OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared Adams Cemetery party before and a few people said mine looks different than his pic. I was talking to Adam and he shared the picture of the Cemetery party when it was freshly brought. It's pretty impressive to see the changes a coral goes through in captivity. The new growth on mine is bright blue (much bluer than this pic shows) and to me is starting to get the color that the colony had when it was brought in and not what Adams colony turned into. I find all this pretty cool and weird at the same time.

Adams colony now
adams pic.jpg

This is what it looked like when it was brought in
Fresh import.png

New growth on mine
BC Cemetary party April 7.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared Adams Cemetery party before and a few people said mine looks different than his pic. I was talking to Adam and he shared the picture of the Cemetery party when it was freshly brought. It's pretty impressive to see the changes a coral goes through in captivity. The new growth on mine is bright blue (much bluer than this pic shows) and to me is starting to get the color that the colony had when it was brought in and not what Adams colony turned into. I find all this pretty cool and weird at the same time.

Adams colony now
adams pic.jpg

Fresh import.png

New growth on mine

Those look like 3 different corals. Amazing how coral colors can vary from tank to tank

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adams colony now
adams pic.jpg

Fresh import.png

New growth on mine
Is this how we get all the beautiful named corals? Someone gets a wild or maricultured piece and brings it inside and sees what happens? Do some not change much, and some change drastically? I have assumed this is what has been going on, but never confirmed. I find this cool, but makes we wonder why more people don't just go for wild or mari, guess they are harder to get and harder to domesticate.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this how we get all the beautiful named corals? Someone gets a wild or maricultured piece and brings it inside and sees what happens? Do some not change much, and some change drastically? I have assumed this is what has been going on, but never confirmed. I find this cool, but makes we wonder why more people don't just go for wild or mari, guess they are harder to get and harder to domesticate.

Pretty much. The colors change and deepen or morph because we’re exposing them to artificial lights and wavelengths they’re not used to in the wild. There’s a video on YT from a coral farmer in Indo or Fiji (something like that) where he talks about it in great detail, search thru the reefbuilders videos. It’s interesting.

Wild pieces have been hit and miss for me, and I don’t think they do well with LEDs right off the bat, IME. Sometimes they go thru many hands before yours and it doesn’t work out too well. The mariculture ones are sometimes risky because of the pests they may harbor (aside from acro crabs).

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared Adams Cemetery party before and a few people said mine looks different than his pic. I was talking to Adam and he shared the picture of the Cemetery party when it was freshly brought. It's pretty impressive to see the changes a coral goes through in captivity. The new growth on mine is bright blue (much bluer than this pic shows) and to me is starting to get the color that the colony had when it was brought in and not what Adams colony turned into. I find all this pretty cool and weird at the same time.]

I'm on board with color shifts, but the structure of those look so different. His current photo looks almost deepwater, whereas the original looks like a tabling acro. I'm still not sure on this. ;Bored

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally wanted to take a pic of how many babies my Jawbreaker mushroom has but the majority are under the sps coral above so I can't get a picture of them since I can't move my camera anymore forward. I find them still beautiful so I wanted to share. They are much larger than they look in this pic with the babies being slightly larger than a quarter.
Mushrooms.jpg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pickups from RAP! Wish I could have made it. I'm thinking we might be able to work out some nice trades when I come down in June.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adams colony now
adams pic.jpg

Fresh import.png

New growth on mine

You know, this is testament to the fact that so many of these named pieces are actually the same coral, we just don't know it. Our home tanks vary so much in conditions, lighting, water quality, movement, feeding habits, stability, etc, etc, that it can have a HUGE impact on how a coral ends up looking. Corals are very adaptable, but must make changes to their body shape, pigmentation, etc to thrive in captivity. This shows that process beautifully, thanks for sharing those pics!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on board with color shifts, but the structure of those look so different. His current photo looks almost deepwater, whereas the original looks like a tabling acro. I'm still not sure on this. ;Bored
So, this is an important point. Corals actually react to the flow they are in just as much as they do to lighting. Vincent Chalais illustrated this recently for Reef Builders in a talk he did for them. He shows pictures of the same coral placed in different places in the ocean all exposed to different amounts of flow. It's a familiar efflo coral that we've all seen in captivity for years. Look at the differences in structure when the coral is placed in different places in the ocean...(His job is a dream by the way...he farms corals in Indonesia and basically spends his days doing the same thing we do in aquariums, but gets to use the ocean instead. If he wants more light, he moves his corals to shallower water. More flow, he moves them to more off shore location, etc. Very interesting to hear him talk about his work.)

Skip ahead to the 7:35 mark and look at the slide he presents:

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally wanted to take a pic of how many babies my Jawbreaker mushroom has but the majority are under the sps coral above so I can't get a picture of them since I can't move my camera anymore forward. I find them still beautiful so I wanted to share. They are much larger than they look in this pic with the babies being slightly larger than a quarter.
Mushrooms.jpg
Oh how love some filthy flubbery goodness :D They look amazing Bubba!!

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, this is testament to the fact that so many of these named pieces are actually the same coral, we just don't know it. Our home tanks vary so much in conditions, lighting, water quality, movement, feeding habits, stability, etc, etc, that it can have a HUGE impact on how a coral ends up looking. Corals are very adaptable, but must make changes to their body shape, pigmentation, etc to thrive in captivity. This shows that process beautifully, thanks for sharing those pics!
Or some vendors know it's the exact same piece and coloration, yet still rename it as their own.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adams colony now
adams pic.jpg

Fresh import.png

New growth on mine

That is pretty cool.
Every time I see your pictures I am amazed by how healthy and colorful everything is.
I wish I had your reef craftsmanship.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back