Candy Coral: "I'm meeeellltinggg..."

SBlisters

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2016
Messages
143
Reaction score
119
Location
Aurora, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too new to coral to really know what things should be doing, or what is alarming vs normal. My candy cane coral is looking very strange. There are some bare spots. Part of it looks like it's melting?!

20161119_213932.jpg


20161115_220041.jpg


20161119200642.jpg


20161119200612.jpg
 
I think u have ghosts.....

image.jpeg
Lol crazy you caught that from that photo

I agree whatever is there is stinging it. That part drooping down is some broken skeleton but the tissue is alive trying to repair itself. Had that happen before.
 
What are your parameters? Calcium,alkalinity? Those green mushrooms on the bottom right will sting nearby coral.
My pH is 7.8, but I don't know my current calcium content. Salinity is 1.026. I didn't realize the mushrooms could sting! I'll move them to a different location in the tank and see if that gets rid of the ghosts...
 
The move of the candycane more away from the mushrooms may have been exactly what to do. It looks more puffed up and happy now. Thanks so much for the advice! Hopefully the skeletal part will start filling in now.

20161124_222934.jpg


20161124_222418.jpg


20161124_222440.jpg


20161122_220538.jpg
 
To me it looks like the light issue. Shading in particular, that's why all of the individual polyps puffed up, when you moved it up, what lights are you running?
 
To me it looks like the light issue. Shading in particular, that's why all of the individual polyps puffed up, when you moved it up, what lights are you running?
The skeleton was showing when I got it, so that is what is now filling in. For the light, I've got an Aqua Ray on a bracket.
20161109072657s.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new