Batfish question

Sman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you keep 3 or 4 batfish together in a fish only setup? And how much of a problem is ich with them ?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they will actually school together, and trust me on this one, those things get HUGE.
Ich, bout the same as other fish, but on the lower side of conracting it.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Scott Michael, "Juveniles are appealing and ornate, but they often refuse food in the home aquarium and are very vulnerable to parasites. They can also attain a large size (17.7 in. [45 cm]), and will outgrow most home tanks. Expert care and a very large, deep aquarium is required." Information quite contrary to the last post. I'd listen to Scott Michael; he has it listed in his red alerts as a species to avoid.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned them, thats how I can post on them. The things will eat just about anything thrown into the tank, contrary to your findings. Do get rather larger, a tank 24" deep and enough room for them to turn around in, and get along with others well. Contrary or not, I've owned em.
JMO, take it or leave it.

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you might have given them the expert care that they require? What happened to them?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave em away. They started eating my Anemones. :sad:

OP
OP
Sman

Sman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply... They are beautiful fish .I think I'm going to just let it sit and run for about 4 or 5 months make my decision when things get right . I have had great luck with my 60 reef so far ( setup since November of last year) ...well I'm not killing anything Ha . I think Ill let the rock do its thing awhile in the sump and tank . I like Angels and Marine betas too . Any input on these would be appreciated .

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Queen and Emperor Angels. Also Marine Bettas are awesome. Got my votes there!!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're "vulnerable to parasites," QT them like any other fish!

As far as eating, make sure they're eating similar foods to yours in the store (watch them eat!). It's good practice with any fish. When I got my basslet, I requested to watch them eat (it is also a helpful indicator for them being adjusted and at least relatively healthy) and seeing the way he attacked the food - as if it were going to disappear in a split second - I knew we were good to go.

OP
OP
Sman

Sman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make sure my fish will eat before I get them , especially salt . Thanks again.

Back