OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you still be selling frags these days? Would love to come by and pick some up

Yes I will be selling frags again soon. Just waiting for things to fully color up. Maybe another month and I’ll be selling again.

@bubbaque Hi. When you mount the frag plugs to the rock do you use glue>epoxy>glue? Which brand you using?
Yes that’s how I mount them.

I use the instant ocean epoxy and gel super glue from the dollar store.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time for the monthly tank shot.
About the bottom, once the coral take off and block the light to the bottom, the coraline will reduce its growing rate.
I would take just some temporary measures for the moment and had great success with a collector urchin (Tripneustes gratilla).
I do have some pincushion urchins but they only eat coralline sometimes in my tank.

I couldn’t take the pink bottom any longer so today I added sand. I like the look so much more than bare bottom. Plus it seemed to really brighten up the tank, which is a plus.

4C8E502C-FE02-41E1-87EA-607F6D020EA2.jpeg

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some pincushion urchins but they only eat coralline sometimes in my tank.

I couldn’t take the pink bottom any longer so today I added sand. I like the look so much more than bare bottom. Plus it seemed to really brighten up the tank, which is a plus.

4C8E502C-FE02-41E1-87EA-607F6D020EA2.jpeg
Awesome, I agree on how it brightens the tank up. Tank is looking good, I really like the arched rock on the right with the swimthrough.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiosity; how does one physically add sand to an existing tank like that? I can't imagine just dumping it in.
The tropic Eden reef flakes comes dry in a bag so I filled one of the brute cans of water and rinsed the sand for about two hrs until it was mostly clear. Then I filled another can full of rodi water to rinse the tap water off and I added it to the tank with a cup. It took a while but it’s not as messy as the live sand that comes in bags.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I followed your lead on my new dry rock tank and went bare bottom. Not sure how I feel about it yet but it is easy to clean. I guess we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the info in this thread. Sand does look nice in your tank...............

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it ! ! But then I like sand better than BB. Only problem is going to be when it starts to change color ;)

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it ! ! But then I like sand better than BB. Only problem is going to be when it starts to change color ;)
Hopefully it won’t turn pink this time as I plan to stir it weekly. My last sand turned pink because I never touched it.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You truly are an amazing reef keeper. Your tank, coral and photos are nothing short of incredible! Great job and thank you for sharing your system with us!
Thanks for that amazing compliment!

I see you live kinda nearby so if you ever are up for trading let me know. I travel to Lakewood park pretty often so I am always near your neck of the woods.

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want sand to stay clean, just add a couple of gobys. I only have one in my 3 foter and he does an amazing job with my Reeflowers pearl white sand

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that amazing compliment!

I see you live kinda nearby so if you ever are up for trading let me know. I travel to Lakewood park pretty often so I am always near your neck of the woods.
You earned it! If the frags in my new tank ever get large/desirable enough to trade I’d love to! Lol. And yeah Lakewood park is less than 10 minutes from me, small world. I work at the visitors center at FAU Harbor Branch which is right by there and we have some pretty cool/different saltwater aquariums if you are ever looking for something to do while you are in the area!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want sand to stay clean, just add a couple of gobys. I only have one in my 3 foter and he does an amazing job with my Reeflowers pearl white sand
Sand sifting gobies? That’s one purchase I regret until this day. I hate coming come to acros covered in sand. I had to buy an 18” baster to keep things clean, and my hands out of the tank. Hate those a holes.

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting gobies? That’s one purchase I regret until this day. I hate coming come to acros covered in sand. I had to buy an 18” baster to keep things clean, and my hands out of the tank. Hate those a holes.

Agree, highly doubt my V. Strigata will be allowed in my upgrade tank... He's buried LPS a couple of times :rolleyes:
I'd consider something from the Cryptocentrus genus tho, as they rarely leave the sand surface before releasing the sand. They're much more static though, so might not be as useful for the sand sifting purpose.

@bubbaque which ones have you considered?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back