Biocube 14 LED Project

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep this thread updated as parts arrive and things start to come together.

Going to be installing 12 Cree XR-E R2 Leds on my biocube 14. I will be running the ELN 60-48D dimmable driver tuned down. I plan to wire these as posted below

Any experts/DIY'ers please feel free to chime in. :)

Tools:
Solder and Soldering iron
Wire cutters/Wire Strippers
Drill
Multimeter
Misc. screwdrivers
Pliers
Electrical tape
and im sure ill use alot more when the time comes..

Current parts list:
12 Cree 3W XR-E LEDS 8 Royal Blue 4 Cool White(ReefLEDLights)
Meanwell ELN 60-48D Driver(ReefLEDLights)
Nanocustoms biocube 14 Heatsink(Nanocustoms)
10K linear pot(Radioshack)
9v REGULATED wallwart(SparkFun Electronics)
80 degree optics (will see if i use these of not)
24 #4 Self Tapping Machine Screw
2 Part Heat Sink Epoxy

Asst heatshrink and wire(RadioShack)
Wall plug
and im sure ill need a few other things..

Here is a wiring diagram for wiring up the leds provided by Bill at Reef Led Lights.
Led-Lights-Chart-12.jpg

Here is a spec sheet on the ELN-60 series drivers.
http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/ELN-60-spec.pdf

Datasheet on the CREE XR-E LEDS
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

Rather than building the LM7317 for the dimmer circuit i will take anothers approach and use the 9v wallwart. This is very similar to the sticky posted at the top of this forum. Id like to thank Bill for the video. While using the 9V regulated wallwart on the dimmer circuit for the meanwell to get the 750mA. I should need to set the 10K potentiometer to full then adjust slowly and carefully(this is an electronic internal after all, so be careful) SRV2 screw inside the Meanwell cover until you get something close to 750mA using a multimeter. I am in no way the one who came up with this it is just a method i have seen others use and have success with. If you dont understand this step still, see this thread and bills video. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/led-lighting-specific/51128-how-adjust-eln-60-48-video.html

Last edited:

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 1000mA fuse will do no good since its rated above the recommended 800-900mA setting on the driver. get one thats rated around the same as the setting that you dial your driver to...

shapermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are correct, you run them in series. I think the driver has a thermal cut off built in. you want to protect the driver on the ac side of the ckt.

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuse really isn't going to help. If you put it between the LEDs and the driver, the LEDs will blow faster than the fuse will. If you put it between the driver and the wall, it won't see the same surge during a short to the LEDs that the output side of the driver would see, and you have to over rate the fuse anyway to compensate for the low PFC and high surge currents (up to 60A).

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuse really isn't going to help. If you put it between the LEDs and the driver, the LEDs will blow faster than the fuse will. If you put it between the driver and the wall, it won't see the same surge during a short to the LEDs that the output side of the driver would see, and you have to over rate the fuse anyway to compensate for the low PFC and high surge currents (up to 60A).

I thought that may be the case. I may have to scratch that idea.

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assuming i can run them off the 9v wallwart that provides the dimmer circuit. Does anyone forsee any problems with this? Possibly to loud?

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one of the old fans from my BC14. It's a 12V, 0.08A fan. Just did a quick test, and they don't run off a fresh 9V battery (at least mine doesn't). I think you're going to have to try something else.

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one of the old fans from my BC14. It's a 12V, 0.08A fan. Just did a quick test, and they don't run off a fresh 9V battery (at least mine doesn't). I think you're going to have to try something else.
Thank you, i will be ditching the biocube fans, mine make horrid noises. I will have to mess with my new ones once i get them in.

MyLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, is ti a custom fitted heat sink that goes into the cube's hood? And somewhere you want to mount fans to keep it cool?

You have already been to radio snack, why not check out the PC fans. I am sure you can find a few that run on either 12V DC or 5V DC.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back