Can I Eat My Tank's Macroalgae?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, is is it safe to harvest and eat macroalgae from my own aquarium, specifically members of the Ulva genus (and possibly Caulerpa lentillifera in the future)? Is there something they would contain after having grown in my aquarium that would make them inedible or would a thorough wash under the tap be enough to make them fit for consumption?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why??? And NO

1632699975182.gif

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to puke. Imagine eating copepods on the side of fish poop plants.

We get vegetable matter from land plants. The only things we eat from the ocean (plant wise) is nori. It’s been cleaned and dried. And even then it doesn’t really taste good in comparison to the real veggies we eat.

It’s a no for me personally!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be concerned about any residual toxins on the macro algae from tank inhabitants, toxins that can’t be denatured using conventional food prep methods.
And bacteria!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no !!

if something is harvested from the ocean we can say it was raised in low nutrients ……
Our tanks we suggest nutrients low but can we guarantee low and stable as the ocean ?

is the ocean contained in a 100gal box ?
synthetic lighting , salt

I could think of millions of things to eat before i resort to what’s in my aquarium ……

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, is is it safe to harvest and eat macroalgae from my own aquarium, specifically members of the Ulva genus (and possibly Caulerpa lentillifera in the future)? Is there something they would contain after having grown in my aquarium that would make them inedible or would a thorough wash under the tap be enough to make them fit for consumption?

if you share your food (shrimp, mussels, etc) then they should share theirs?

along those lines, I bought Dulce because someone said their tangs loved it and they enjoyed snacking on it. Was sure to get airdried (not smoked or flavor added). Whomever said this tastes like bacon was wrong. My tangs also had no interest.

Unlike people freaking in this post, what's the worst that happens, maybe thrush or bacterial infection... taste it. *IF* you like that tiny taste, then culture it on the side, both for your tank's fish and yourself. I've got a separate 5g tank that I'm growing live Red Ogo to feed my tangs every day... I dose it with Chaeto Grow, NeoNitrate & NeoPhosphate (but it takes just drops), so I know what's in that tank. Still not tasting it but if you are in Dallas TX area, stop on by and just like I do for the fish, I'll give you a sprig

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to puke. Imagine eating copepods on the side of fish poop plants.
I have a lot of bad news for you. Nothing is bugging free.
Bug parts are found any many seasons. I mean many! I hope you don't eat chocolate!

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies! I will err on the side of caution and leave my macroalgae out of my body (and set aside the thought of being fueled by ChaetoGRO :)).
Personally I have tried these seaweeds or dishes with seaweed:
- Nori
- Roasted, salted seaweed
- Limu (probably Gracilaria)
- Miso soup with seaweed
- Japanese seaweed salad
- 미역국
I love them all, especially that last one!
Esaladang lato
  • 150 g lato or sea grapes, thoroughly rinsed
  • 2 small sweet tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 tbsp cane vinegar
  • pinch of sugar
  • 1 heaping tbsp fermented shrimp paste / bagoong
I have never eaten that, but it looks delectable!
If you're growing it in a separate tank outside the aquarium for both personal and fish use, that's a much better scenario.
Perhaps someday, but not now.
Why??? And NO
I have eaten prepared seaweeds for as long as I can remember and trying some new varieties sounded interesting, but I have decided against that.
Unlike people freaking in this post, what's the worst that happens, maybe thrush or bacterial infection... taste it. *IF* you like that tiny taste, then culture it on the side, both for your tank's fish and yourself. I've got a separate 5g tank that I'm growing live Red Ogo to feed my tangs every day... I dose it with Chaeto Grow, NeoNitrate & NeoPhosphate (but it takes just drops), so I know what's in that tank. Still not tasting it but if you are in Dallas TX area, stop on by and just like I do for the fish, I'll give you a sprig
Sorry, I live in the Bay Area. I dose/have dosed:
- Kent Marine PhytoPlex
- ChaetoGRO
- Bio-Spira
- Microbacter 7

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%

Back