Biota Yellow Tang review

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one august fro AB and indeed it was small translucent but healthy and eating like a pig from the get go
Was eventually added to the display tank and promptly took off after a much larger tang who only defended itself to the point that the yellow was removed and now the ruler of a 40 cube until it out grows it
it recovered from its battle scars amazingly well and expect to have it at least as long as it takes for the Hawaiian authorities to come to their senses

now how about a captive bred Potters...
Would love a captive bred potters

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine
I just received my yellow tang today, thanks for all y’all do, great packaging!
What should I be feeding? I’ve given 2 feedings of mysis shrimp and some nori so far and he hasn’t eaten. Hopefully just due to the stress of shipping. Any other recommendations on what to feed? Thanks!!!

stealyourhouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine
What should I be feeding? I’ve given 2 feedings of mysis shrimp and some nori so far and he hasn’t eaten. Hopefully just due to the stress of shipping. Any other recommendations on what to feed? Thanks!!!
I wouldn't worry too much the first day. I got mine yesterday, and he did eat in the afternoon (Hikari brine shrimp). Today I tried feeding Nori in a clip, and he ignored it, but seemed to really enjoy the TDO-C1 Chromo Boost Pellet food.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine
Thanks for the kind words! At our facility they get a few daily feedings of Pellets. We mix TDO B2, C1, PE pellet, and Hikari's spirulina pellets. We also have nori sheets and ulvu in their tanks throughout the day and they get feedings of PE Calanus and Hikari's spirulina enriched brine shrimp daily.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! At our facility they get a few daily feedings of Pellets. We mix TDO B2, C1, PE pellet, and Hikari's spirulina pellets. We also have nori sheets and ulvu in their tanks throughout the day and they get feedings of PE Calanus and Hikari's spirulina enriched brine shrimp daily.
Thanks, I have some PE 1mm pellets, do you think those are too big? I’m thinking I need to get some TDO.

The AP Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a pinch we've crushed up larger pellets into a rough powder and they'll go for it.
Glad I came across this. Mines eating fine but even the small pellets are big, he/she picks at it them the my pig clown comes and takes it. I’ve been leaving a nori clip in there and I can see it eating but I’ll also try the crushed pellets. Great, active, healthy fish! Very happy with my purchases from Biota.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a pinch we've crushed up larger pellets into a rough powder and they'll go for it.
Thanks! He’s reall come around in the last few days. TDO B2 arrived today but he’s been eating the frozen mysis shrimp the last couple days too. I just got in some Rod’s food for herbivores and I’m going to give that a shot as well. Thanks for all the advice!

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order 3 of them for my tank from algae barn. Excited for them to arrive. Weird thing they shipped but it won’t arrive for 2 days. This concerning to me but Owell can’t do anything we receive the fish.

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jake? Is it true that ya'll don't overnight live fish? or was that a rumor?

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jake? Is it true that ya'll don't overnight live fish? or was that a rumor?
When you buy a fish from shop.thebiotagroup.com, we ship our livestock via UPS Next Day Air. Each animal is individually packaged with adequate water and oxygen. We also include additives that prevent shipping stress and water toxicity to ensure your livestock arrives in the best condition.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price bump is acceptable to me. If not Biota then any vendor that carries their fish.
Only problem now, if Biota goes under, there would be no supply of yellow tangs.

Also, are people "scalping" fish? I tried getting a onespot foxface for 2 months on LA, and eveytime sold out within 5 seconds!

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy a fish from shop.thebiotagroup.com, we ship our livestock via UPS Next Day Air. Each animal is individually packaged with adequate water and oxygen. We also include additives that prevent shipping stress and water toxicity to ensure your livestock arrives in the best condition.
When do y’all ship orders from algae barn?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have had Yellow Tangs for a long time without them getting huge. @outerbank has a 26 or 27-year old Yellow Tang and it’s about 5” or so.

@CanuckReefer has an 18-year old one and it’s probably about 5” as well.

A South African guy with a 1750 gallon tank has had some Yellow Tangs for 20+ years or so and they got to maybe 5-5.5”.

So I don’t think many exceed 5.5-6” if started small.

However I’d still give them at least a 4ft tank, 5ft better and of course 6ft and up even better.

You can never go wrong with more room for active fish like Tangs, or most fish for that matter.

With the exception of maybe the smaller Bristletooths, many Tangs seem to have a more linear and back and forth swimming style compared to the more zig-zag style of fish like angels.

FishBase lists their max size at 8”, 7” ones (IMO usually caught at or near that size) are considered “show size.”

The Tangs IMO that really need big, big tanks are mostly found in the genus Acanthurus, Naso and Paracanthurus (Dory). Sailfins too, they’re the giants among the Zebrasoma genus. Get big and very tall.

IMO 4ft 100-gallon (like the RSR 425- if I’m correct) would be a minimum.

Back