OP
OP
cFloor

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was finer you could get a Sleeper Goby to get in the hard to reach places. I have Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade. It holds up to the high flow pretty well, and Sleeper Gobies can handle it. :D
I have been considering going with a finer grade of sand. I had reef flakes in my last tank and I was very happy with it. Not sure why i switched it up. I will also consider the sleeper gobie. I've heard they can keep the water cloudy, what is your experience?
Beautiful tank!

How are your bimaculatus behaving with your dispars? Do you have any other anthias in the mix?

Any issues with your angels and the corals? Looks like all of your corals are really mature so perhaps they can stand a little pruning even if they occasionally nip but I'd like to hear your experience.

Thank you. My two bimacs don't pay any attention to my dipars. In my tank, I have two bimacs and three dispars. The bimacs do chase each other a little from time to time but it's nothing serious.

Out of all of my angels, I think my golden is the only nipper I have. He doesn't cause any damage, but does nip at polyps here and there. I'm not too worried about it for now.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME Tank!! I love your fish selection and your corals look amazing! Great work

OP
OP
cFloor

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME Tank!! I love your fish selection and your corals look amazing! Great work
Thank you for the kind words. A lot of thought went into my fish selection over the years. I'm glad that you like it.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering going with a finer grade of sand. I had reef flakes in my last tank and I was very happy with it. Not sure why i switched it up. I will also consider the sleeper gobie. I've heard they can keep the water cloudy, what is your experience?

If you had sugar sand I would say that yeah the Goby will make the water cloudy, but not with coarser sand. For the first couple weeks the Goby will make the water cloudy in any tank because he's sifting sand full of detritus. Once he makes his rounds though the detritus will all be out of the sand and he will no longer make clouds. However, he will repetitively bury corals that are on the sand. One reason why I don't keep corals on the sand. :D

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very true on the sand shifting goby. It does just fine with the tropic Eden reefflakes. One of the four functional fishes that I always have in my tank - one tang (zebrasoma), one wrasse, lawnmower Benny and a sand shifting gobi.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An amazing tank!!! Great work. May I ask what your parameters are? And what color elements your using?

OP
OP
cFloor

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An amazing tank!!! Great work. May I ask what your parameters are? And what color elements your using?
thank you. The only parameter I check regularly is my Alk, which I try to keep at 8. My phosphates are always undetectable using a hanna, so I stopped testing for that a while ago. So basically salinity and Alk is all that's checked regularly. I also no longer dose color elements. I'm only putting b ionic 2 part and acropower into this tank at the moment with weekly 10% water changes.
If you had sugar sand I would say that yeah the Goby will make the water cloudy, but not with coarser sand. For the first couple weeks the Goby will make the water cloudy in any tank because he's sifting sand full of detritus. Once he makes his rounds though the detritus will all be out of the sand and he will no longer make clouds. However, he will repetitively bury corals that are on the sand. One reason why I don't keep corals on the sand. :D

Very true on the sand shifting goby. It does just fine with the tropic Eden reefflakes. One of the four functional fishes that I always have in my tank - one tang (zebrasoma), one wrasse, lawnmower Benny and a sand shifting gobi.

Thanks for the info! I keep getting tempted on a sand sifting goby but still haven't done it. My sand, since replacing it, has stayed clean enough for my liking.

OP
OP
cFloor

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated this thread. The tank has had some minor ups and downs but for the most part all is well. I upgraded skimmers recently, changed my sump to a 48"x48" tub and finally bought an apex.
Here's a quick video shot with my phone on the tank's 11 month bday.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
OP
cFloor

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, stunning is right! Great job! I'm loving all the fish with the large corals
thanks! Most of the corals and fish have been with me since the beginning of my previous tank a few years ago.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated this thread. The tank has had some minor ups and downs but for the most part all is well. I upgraded skimmers recently, changed my sump to a 48"x48" tub and finally bought an apex.
Here's a quick video shot with my phone on the tank's 11 month bday.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow just wow!

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very nice, you have some of my favorite fish also, Spot breast angels and white tail bristletooth tank. So nice thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
cFloor

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer!

Curious how much of the esv 2 part you dose per day?
Thanks! I'm currently dosing 214 ml of all and cal daily through a bubble magus doser.
Wow very nice, you have some of my favorite fish also, Spot breast angels and white tail bristletooth tank. So nice thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much, the genicanthus I have are: 1 male and 1 female caudovittatus and 2 female semifasciatus. I actually don't have a melanospilos in the tank, although I love that fish.
Wow! Those sps's are huge! Gorgeous!
Thanks, All these corals were in my previous tank, and some in the tank prior to that. All grown from frags over a few years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back