Balling Method Question

Greg2246

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I understand that part C is for balancing out the sodium chloride from parts A and B, however, when testing my magnesium on a regular basis I am finding it to be stable and consistent and wouldn’t want to push the magnesium value any higher.

What I am trying to understand is, how do I dose bio-magnesium (or similar) without pushing my magnesium value up higher.

Would it be a case of reducing the amount of part C added and then dosing bio-magnesium?

P.s. just a noob try a learn from the people who know things :)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I understand that part C is for balancing out the sodium chloride from parts A and B, however, when testing my magnesium on a regular basis I am finding it to be stable and consistent and wouldn’t want to push the magnesium value any higher.

What I am trying to understand is, how do I dose bio-magnesium (or similar) without pushing my magnesium value up higher.

Would it be a case of reducing the amount of part C added and then dosing bio-magnesium?

Why would you dose if your magnesium is stable?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you should use Part C at the recommended dose no matter what readings you get, and not dose any other magnesium if is higher than you want.

Last edited:

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I might be misunderstanding your question. But I will try to address your concern.

If your Mg is "stable" then there is no need to dose Biomagnesium or any other form of magnesium. If your MG drops, then you will want to supplement with some type of Mg additive.

If you are concerned that using the Balling Part C will raise your stable Mg, that is not a problem. The Mg in the Part C (along with the other components) will only keep the ionic balance with the extra NaCl being left over form the Parts A and B. The Mg in that Part C will not raise your Mg. It may help keep your stable Mg, stable. But it will NOT increase the Mg concentration when used in the recommended dose.

I hope this helps clear things up. If not, email me and I can try to explain in more detail. Or we can get on the phone and talk it through.

Greg2246

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be misunderstanding your question. But I will try to address your concern.

If your Mg is "stable" then there is no need to dose Biomagnesium or any other form of magnesium. If your MG drops, then you will want to supplement with some type of Mg additive.

If you are concerned that using the Balling Part C will raise your stable Mg, that is not a problem. The Mg in the Part C (along with the other components) will only keep the ionic balance with the extra NaCl being left over form the Parts A and B. The Mg in that Part C will not raise your Mg. It may help keep your stable Mg, stable. But it will NOT increase the Mg concentration when used in the recommended dose.

I hope this helps clear things up. If not, email me and I can try to explain in more detail. Or we can get on the phone and talk it through.
Hi,

Thanks for the fast responses guys, does clear it up for me, will keep an eye on Mg and if it drops I'll refrain from just upping the part C dose

Tank is doing really good at the min just wanted to make sure I understood what was going on and hopefully learn more as I go.

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know if magnesium is important to keep stable? Or is it good as long as it’s in a certain range?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know if magnesium is important to keep stable? Or is it good as long as it’s in a certain range?

I don’t think it is important for it to be especially stable, but I’ve never seen any data evaluating that belief.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really bothered.

I check every few months, and if it goes under 1250, I bump it back to 1350 over 2-3 days.
Nothing has ever seemed to notice.

My DIY Calcium dosing additive is comprised 80% Calcium Chloride, 18% Magnesium Chloride and 2% Magnesium Sulphate, so it tends to stay reasonably stable.

If you drop under around 1150 or so it will start to affect calcification.

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using just kalk at the moment. Wasn’t sure if I should start dosing mag. Everything is in range at the moment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using just kalk at the moment. Wasn’t sure if I should start dosing mag. Everything is in range at the moment

If it drops sufficiently, I’d add it, but weekly addition is always sufficiently fast.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back