Carpet surfing. AGAIN!!!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible. Gobies can be very skittish so anything can startle them really.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are just flight risks. I always cover my overflows & weigh down my top.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have mesh left over, you could temporarily apply a new layer of mesh (2 layer) over top with a bit of off-set to make it harder to get through. You only need it for a few to several month until it grows big enough to not fit through mesh.

Also, check for anything that could be causing periodic disturbances at night. Humidifiers kicking on or ac unit. Skittish fish don't need any excuses to jump.

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank, I've always been worried of a diamond goby getting too big and not getting enough to eat so I opted to go conch and honestly the dude is a workhorse.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank, I've always been worried of a diamond goby getting too big and not getting enough to eat so I opted to go conch and honestly the dude is a workhorse.
Good to know. I’m probably going to the store to get some snails etc for the frag tank. Gonna try to control myself... last time I almost ended up with half a dozen zoas and no snails ;Hilarious

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I’m probably going to the store to get some snails etc for the frag tank. Gonna try to control myself... last time I almost ended up with half a dozen zoas and no snails ;Hilarious
Yeah, this WWC sale this weekend is reallllllyyyy hard for me to say no to since it's my birthday weekend, but I digress, I must resist.

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far 3 options on the table. Get a bigger fish, get smaller netting, or alternative sand sifters. Suggestions are appreciated! :)
My diamond goby did the same thing after 2 weeks of living comfortably and cleaning my entire sand bed. I really think bullying in my tank is for real. I see my tang constantly butt nudging my goby, shrimp, damsel, and recently passed flame angel.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those lids, they are light. Have you considered it hits the cover hard enough to pop it up and get out? May a little wt on the edges would stop it.
No way it can force the cover open and still maintain momentum to fly out of tank.
Yes! I considered that when I cut it down to size. It is more pressure fit and does not come off easily at ALL
It was also a very small fish. If it were a tang etc I would say maybe, but the fish was small and the lid was still on when I found it this morning. When the lid comes off, it takes somebody to actually tap the lid into place to get it back on.

Hmm it did seem like it could have climbed out, the rock climbing freshwater gobies are great at climbing. I was really convinced that the answer had been found with a climbing escape.

jimc40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a diamond goby recently jump in between lid and overflow. which is a very small gap no larger than 1/4 inch. he eventually made his way in to return and jammed up my gate valve. good thing I plumbed a emergency overflow.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a tiger tail sea cucumber? Eats dirty sand, poops out bright white piles.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a bigger goby is an option. Anyone else have experience with tiger sand conchs?

I had one of those mini conchs for about a year. It was actually pretty cool. It died suddenly, I am not sure if the hermit got it, or if it died and they found it. Up until then the only annoying thing was it would knock over anything on the bottom not nailed down but it was really bad at climbing so did not bother anything else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back