Cat shark hatched

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New cat shark hatched today. Hopefully everything goes good it looks healthy and active. Hoping to find another of this species sometime in the future.

IMG_20211003_214104707.jpg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive hatched a few, its super cool to be a part of. Hope he starts eating well for you and lives a long healthy life.

P.s. some people are gonna jump in here about care requirements but i saw you're already planning a pool for him to live in. Glad to see he won't be stuck in a tiny tank his whole life.

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive hatched a few, its super cool to be a part of. Hope he starts eating well for you and lives a long healthy life.

P.s. some people are gonna jump in here about care requirements but i saw you're already planning a pool for him to live in. Glad to see he won't be stuck in a tiny tank his whole life.
Thanks! Ya he gets his own pond to share with two domino damsels.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick pic. Ate for me already so hopefully everything goes good with this guy.
The presence of solid, black spots on the shark lead me to believe it is not the common Coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Maybe it’s a rare mutation. Maybe it could be a different species (such as Atelomycterus macleayi or Atelomycterus baliensis). Whatever the case, you have quite a magnificent specimen!

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of solid, black spots on the shark lead me to believe it is not the common Coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Maybe it’s a rare mutation. Maybe it could be a different species (such as Atelomycterus macleayi or Atelomycterus baliensis). Whatever the case, you have quite a magnificent specimen!
I'll post a pic in a few weeks, it is slowly losing some of his coloration. Im not sure exactly which it is either but the shape of the egg was a Atelomycterus. I've seen a few different versions on the adult coloring. I pretty sure it's a female but at the 3 month mark I'll probably know more. If he keeps some of the bands I'll be happy about it. He was sold to me as a brown banded bamboo but thats not correct. I'll post update on his color change as he gets larger.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great if it's already eating for you... that is generally the hardest part. In my experience with hatchlings, they seem pretty darn hardy once they know that food is good.

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the little guy?
He's eating LRS nano frenzy and shrimp and gaining some size. I'm getting another sometime this week a little larger. He's eating good, I'm feeding him two days on and one day off he really likes the LRS I figure it is probably the best thing I could give him for variety. I'll attach a better pic when the light goes out but current pic at the moment. He goes into his pool soon I want him to gain some size and be used to eating from me before he has tons of room. Not sure if anyone has alot of experience sending these sharks overnight but I had one get sent a few weeks ago and arrive dead. Looked like a healthy male not sure why he didn't make it . Maybe they don't ship well especially wild caught? Assuming it was wc

Attachments

• IMG_20211101_103630008.jpg
    IMG_20211101_103630008.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 79

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious, how big is the pond you plan on housing him in. I’m just trying to learn something. If you want you can pm me the answer. I don’t want be the cause of post about the size of the pond.

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious, how big is the pond you plan on housing him in. I’m just trying to learn something. If you want you can pm me the answer. I don’t want be the cause of post about the size of the pond.
6ft x 6ft x 2ft. I'm not going to disagree with giving sharks huge tanks but im not going to treat them like they are black tip reef sharks with thousands and thousands of gallons. I built this pool for around 60 dollars. I think it's easier to keep tabs and manage a smaller enclosure. Another cheap way to keep them is a kiddie pool or stock tank. I will attach a pic or view of half the pool. It should be enough room to grow these guys out. Pool has live rock and large skimmer rated for 600gal. When these guys are full size they will probably get a pool a little bit bigger not sure on exact dimensions. You can build a large tank for really cheap. I don't actually want a tank too large for these guys it will just be a hassle to try and manage. As long as they are happy and not stressed about anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20211102_102243290.jpg
    IMG_20211102_102243290.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick pic of the hatched shark and the pool . He's in a breeder box netting until he's bigger size, it makes it easier to feed him and to know he's eating. I just added another so there's two coral cat sharks in here now. I will post pics soon of the new addition he is a little bit bigger probably 8-9 inches. He ate within about 5 or 6 hours after acclimating . Didn't get a chance to check sex though I completely forgot. The one I hatched from an egg looks like a female though when it's a bit bigger I'll check again. They really like LRS nano frenzy. Never gets turned down and it's healthy frozen.

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_015848481.jpg
    IMG_20211112_015848481.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20211112_015828363.jpg
    IMG_20211112_015828363.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20211112_015924933.jpg
    IMG_20211112_015924933.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the small netted box in a corner of the pool. He will get let out of there soon, depending on how fast he puts on some size

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back