Clownfish brook/ich?

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cross-posting this here from the original thread, as it went from slighty bad to much worse and really need help with id/treatment options asap.

Last edited:

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get pictures and water params?

Is it just the same symptoms as the post or is it a similar story where it's an older fish in a new tank. Please post all symptoms you see

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get pictures and water params?

Is it just the same symptoms as the post or is it a similar story where it's an older fish in a new tank. Please post all symptoms you see

That thread is my thread, posted pics on the last post to that thread, but ill make it easier and repost it here.

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

@Old Fritz any insight?

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions on the new tank:

Did you add anything wet from another system that didn't belong to you? Like live sand, rock, coral, etc?

Did you QT this fish when you got it a couple years back?

Couple things could be going on, 1 is that there was something in the new tank parasitic that is now afflicting the fish (Brook is always my first thought anytime there are spots on a clown).

Second could be that the fish already was living with the parasites in your existing tank prior to the move and the tank switch caused enough stress or immune system reduction that the parasite has now gained headway.

Until you can narrow down exactly what it is you are dealing with it is tough to recommend a treatment.

Do the spots look like they are getting larger? Does it look at all like skin peeling off? Early brook can be tough to diagnose as it can look very similar to ich/velvet in the early stages.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions on the new tank:

Did you add anything wet from another system that didn't belong to you? Like live sand, rock, coral, etc?

Did you QT this fish when you got it a couple years back?

Couple things could be going on, 1 is that there was something in the new tank parasitic that is now afflicting the fish (Brook is always my first thought anytime there are spots on a clown).

Second could be that the fish already was living with the parasites in your existing tank prior to the move and the tank switch caused enough stress or immune system reduction that the parasite has now gained headway.

Until you can narrow down exactly what it is you are dealing with it is tough to recommend a treatment.

Do the spots look like they are getting larger? Does it look at all like skin peeling off? Early brook can be tough to diagnose as it can look very similar to ich/velvet in the early stages.

Rock was dry rock, sand was brand new live sand. 2 frags from the lfs but that was after I noticed the white specs. Clown was not qt, was not super knowledgeable at the time and the lfs assured me it was copper treated but livestock in the first tank was from multiple stores and is possible the dt got Infected, never saw any signs in the old tank. I agree the stress of moving caused the flare up.

The first problem I noticed with heaving breathing and his mouth moving rapidly was white poop, which made me think internal parasites. I just started using api gc and focus on his food when I noticed that now he is starting to show white specs all over his body. The pics aren't great but can somewhat make out the specs near his top fin closer to the head. I have also noticed some weird behavior such as him shaking and seems way more active with the light off. I have never dealt with ich, velvet,brook etc so I honestly dont know what to do but I would really hate to lose this guy after all the time I have had him.

Not sure if this is anything to note, but it does seem that he is also getting black discoloration in some of his normally orange skin near what would be his forehead.
@HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread your original thread and this is probably something that came from your other tank. Do you have any other fish or is this the only fish?

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to get a better shot tonight, looks much worse from yesterday almost the entire body now covered in white specs, and honestly im freaking out, maybe this pic will help someone help me.
thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered cp, can't find a quick source for rally so I am going to freshwaterdip and then hospital him in cp. hopefully he makes it long enough for the meds to get here.

Does anyone know if i can continue feeding him general cure with focus while in the cp or will cp treat the internal parasites if he has any?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like you're dealing with velvet. You'll need to act fast. When does your CP arrive?

Also this is great overview below on CP and how to proper administer from Humblefish. Yes you can feed GC + focus. Keep nutrition high by using selcon or zoecon with garlic guard.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like you're dealing with velvet. You'll need to act fast. When does your CP arrive?

Also this is great overview below on CP and how to proper administer from Humblefish. Yes you can feed GC + focus. Keep nutrition high by using selcon or zoecon with garlic guard.

Fingers crossed it should be here via usps for Saturday, I pray it's enough time but I have heard velvet is a quick killer.

Anything I can do in the meantime to slow it down? Would a freshwater dip help?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FWD would provide temp relief but Saturday is too long in my opinion. Can you pick up copper from your local fish store?

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FWD would provide temp relief but Saturday is too long in my opinion. Can you pick up copper from your local fish store?

Yes I just got a bottle on my split and will start treatment tonight. I'm going to FWD and then transfer straight to copper qt, as I can't source rally in time and I'm not comfortable using formalin. I will be following humblefishs post for treatment procedure. Im aware that without a chemical bath, there is not a high chance this is successful, but I have to work with what I have and can do in the little time I have to treat.

Reached out to seachem about their copper product and they were extremely helpful with all my questions in regards to dos and don't with the product. Have used their products before, and won't stop any time soon.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cupramine and its a great product you just need to be sure you have a good test kit. API doesn’t work with cupramine so you’ll get Seachem test, Hanna checker, or Salifert

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cupramine and its a great product you just need to be sure you have a good test kit. API doesn’t work with cupramine so you’ll get Seachem test, Hanna checker, or Salifert

My lfs advised me to not bother with a test kit, since seachem is very accurate with dosage instructions. Seachem advised me that half dose is 0.25 and is theraptuic at that level, while full dose is 0.5. They said its not safe above 0.8 so it seems I have plenty of wiggle room.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: Clown went through a 5 minute fw dip, then went into a hospital tank with cupramine, will re-dose in 48 hrs to bring tank to full strength of meds.

@pathot984 any insight on what to do with the main tank while it is fallow in regards to sterilizing equipment? For example, I will still need to test the water to keep params in check so how do i prevent that same stuff from re-infecting the tank after the 6 week period?

thumbnail (1).jpg

I want to thank everyone involved with any part of trying to help me through this highly stressful experience, I don't know what I would do without all of you and I sincerely thank all of you for your time and insights.

@bluprntguy @pathot984 @HotRocks @Rouxdog @Robink (hopefully I didn't miss anyone)

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs advised me to not bother with a test kit, since seachem is very accurate with dosage instructions. Seachem advised me that half dose is 0.25 and is theraptuic at that level, while full dose is 0.5. They said its not safe above 0.8 so it seems I have plenty of wiggle room.

I advise purchasing the test kit. 0.4 - 0.5PPM is considered true therapeutic levels. You should also slowly increase copper levels over a 3-4 day period, it is easier on your fish to acclimate to the medication.

update: Clown went through a 5 minute fw dip, then went into a hospital tank with cupramine, will re-dose in 48 hrs to bring tank to full strength of meds.

@pathot984 any insight on what to do with the main tank while it is fallow in regards to sterilizing equipment? For example, I will still need to test the water to keep params in check so how do i prevent that same stuff from re-infecting the tank after the 6 week period?

thumbnail (1).jpg

I want to thank everyone involved with any part of trying to help me through this highly stressful experience, I don't know what I would do without all of you and I sincerely thank all of you for your time and insights.

@bluprntguy @pathot984 @HotRocks @Rouxdog @Robink (hopefully I didn't miss anyone)

I'd run fallow in DT for 8 weeks just to be safe, 2 additional weeks in nothing in the big picture. Trust me you don't want to be here again. In regards to cross contamination I suggest you don't utilize any of the same equipment between the tanks. What equipment specifically are you referring to besides your test kits?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I advise purchasing the test kit. 0.4 - 0.5PPM is considered true therapeutic levels. You should also slowly increase copper levels over a 3-4 day period, it is easier on your fish to acclimate to the medication.

I'd run fallow in DT for 8 weeks just to be safe, 2 additional weeks in nothing in the big picture. Trust me you don't want to be here again. In regards to cross contamination I suggest you don't utilize any of the same equipment between the tanks. What equipment specifically are you referring to besides your test kits?

I'm worried about re-infecting the same tank with its own equipment after the fallow period. Test kits, buckets and a pump for water change would be the extent that I can think of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back