BTA Hiding

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a really pretty Green BTA from the LFS on Saturday along with some crabs to round out my CUC. Got everyone acclimated and into the tank that afternoon, and placed the BTA in a semi shaded spot I thought he would like on my rocks. Woke up Sunday morning and he was gone! After searching the whole tank I finally saw a tiny bit of a tentacle through a crack in the rocks using a flashlight. He's hidden himself WAY inside my rock-work. My question is, is it smart enough to come out into the light when it's ready, or do I need to evict him? I don't want him dying from lack of light, but I'm also not keen on taking apart my entire pile of rocks to get to him.

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a really pretty Green BTA from the LFS on Saturday along with some crabs to round out my CUC. Got everyone acclimated and into the tank that afternoon, and placed the BTA in a semi shaded spot I thought he would like on my rocks. Woke up Sunday morning and he was gone! After searching the whole tank I finally saw a tiny bit of a tentacle through a crack in the rocks using a flashlight. He's hidden himself WAY inside my rock-work. My question is, is it smart enough to come out into the light when it's ready, or do I need to evict him? I don't want him dying from lack of light, but I'm also not keen on taking apart my entire pile of rocks to get to him.
He will eventually come out if he wants but no matter where you put him in the tank he will find his comfort spot.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes our tank lights are much more powerful than an LFS.

Even though you think it’s shaded, it may have much more PAR than what it had been getting.

The key now is to not change lighting or flow. It will come out when it’s ready and it will find a spot it likes.

Keep in mind that if you make any light or flow changes, it may move again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PapaWhisky

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... it's out! I moved the rocks just enough that it had several options to get out and it looks like it found it's new spot. Was out all weekend, but still has it's foot attached inside the crevice so it can hide when it wants to.

IMG_4363.jpg

grammyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am curious....I just purchased my first bta. I put it in my coral qt tank and it has been there for a week and looks good. Doing regular water changes and fed it after 4 days in qt. Did you qt yours and if so how long? Thanks so much.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Seems like every time I get a nice nem (BTAs, but also LTAs and haddonis) and put it just where I want it, it immediately up and moves to somewhere that I can't see it. Very frustrating! They almost all eventually move to a reasonably lit (and visible) location though; sometimes takes a few weeks before they stabilize. :)

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back