Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

do you know a reliable shop for buying Berghia nudibranch here in Europe?
Apparently it’s really hard to buy them, at the moment…

i have a bad infestation of aiptasia, due to neglecting my tank in the last couple of months, and i need to get back on track.
I’m tempted, as an extreme solution, to empty the tank and keep some “live” water in a few buckets, then put new rocks in the display tank…transferring the corals, fishes and shrimps back in almost immediately after.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lets see if we can get some help...

@SPR1968 @Lasse - do you know of any source for Berghia nudibranchs in Europe?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact these . I do not know the cost to send to Denmark.

Another question - why do you not get an young Acreichthys tomentosus - they are very good as pest control. Its true that some individuals can start to attack other corals too - zoas and some fleshy LPS. But IME - first after the aiptasia is gone. This filefish is rather easy to catch when he/she have done its work. These fish love to sleep near the surface – in a corner or in seagrass or Gorgonian corals. Just wait 2 hours after dark, take a flashlamp and see where it is hiding. But they can hide…..Note the place and next evening take with a net and use the flashlamp. Catch it fast when it is confused. I have used this filefish every time when I needed to but nowadays I have a copperband butterfly instead. It has lived here for one year and eat artemia and cyclops when its not hunting aiptasia.

Sincerely Lasse

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

do you know a reliable shop for buying Berghia nudibranch here in Europe?
Apparently it’s really hard to buy them, at the moment…

i have a bad infestation of aiptasia, due to neglecting my tank in the last couple of months, and i need to get back on track.
I’m tempted, as an extreme solution, to empty the tank and keep some “live” water in a few buckets, then put new rocks in the display tank…transferring the corals, fishes and shrimps back in almost immediately after.
I have no idea where you would buy online where you are - We have a great place here in the UK that breeds and ships but no idea if they ship abroad - Id doubt it though.

FYI - If you go the route of replacing all of your rock then its not a simple case of keeping the water. The water itself has very little "live" stuff in it when it comes to nitrifying bacteria. Its your rocks that act as the filter in that respect. So if you replace all of your rock you must cycle the new rock before replacing in one go. If you just removed old rock and replaced with new DRY rock you would almost certinly have ammonia issues.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where you would buy online where you are - We have a great place here in the UK that breeds and ships but no idea if they ship abroad - Id doubt it though.
And if they ship - I would not dare to buy living goods from UK after Brexit. it has been so dang difficult that one of the leading wholesalers (and one of the best) of fish in the UK have open a warehouse in the EU - just for its EU customers.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot @Peace River for forwarding my request! :)

@Lasse , I’ll contact them. I wrote Korallen-schaetze but they had a major die-out of Berghia during the Christmas break and they don’t know when they will be able to sell them again.
For what regards the Acreichthys tomentosus, I read some good things about his ability to control aiptasia. I have a 25G display tank…can he still fit in or is it too small for such a fish? Moreover, i don’t have a quarantine tank for minimising risk of fish diseases.
Does he show appetite for Lysmata shrimps as well? I have a couple of amboinensis.

@LiamPM, it’s a pity things are just getting more complicated now…however, what’s the shop name? Might still be interesting for reefers from UK dropping by the topic ;)

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Lasse , I’ll contact them. I wrote Korallen-schaetze but they had a major die-out of Berghia during the Christmas break and they don’t know when they will be able to sell them again.
For what regards the Acreichthys tomentosus, I read some good things about his ability to control aiptasia. I have a 25G display tank…can he still fit in or is it too small for such a fish? Moreover, i don’t have a quarantine tank for minimising risk of fish diseases.
Does he show appetite for Lysmata shrimps as well? I have a couple of amboinensis.

@LiamPM, it’s a pity things are just getting more complicated now…however, what’s the shop name? Might still be interesting for reefers from UK dropping by the topic ;)
A quick google of "Berghia online" and theyll be the first hit in google.

They are great to deal with and very well shipped but i completely agree with Lasse in that i doubt they will look to ship outside of the UK due to the pain Brexit has brought with it.

OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard about them! I think they have different websites for different markets.
I haven’t read good reviews about them though…but you’re telling a different story.
I’ve just checked the online fish store from which i normally buy corals has a filefish in stock, so i might just give it a try ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This rather calm fishes - they just hang around not needing large swimming areas. Small ones goes well in a 100 L tank - IMO. At work - in a special 50 L tank for yellow sun coral growing we had one for more than 1 year just in order to control aiptasia. It control aiptasia but did not eat the small polyps from the sun coral at all - they grow like..... Small one should not either bother shrimps IMO.

I’ve heard about them! I think they have different websites for different markets.
I haven’t read good reviews about them though…but you’re telling a different story.
I’ve just checked the online fish store from which i normally buy corals has a filefish in stock, so i might just give it a try ;)
Do you mean MrUtzek? I have bought dry goods from them since 2011 - never have had any problems with them. However -I have not bought any ling things from them.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I got a captive bred tomentosus and has been in the tank for a bit less than 1 month. It took him a while before start biting some aiptasia, but in the end he got some. However, now he just stopped biting them and switched to my neon sinularia and zoanthus…am i doing something wrong or is it just the fish natural behaviour?
I am afraid I would have to bring it to a local fish store if the situation does not change…

it’s a pitty, because is such a fascinating animal

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I got a captive bred tomentosus and has been in the tank for a bit less than 1 month. It took him a while before start biting some aiptasia, but in the end he got some. However, now he just stopped biting them and switched to my neon sinularia and zoanthus…am i doing something wrong or is it just the fish natural behaviour?
I am afraid I would have to bring it to a local fish store if the situation does not change…

it’s a pitty, because is such a fascinating animal
Some individuals will do that switch you describe - IME - or should I say most but what differs is the age of the individuals. some change in their early days - but other wait for nearly retirement before they change behavior

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some individuals will do that switch you describe - IME - or should I say most but what differs is the age of the individuals. some change in their early days - but other wait for nearly retirement before they change behavior

Sincerely Lasse
You’re saying they become savy with age?! :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back