lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i am new to reefing and i am planning on getting a 55 gallon reef tank. i am wanting to get the smallest option for a blue tang on reef beauties and also a yellow tang but i dont know if it will fit. can somebody help?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i am new to reefing and i am planning on getting a 55 gallon reef tank. i am wanting to get the smallest option for a blue tang on reef beauties and also a yellow tang but i dont know if it will fit. can somebody help?
I have a 55 now, and I would strongly not suggest it the blueprint on these tanks are so narrow they would outgrow that tank very fast.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks so much, the problem is i have about 60 inches of space lengthwise for a tank, do you think i could go more vertical?
tangs strongly prefer longer runs IMO

a single tang in a 4ft tank maybe ok. However you will learn the expression "tang Police" as they may come for you. I have a buddy who has a 120 with tangs.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a kole tang in a 75 for about 9 months. He's about 4 inches and a bit chubby. At times I feel he's already outgrowing the tank, particularly when he does his territorial, dart back and forth thing. They are incredibly strong and able swimmers. And theyre amazing fish...imho Id say yeah, a 55g is fine, especially if you get a smaller kole tang. After a year or so, if you feel he's gotten too big for his environment, you can always upgrade or rehome him.

OP
OP
lilithereefer

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a kole tang in a 75 for about 9 months. He's about 4 inches and a bit chubby. At times I feel he's already outgrowing the tank, particularly when he does his territorial, dart back and forth thing. They are incredibly strong and able swimmers. And theyre amazing fish...imho Id say yeah, a 55g is fine, especially if you get a smaller kole tang. After a year or so, if you feel he's gotten too big for his environment, you can always upgrade or rehome him.
thanks i was also wondering if anyone knows about any good cheap places to get tanks?

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine at petsmart, years ago, but that is only a temporary solution. They are definitely not forever tanks. Petco also has good sales from time to time.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep tangs, go as big as possible. As far as getting a good deal, you may want to look for local reefer clubs in your area because someone is always selling equipment on those forums, especially in densely populated areas. Just be cautious and make sure that seller is legitimate and a well established member. Best of luck to you and welcome!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Small tangs would be kole eye tang and small tomini.
As indicated- if tangs are your dreams, for the little extraover suggested 180g, go with a 210 g and you will have joyous room for rock and beautiful tangs and a couple of angels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back