Best Reef light Under $200

meowmix350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started up my tank it is a 55gallon. I would like to turn into reef eventually. my old light fixture was an T8 but is no longer working looking for a new lighting maybe LED. What do you guys thing is a good lighting system for this budget ?. as far was type of coral I want to grow I am still on the fence for budget wise will say medium- low light. thank you for your input. just getting back into the hobby and it is a little over whelming with everything available.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooof 48" long yet 21" deep?

That is a tough budget.

Probably two 165w chinese boxes.

Otherwise get some T5 :p Used is pretty affordable.

Most name brand led lights run $200+ and you need 2-3. :eek: Unfortunately your tank is also pretty deep.

OP
OP
meowmix350

meowmix350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a tough budget.

Most name brand led lights run $200+ and you need 2-3. :eek: Unfortunately your tank is also pretty deep
yes i'm new to keep larger tanks im used to micro. this was a free tank so figured to give it a try. what if only part is illumited that has coral

OP
OP
meowmix350

meowmix350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a tough budget.

Most name brand led lights run $200+ and you need 2-3. :eek: Unfortunately your tank is also pretty deep.
when you say Chinese boxes would you have a link hehe ? I really don't want anything crazy just low to light
thank you for repsonding this one is

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i'm new to keep larger tanks im used to micro. this was a free tank so figured to give it a try. what if only part is illumited that has coral

A single AI hydra 26 HD USED will run around $175-$220 with 24" max spread. This is a discontinued light so used is the only option.

Any name brand lighting is very $$$

A used T5 sunpower probably run you $250-$300 if you are willing to buy bulbs yearly.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when you say Chinese boxes would you have a link hehe ? I really don't want anything crazy just low to light
thank you for repsonding this one is

These lights are marketed under several names including ViparSpectra, Mars Aqua, and many more. They usually come in 165w and 300w configurations.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for whatever its worth, my tank is 4ft long and 30" deep. My tank is FOWLR, and I'm only using 1-1/2 beamswork fixtures. I have had a few zoas and gsp show up as hitchhikers, and are still thriving on the sandbed, and have had to be trimmed to be controlled. I have a frogspawn doing well on a rock about 1/3 down from the surface. coralline grows at all levels. On the flip side, I had a hitchiking zoa colony cycle numerous times through thriving and receding, and it finally disappeared. I have a small torch that has neither receeded nor grown in almost a year. I'm NOT saying these are the right lights for you or that I have a thriving reef. I am saying that you can find low light corals that won't really need high-powered lighting. Heck, with GSP or xenia, it's possibly best that you do barely give them the light they need so they don't spread so fast.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the viparspectra, they have built in timers for 2 channels. there are cheaper black boxs but they are not as good. these guys actually have good service and decent people to work with.

I use ocean revives which has the same electronics and similar leds. been a great light for the last 5 years. cant go wrong for the money

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As a friend also with a 55g, I have 2 AI Hydra 32s on mine.
I started as "inexpensive" as I could but quickly found that those were just cheap (fluval marine 3.0).
Next, I had (still have, if you want them) the black box ones, and I did have coral growth.
I should have just been patient and budgeted lights into my tank, rather than just try as hard as I could to just get it started.
I do have a build thread on my 55 if you wanna see my progression.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with t5 from Amazon
Get some nice ati bulbs and you can grow anything

VIVOSUN T5 Grow Lights 4 ft, T5 Light Fixture Bulbs, 6500K HO Fluorescent Tubes, High-Output T5 Bulbs for Indoor Plants, UL Listed, 4 Bulbs, 8 ft Power Cord, 2 Hanging Cables, On/Off Switch

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started up my tank it is a 55gallon. I would like to turn into reef eventually. my old light fixture was an T8 but is no longer working looking for a new lighting maybe LED. What do you guys thing is a good lighting system for this budget ?. as far was type of coral I want to grow I am still on the fence for budget wise will say medium- low light. thank you for your input. just getting back into the hobby and it is a little over whelming with everything available.

Do you require LED?

Do you require BNIB?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will regret it. For 400 you would get decent lights without disco effect and would get proper controls etc. i would rather save up.

Grumpyfish75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a shorter version of this in my 20g nanoreef. Looking at getting a 48" for my 55.
MICMOL - Smart LED Aquarium Light

R33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try searching for POPBLOOM reef lights.
they are dirt cheap. very high on par.
4 Channels Whites 20000k
Green blues
Ocean blue
Mixed reds uv purple blue white 6500k

These lights would be cheap and when you require you can supplement them with ORPHEK LEDS. Or similar. i would bot recommend below ReefBreeders Photon V2
But this would be very cheap and am running them.
Probably search for your desired version. Reach them through ALIEXPRESS app and you can request them to modify the lights according to
You specifications.
Change in leds. For example you can replace 6500k lights to 450nm and 410 nm bulbs.
Etc

OP
OP
meowmix350

meowmix350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what you are talking about ?
PopBloom S16Pro 60W Reef LED Aquarium Light for Marine Mini Nano Fish Tank Saltwater Aquarium LED Lamp Coral with Arm Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RHRLFQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_6BDK2F4YQHFRC8V
Try searching for POPBLOOM reef lights.
they are dirt cheap. very high on par.
4 Channels Whites 20000k
Green blues
Ocean blue
Mixed reds uv purple blue white 6500k

These lights would be cheap and when you require you can supplement them with ORPHEK LEDS. Or similar. i would bot recommend below ReefBreeders Photon V2
But this would be very cheap and am running them.
Probably search for your desired version. Reach them through ALIEXPRESS app and you can request them to modify the lights according to
You specifications.
Change in leds. For example you can replace 6500k lights to 450nm and 410 nm bulbs.
Etc
PopBloom S16Pro 60W Reef LED Aquarium Light for Marine Mini Nano Fish Tank Saltwater Aquarium LED Lamp Coral with Arm Kit

I asked LFS guy for help about
Lights and he he got all bent out of shape when I asked about the cheaper off brand boxes. How do I get par readings or estimate the strength? They supposedly are rated but is that accurate ?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back