Clownfish Emergency!

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acclimated my clown of 2 years into a new nano tank and he is currently hanging out in the corner of the tank, breathing rapidly and opening and closing his mouth rapidly. The tank was emergency dosed with prime, and I ran an airline off an air pump into the tank incase it was a shortage of O2. Is this normaly behavior for a clown being introduced into a new tank, as I don't remember this the first time. Would really appreciate any help as I would be devastated to lose my buddy after all this time.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you've had him for 2 years I'm guessing you have checked parameters that would affect him. If everything checks out I would think it is stress.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you've had him for 2 years I'm guessing you have checked parameters that would affect him. If everything checks out I would think it is stress.

Params are within reason for a freshly cycled tank, used fritz turbostart900 (bottled and chilled version) to kickstart the cycle and from what I have read most people put a fish in that day. I kept the tank fishless for a few days after and dosed ammonia to keep the bacteria alive, tank can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24hrs so I can't imagine anything else being a problem here. Here is hoping he pulls through, this is my little bud.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any ammonia with the fish in there, he'll do that. I would just keep checking ammonia to make sure it's not creeping up on you, maybe get an ammonia badge. Clownfish are pretty hardy. Hoping all goes well for you.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since it's freshly cycled did it go through the nitrite cycle? what's that testing at?

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any ammonia with the fish in there, he'll do that. I would just keep checking ammonia to make sure it's not creeping up on you, maybe get an ammonia badge. Clownfish are pretty hardy. Hoping all goes well for you.
Right, not dosing ammonia with him in now. Was just saying I wanted to verify there was a satisfactory bb level before putting him in. Ammonia badge is currently reading safe, and as I type this he is just starting to explore the tank!

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good. Hopefully just stressed from moving.
Just keep an eye on nitrites as well as ammonia.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Situation has taken a turn, I noticed white poop yesterday and thought he might have internal parasites, so I started api GC with focus for his food and tonight I come home to find him covered in white specs all on his right side. I am going to assume this is brook or ich and possibly internal parasites as well. really need advice on what to do, as I don't have a qt setup and I'm now assuming this brand new tank is infected.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Last edited:

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he is in a tank started with dry rock. Was there anything in it the new tank could have gotten infected?

Assuming the answer is no, I’d guess that he always had ich and the stress of the relocation Just aggravated it.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he is in a tank started with dry rock. Was there anything in it the new tank could have gotten infected?

Assuming the answer is no, I’d guess that he always had ich and the stress of the relocation Just aggravated it.

I would agree but a member on here I'd it as velvet, as today it spread to most of his body. Unfortunately I don't have the meds to treat him and Idk if he is going to survive long enough for them to show up. This is absolutely ripping my heart to shreds.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree but a member on here I'd it as velvet, as today it spread to most of his body. Unfortunately I don't have the meds to treat him and Idk if he is going to survive long enough for them to show up. This is absolutely ripping my heart to shreds.

Just saw the other thread (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-brook-ich.644820/). hotrocks pretty much went down the road I was heading.

It does kinda look like velvet, but it could be ich too. If you don’t have anything on hand, a 5 minute freshwater dip is your best defense on either.

Reefadict64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acclimated my clown of 2 years into a new nano tank and he is currently hanging out in the corner of the tank, breathing rapidly and opening and closing his mouth rapidly. The tank was emergency dosed with prime, and I ran an airline off an air pump into the tank incase it was a shortage of O2. Is this normaly behavior for a clown being introduced into a new tank, as I don't remember this the first time. Would really appreciate any help as I would be devastated to lose my buddy after all this time.

I was going to say o2 but u said you ran an air line through, although unlikely it could be. Due to ammonia so I would definitely get that checked out since the symptoms are there. Hope this helps

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params are within reason for a freshly cycled tank, used fritz turbostart900 (bottled and chilled version) to kickstart the cycle and from what I have read most people put a fish in that day. I kept the tank fishless for a few days after and dosed ammonia to keep the bacteria alive, tank can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24hrs so I can't imagine anything else being a problem here. Here is hoping he pulls through, this is my little bud.
I may have missed it but did we confirm that a nitrite test was done to ensure the system was fully cycled? quick starting a system using beneficial bacteria doesn't always mean you're able to throw fish in immediately and adding ammonia to a tank that isn't fully cycled could result in overwhelming the system.
I would expect a fish introduced prematurely would show obvious signs of distress.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say o2 but u said you ran an air line through, although unlikely it could be. Due to ammonia so I would definitely get that checked out since the symptoms are there. Hope this helps
Was not ammonia, was most likely ich or velvet.

How is the clown doing?
He is 2 days away from going back to the nano. Fallow ends on 11/21. He is happy and healthy for the most part, only concerning thing is I just noticed today he has a few spots in his white stripe, I am going to guess lateral line disease or hole in head disease (believe they are the same). I read it is possible for this to happen after copper treatment and will go away on its own so I have no started any new treatment on the hospital tank.
I may have missed it but did we confirm that a nitrite test was done to ensure the system was fully cycled? quick starting a system using beneficial bacteria doesn't always mean you're able to throw fish in immediately and adding ammonia to a tank that isn't fully cycled could result in overwhelming the system.
I would expect a fish introduced prematurely would show obvious signs of distress.

Full test were done, parameters were fine at the time. Ending up being a combo of internal parasites and velvet or ice. The stress from the move triggered these most likely.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not ammonia, was most likely ich or velvet.

He is 2 days away from going back to the nano. Fallow ends on 11/21. He is happy and healthy for the most part, only concerning thing is I just noticed today he has a few spots in his white stripe, I am going to guess lateral line disease or hole in head disease (believe they are the same). I read it is possible for this to happen after copper treatment and will go away on its own so I have no started any new treatment on the hospital tank.

Full test were done, parameters were fine at the time. Ending up being a combo of internal parasites and velvet or ice. The stress from the move triggered these most likely.
So glad to read he made it

Back