Clam Myths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been importing and keeping clams for 20+ years and I continually hear the same myths about them. Unfortunately it's like that about a lot of things in this hobby. Someone somewhere years ago made a proclamation about something and forever forward that same statement is repeated and embellished until it becomes reefkeeping gospel. Many of these myths are being smashed in the new age of modern reefkeeping, but some will just not die.

I regularly do videos about clam care and try to put out my personal views on the subject. Despite handling many many thousands of clams and setting up clams farms in far off locations, I do not consider myself an expert. I dislike that term. Online everyone pretends to be an expert, in real life no one is. We all continually learn from ongoing experiences.

Here is one example:

If you have any clam related questions check out the video and my site. If there is something you are not sure about ask and I'll be glad to try to answer.

They are amazing creatures for sure!
Chimera.jpg
received_834362350723838~3.jpeg

This week we have 450 clams coming from the farm in Tahiti and the farm in Tonga. We have recently obtained the first aquaculture permit in Tonga and have already begun culturing clams there and hope to soon begin our new coral farm there.
20210515_110421.jpg

Last edited:

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any clam related questions check out the video and my site. If there is something you are not sure about ask and I'll be glad to try to answer.
I have a clam question: Where the heck do I get one with the bright red lines on it's shell and beautiful blue mantle like in your first pic? That thing is gorgeous.

And will it loose all it's color in my tank because I don't know what I'm doing?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clam question: Where the heck do I get one with the bright red lines on it's shell and beautiful blue mantle like in your first pic? That thing is gorgeous.

And will it loose all it's color in my tank because I don't know what I'm doing?

The red on the shell was just coraline algae growing on it, the shells are white. The colors of the mantles don't change, so a blue ckam will stay blue.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Dr. Mac Terzich for providing giant clam imports for Reeef2Reef hobbyist to purchase and enjoy.

I am envious of the fortunate folk who will be at Reefapalooza NY. I really do want to be there but sadly I won't.

Maybe next time! I will be watching your site for my dream turquois green shimmering clam.

Thanks for posting,
KrisReef.

Edit:
Wow, I missed that clam picture you posted below the video I watched. I have never seen a clam that didn't have bilateral symmetry before. How rare is that, or is it just a trick of the camera angle? I thought it might be photoshopped when I noticed.
Thanks again

Last edited:

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question: what bivalves other than clams are a) available and b) likely to survive?

I saw what appears to be scallop shells on tre thumbnail of the video you posted. Have you ever kept anything other than Maxima's and similar?

Flame scallops are available and cheap, but supposedly non-photosynthetic and usually starve without special care, or so I've read.

I have a muscle that came on my live rock that's done great for almost two years. He makes me hungry every time I look at the tank, but I've resisted so far. I'd love a tank full of bivalves though. I wonder how big a tank I would need to get a harvest without killing the colony?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Dr. Mac Terzich for providing giant clam imports for Reeef2Reef hobbyist to purchase and enjoy.

I am envious of the fortunate folk who will be at Reefapalooza NY. I really do want to be there but sadly I won't.

Maybe next time! I will be watching your site for my dream turquois green shimmering clam.

Thanks for posting,
KrisReef.

Edit:
Wow, I missed that clam picture you posted below the video I watched. I have never seen a clam that didn't have bilateral symmetry before. How rare is that, or is it just a trick of the camera angle? I thought it might be photoshopped when I noticed.
Thanks again

The Chimera clams are extremely rare. That is one I received about 12+ years ago.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question: what bivalves other than clams are a) available and b) likely to survive?

I saw what appears to be scallop shells on tre thumbnail of the video you posted. Have you ever kept anything other than Maxima's and similar?

Flame scallops are available and cheap, but supposedly non-photosynthetic and usually starve without special care, or so I've read.

I have a muscle that came on my live rock that's done great for almost two years. He makes me hungry every time I look at the tank, but I've resisted so far. I'd love a tank full of bivalves though. I wonder how big a tank I would need to get a harvest without killing the colony?

Sorry, I don't have experience with culturing mussels or oysters.

Back