Chalice pricing and LE discussion thread.

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mallard, is this chalice better looking in person?

I'm not trying to be a hater here but it seems like an awfule lot of chalices are in the pipeline to become AE or LE and few of them have real star quality. I've refrained from saying this publically for a while now but I think in the long run it only hurts Tyree's credibility.

My lights are off for the night so I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow. Its considered a future LE/AE edition. Here is the only picture I can find of the seed colony. I got it at the Dallas Coral Farmers Market.

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
raffle_titanchalice_2008.jpg
[/FONT]

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with what EMC just said. Seem like every chalice that is posted has become a LE or AE. I think that in order to be a LE it has to be one of a kind not just any chalice.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with what EMC just said. Seem like every chalice that is posted has become a LE or AE. I think that in order to be a LE it has to be one of a kind not just any chalice.

I agree...

Last edited:

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I dont mean to side track the thread.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LE means more money....

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with the LE/AE name calling too as well as the watermelon varieties. IMO, if all the AE melons were placed in the same tank under the same lighting for a period of time, the majority of them would look the same. I have a number of AE's from a variety of sources and only a very small handful are significantly distinct from each other.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Tyree calls it a LE or WWC or whoever it is what it is and if they call it a LE or if I do thats my right in my opinion all corals are LE and the day you start thinking lesser corals are junk you may want to get out of the hobby.And as far as high prices if you dont pay it they will bring it down.

Last edited:

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, people may not like the pricing on corals but they inevitably dictate the price. It is all about supply and demand. Currently I would say we are seeing a fairly large expansion of the hobby with nano-reefs, so much so that they are driving prices of corals up like crazy. The whole LE/AE craze is also about supply and demand. These are suppose to be corals that few people have compared to the number of people that want them. Unfortunately one may feel a piece is worth no more than $25 but the next person sees it and will pay $75. Now the piece has a market value of $75 and the price will rise and fall with the number of people wanting the coral and just how much more over the next guy they willing to pay. But now the guy that wanted to only pay $25 is angry because the price jumped but thats just how the market works. No one should be angry about the prices. We set them. If you don't have the money to pay for some of the extraordinary prices then work out trades. If the Titan Chalice does go LE that doesn't mean its going to be $200 a frag, it'll depend on what people are willing to pay. So don't get angry about LE/AE it apart of the hobby now and it doesn't look like its going anywhere fast.

OP
OP
Emc

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not angry about LE/AE marketing. I'm simply suggesting that the people doing the marketing are shooting themselves in the feet by abusing the appellation "LE/AE" unless the coral truly warrants that distinction. The distinction becomes meaningless if the standards become low.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
auctions set the price on these corals weather it be ebay or reeffarmers, that's the nature of the beast.. so whomever bids he highest is actually setting the prices on these corals in most cases

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree that in the beginning it was all about different pieces that held their colors and if you feel a piece that is LE well isn't worth that distinction I can completely understand that. Unfortunately I'll use electronics as an example. To some people with limited knowledge (just going by name Sony/LE) feel that they are also getting the best by buying Sony. However with some research you find out that Sony is actually pretty terrible until you get into the very high end of their electronics. Even then there is whole other realm that most everyday buyers never know exists. But its all in the eye's of the buyer andnthe buyer may be extremely happy with their purchase. We here all do our diligent research and know what we do and don't like.

Last edited:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not angry about LE/AE marketing. I'm simply suggesting that the people doing the marketing are shooting themselves in the feet by abusing the appellation "LE/AE" unless the coral truly warrants that distinction. The distinction becomes meaningless if the standards become low.

I agree that the LE/AE is being a bit abused but people have the right to call it whatever they want, hobbyist and consumers are handcuffed, if you desire that piece then you gotta pay for it, I don't ever see that changing anytime soon

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, we really should start a new thread for letting off steam..call it the "The Chalice He Hate Me Thread"

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread saved once again from the verge of drama and whining, thanks to Kenny! Kenny, is the 2nd one orenji from eric?

OP
OP
Emc

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread saved once again from the verge of drama and whining, thanks to Kenny! Kenny, is the 2nd one orenji from eric?

lol. Funny how a legitimate question is considered "drama and whining." Vested interest Vince? Back to our regularly scheduled program. :crossedlips:

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh??? Could you shoot me a PM and clarify what you mean?

OP
OP
Emc

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I think what I mean is pretty clear. I'd be happy to start another thread and discuss this issue elsewhere in order to avoid dragging this one further off topic. I'm also just as happy to let it go. I'm not happy to allow legitimate disagreements and comments be labelled as "drama and whining" however.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I created this thread to move all the post talking about pricing and le stuff from the chalice show off thread to here. So now feel free to discuss.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back