Avoiding precipitation with high macro minerals levels

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would like to keep my macros on levels similar to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (Ca 465, Mg 1390, kH 12) + raising pH to levels between 8.2-8.5 depending on the timeframe.
Of course such levels significantly increase precipitation of minerals such as calcium. What can be done to prevent it, beside of dropping these levels down?

The only idea I have is a prolonged, slow addition of minerals to the system into very high flow area (slower and to stronger water current than it is usually done).
Is there anything else?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been curious about this too, but I would think that as long as you keep those elements in balance (you can use reef calculators to figure this out) it should be fine. At a Ca of 450-465, your dKH will need to be 12-14, and make sure your magnesium stays at that 1390 level, which should help reduce precipitation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been curious about this too, but I would think that as long as you keep those elements in balance (you can use reef calculators to figure this out) it should be fine. At a Ca of 450-465, your dKH will need to be 12-14, and make sure your magnesium stays at that 1390 level, which should help reduce precipitation.

It’s not a matter of balance. Even normal seawater is supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate, and pushing the levels even higher will lead to more likelihood of precipitation. Balance is, in fact, bad. Doubling both alk and calcium is the same as one of them at 4x normal.

Back