspective and the compared spectrum charts.

If you had to guess, would you say this shift left in the spectrum (along with the reduced red, cyan, violet) is likely to make a tank using the Pros at least closer in look to someone using say Kessils or Radions?
Which Kessil,which Radion?
;)
Screenshot_20231102-134711.png

Above is probably just the " tuna blue" (0-100 color) part and no ancillary colors(?).
I wouldn't want to guess really .
Some other spectrums:

Besides it is just one" point" in an almost infinite amount of adjustments based on channel tweaking.
Also what is the cost of matching? How many colors does one need to dim?
ECT

Last edited:

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree; European lights from ATI and Giesemann have always been the benchmark in the hobby in terms of quality, function and aesthetic.

I would much rather have an ATI Straton Pro over my aquarium than a comparable Radion G6, Hydra 32, etc.

The quality alone is worth the price, IMO.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look cool and glad they made it stateside.

Couple issues I see right off the bat for my own setup. It would be $6k to light my tank. That’s an absolute no go. The price is way too high to justify even getting one to test.

Second thing is did they actually plan on people mounting these this time? The original was a PITA to mount and ATI never brought anything to market to help. Are these in the same camp or were mounting solutions actually thought of beforehand?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" Man what a weird geeky guy"

:)

No, did not mean you providing them. I was more asking what hobbyist think when they seem them. Does it really make one go ah ha, I will buy that light...

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look cool and glad they made it stateside.

Couple issues I see right off the bat for my own setup. It would be $6k to light my tank. That’s an absolute no go. The price is way too high to justify even getting one to test.

Second thing is did they actually plan on people mounting these this time? The original was a PITA to mount and ATI never brought anything to market to help. Are these in the same camp or were mounting solutions actually thought of beforehand?

From what I understand ATI Aquaristik makes "household lights" in the eyes of the regulations. As soon as you mount it on an aquarium, it becomes an aquarium light. If it becomes an aquarium light it requires waterproofing to some degree. This (from my understanding) is why ATI Aquaristik (Our German counterparts) have never made tank mounts.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can see in this video they have a unique mount for these lights.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For fun..
3 generations of Radion Pros and the ATI. A bit "busy" but hopefully it makes sense.
Keep in mind everything is relative. For the Radions if I decrease the output at peak nm (like the 450-ish channel,) all others will move "up". So what I meant is at what cost would matching be? Remove say 30% of the par of the 450 and it will "look"
like a fuller violet spectrum. As long as you have the "color" one can adjust stuff. Only real exception here is the red mismatch. 660 vs 630-ish.
Not surprising the ATI should look whiter w/ a violet cast at 100% than any Radion, maybe...There is a big "reg blue" component though. :
atig456.JPG

More history:
radiong3.JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only they made smaller ones that the average hobbyist could actually afford lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back