Clownfish brook/ich?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning. How is the clown today?

Personally I don't like to use the same equipment. I purchase separate to use between the tanks but if you want to sanitize the equipment this is a great article below.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of this morning before leaving for work he was still swimming, so I'm remaining hopeful.

I'm not sure if you understand my question as it seems your responses are assuming I'm trying to use the same equipment for multiple setups but this is not the case. I am just trying to ask if as an example if I use a test kit on the infected tank, after the tank is fallow and I return the fish, does using that kit again run the risk of reintroducing the disease? Can brook live in the test tube used to test water? I'm not 100% of the life cycle and I don't want to Re infect that tank once it sits fallow for 8 weeks.

Morning. How is the clown today?

Personally I don't like to use the same equipment. I purchase separate to use between the tanks but if you want to sanitize the equipment this is a great article below.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pathot984

Was able to get an answer from hotrocks on the test kits so im good with them now. Do you know if the 30 day treatment cycle starts when the fish first enters the qt or once the copper is at full strength?

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I advise purchasing the test kit. 0.4 - 0.5PPM is considered true therapeutic levels. You should also slowly increase copper levels over a 3-4 day period, it is easier on your fish to acclimate to the medication.

I'd run fallow in DT for 8 weeks just to be safe, 2 additional weeks in nothing in the big picture. Trust me you don't want to be here again. In regards to cross contamination I suggest you don't utilize any of the same equipment between the tanks. What equipment specifically are you referring to besides your test kits?

In the spirit of following good qt procedures from now on, I did order a copper hanna tester and tank tested @ 0.25ppm so were right on the money.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating the thread: A little over a week into the copper treatment, clownfish situation is degrading rapidly. While the ich/velvet has not returned to the fish, he has started to reject food. When he went into copper, I was also feeding him general cure with focus in his frozen food, but after 4 days he refused to eat it. I then switched to regular food and as of last night he will not even eat regular food now. He is getting noticeable thinner ( I can see bones run down his side to his tail) and still has long white stringy poop. I am now running out of options and am going to start dosing general cure direct into the tank and pray I don't get a bloom as the copper treatment is not finished yet. I will keep this thread up to date with the outcome.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Day 3 of parasite treatment, added a dose of metroplex after 48hrs of general cure. Clown is back to eating like a pig! Will re-dose metro again in 48hrs and then 48hrs following that dose will be another general cure. At that point I will observe for white poop and if seen will start trying to feed medicated food.

Qt sprang a leak last night (not a major leak), so I went to petco and picked up a 10g tank to replace it. This is actually a decent time as we are about to hit the 2 week copper mark and at this point I should be allowed to transfer the clown into a clean tank for observation. The transfer will happen on friday so I do not interrupt the parasite treatment cycle. The only hiccup for me is I do not have any spare equipment to run this second tank, so the current qt equipment will have to be put on that tank, which could potentially bring the velvet into the new qt. I will do my best to freshwater dip the equipment and maybe that will be enough. Worst case if the velvet comes back in the new 10g qt, I atleast have chloroquine phospate on hand now and will try that instead of copper. As always, I will update in a few days with progress.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back