Back again

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have viewed this forum for years and learned so much but I do not think I have ever formally done an introduction.
I started my first saltwater tank Christmas of 1989 and it was a FOWLR in a 55 gallon tank. I had it up and running for years and have been absolutely amazed at all of the advancements in the hobby especially with lighting. I was between houses and renting and my landlord would not allow me to have a tank so I sold everything except for my rock. Even though I did not have a tank or even know when I may set one up again I continued to shop for dry rock whenever I traveled, checked craigslist, and Facebook marketplace. If I found a good rock I would buy it in a heartbeat and I have been able to pick up some great pieces over the years.
I have since bought a home and retired so I have plenty of time to pursue the hobby/addiction once again. I am starting small with a biocube 32 all the while continuing to look for a good deal on a 180 wide or larger tank. My biggest dilemma right now is deciding where to set up my RODI/saltwater station. It’s either going to be in the garage which would be very convenient because it is on the same wall that the large display tank will go on when I finally get it.
I love DIY projects and my very first sample I made from hand and did all of the plumbing myself. It was not pretty but it got the job done and cost me a fraction of what a prefab one would have cost. I am tall and I like my tanks to sit on stands that are a little bit taller so I normally make my own stands. I am currently finishing up a 36“ x 24“x24” stand for the biocube and as soon as it is finished I will set the biocube up. I have a GFCI outlet installed in the den where the tank will be going. I am also the proud parent of a 15-year-old red eared slider, a one year old bearded dragon, and a three-year-old rescue cat from the local SPCA who I am convinced is plotting to kill me!
I am not sure how to post pictures but I am going to try to attach some to this post. If I had taken as many notes in the high school and college as I take off of this forum I would have a PhD by now!
* I do not know how to add text above my pictures so here is the explanation: The first picture is a collection of my dry goods, pictures number two through number five are of the stand I am building. I used black paneling and all of the trim on the stand will be painted to match the paneling. I have to put a bottom in it and also install a shelf and then paint it. It may be self-explanatory but the last picture is of the two 55 gallon food grade barrels that I bought for my RODI/saltwater station.*

B16ABDC8-5529-499D-A2CF-B8A69690AA13.jpeg A235B6B1-AE90-41AD-8D27-D2544F2FDEC4.jpeg 3BC48906-234E-45C6-85E8-6F651D4FF57C.jpeg 975A856D-717E-46AE-9302-7D0DF2C876A8.jpeg A804FD3C-77C2-4270-97A9-67B46B328A18.jpeg CDBC386D-D28D-445C-B852-AC0B63BC9109.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have viewed this forum for years and learned so much but I do not think I have ever formally done an introduction.
I started my first saltwater tank Christmas of 1989 and it was a FOWLR in a 55 gallon tank. I had it up and running for years and have been absolutely amazed at all of the advancements in the hobby especially with lighting. I was between houses and renting and my landlord would not allow me to have a tank so I sold everything except for my rock. Even though I did not have a tank or even know when I may set one up again I continued to shop for dry rock whenever I traveled, checked craigslist, and Facebook marketplace. If I found a good rock I would buy it in a heartbeat and I have been able to pick up some great pieces over the years.
I have since bought a home and retired so I have plenty of time to pursue the hobby/addiction once again. I am starting small with a biocube 32 all the while continuing to look for a good deal on a 180 wide or larger tank. My biggest dilemma right now is deciding where to set up my RODI/saltwater station. It’s either going to be in the garage which would be very convenient because it is on the same wall that the large display tank will go on when I finally get it.
I love DIY projects and my very first sample I made from hand and did all of the plumbing myself. It was not pretty but it got the job done and cost me a fraction of what a prefab one would have cost. I am tall and I like my tanks to sit on stands that are a little bit taller so I normally make my own stands. I am currently finishing up a 36“ x 24“x24” stand for the biocube and as soon as it is finished I will set the biocube up. I have a GFCI outlet installed in the den where the tank will be going. I am also the proud parent of a 15-year-old red eared slider, a one year old bearded dragon, and a three-year-old rescue cat from the local SPCA who I am convinced is plotting to kill me!
I am not sure how to post pictures but I am going to try to attach some to this post. If I had taken as many notes in the high school and college as I take off of this forum I would have a PhD by now!
* I do not know how to add text above my pictures so here is the explanation: The first picture is a collection of my dry goods, pictures number two through number five are of the stand I am building. I used black paneling and all of the trim on the stand will be painted to match the paneling. I have to put a bottom in it and also install a shelf and then paint it. It may be self-explanatory but the last picture is of the two 55 gallon food grade barrels that I bought for my RODI/saltwater station.*

B16ABDC8-5529-499D-A2CF-B8A69690AA13.jpeg A235B6B1-AE90-41AD-8D27-D2544F2FDEC4.jpeg 3BC48906-234E-45C6-85E8-6F651D4FF57C.jpeg 975A856D-717E-46AE-9302-7D0DF2C876A8.jpeg A804FD3C-77C2-4270-97A9-67B46B328A18.jpeg CDBC386D-D28D-445C-B852-AC0B63BC9109.jpeg

WOW
Beautiful woodwork!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back