Best RODI system for reef?

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to the reef hobby and I am currently gathering equipment for my tank, I already have the tank itself and the filter, I still need to buy the lights, test kit, lid, food, skimmer, wavemaker, etc. Since I have a lot of equipment to buy, I need to get a budget friendly RODI system, so anybody got any good RODI systems for a 20 gallon long reef tank?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your water quality out of the tap and how much filtration you require. You may want to contact Spectra pure to see what they recommend for starters

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a RODI system at petco thats 51 dollars, will it be good or should I keep looking

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends on your incoming water quality like what has been said above. If you have any doubt then get something better. There are several that use those smaller RO/DI units with not problem. It also depends on how much water you need to make at any one time. Think if you have to do a 100% water change will that unit fit the bill to make the amount of water you need as quickly as you need it? My incoming water (city) is like 200 TDS. I am planning on a 5 stage with separate DI unit cause we use it for drinking water as well. I will just split the line with a "T" and a shut off valve to the DI which I already have. Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience anything that has proprietary items will cost more in the long run.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a BRS 7 stage, I lost about. $10k in coral years ago from a cheap 4 stage unit when my city water dept. made some changes unknowingly. Your saltwater will only be as good as your rodi water. I run the 200GPD with booster pump.

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on having really hardy - beginner friendly soft corals such as zoanthids , any hardy coral options will be nice, will a cheap RODI system work for hardy corals or should I buy the one above?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on having really hardy - beginner friendly soft corals such as zoanthids , any hardy coral options will be nice, will a cheap RODI system work for hardy corals or should I buy the one above?

What is the quality of your source water?

What is the TDS of your source water?
What is the pressure of the source water?
Has it been treated with chlorine or chlorimines?
How much water to you want to make?
How fast do you want to make it?

Last edited:

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The one above is pretty reasonable priced. I would say it’s decent. This is not a cheap hobby and you get what you pay for with everything in it.

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We really need to know your TDS coming in though. Because if it’s high like 300 TDS or more you are going to want a very good unit or you will kill corals and blow through filters and membranes and resin.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends on your incoming water quality like what has been said above. If you have any doubt then get something better. There are several that use those smaller RO/DI units with not problem. It also depends on how much water you need to make at any one time. Think if you have to do a 100% water change will that unit fit the bill to make the amount of water you need as quickly as you need it? My incoming water (city) is like 200 TDS. I am planning on a 5 stage with separate DI unit cause we use it for drinking water as well. I will just split the line with a "T" and a shut off valve to the DI which I already have. Just my 2 cents worth of experience.
This... i recently acquired a 6 stage RO unit from express water, that includes a UV sterilizer. Produces amazing tasting water and takes my tap from 175 TDS to 3. I distill the 3 TDS water to 0 for top off. I'm pretty certain the water is good but I am sending an icp test to be sure.

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the quality of your source water?

What is the TDS of your source water?
What is the pressure of the source water?
Has it been treated with chlorine or chlorimines?
How much water to you want to make?
How fast do you want to make it?
I do not know how to measure the TDS or the pressure of my water, it has chlorine, I want to make 20% of 20 gallons a week, I will like for the speed to be a max limit of an hour or two

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not know how to measure the TDS or the pressure of my water, it has chlorine, I want to make 20% of 20 gallons a week, I will like for the speed to be a max limit of an hour or two
You need to get a TDS meter they are like $15 on amazon.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would get at minimum 6 stage that produces at least 100 GPD. Production depends on incoming water pressure, temperature and incoming TDS. Spectapure is another source to look at great units but expensive. But even soft corals need good water to start with or they will die. Like it was said above nothing in this hobby it cheap for the good stuff. You can skimp on things but for me water is not one that I would skimp on. The one that I post above I know works in my area as a couple of reefers here have that exact unit and get 0 TDS coming out of the DI side. Cheap/poor filters will not clean it up like we want. A lot of the filters are interchangeable as well so we could get better filters for a cheaper RO/DI unit.

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would get at minimum 6 stage that produces at least 100 GPD. Production depends on incoming water pressure, temperature and incoming TDS. Spectapure is another source to look at great units but expensive. But even soft corals need good water to start with or they will die. Like it was said above nothing in this hobby it cheap for the good stuff. You can skimp on things but for me water is not one that I would skimp on. The one that I post above I know works in my area as a couple of reefers here have that exact unit and get 0 TDS coming out of the DI side. Cheap/poor filters will not clean it up like we want. A lot of the filters are interchangeable as well so we could get better filters for a cheaper RO/DI unit.
I would try to breed some fish to get some money, thanks for the replies

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a BRS 7 stage, I lost about. $10k in coral years ago from a cheap 4 stage unit when my city water dept. made some changes unknowingly. Your saltwater will only be as good as your rodi water. I run the 200GPD with booster pump.
I’m looking at 7 stage 150g pro (450$ about) , how often do you have to change the filters

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back