contemplating-

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the next two years...i'm looking at building a 72" GLASS tank, 18" tall, and 24" wide (135 gallons)

hopes & dreams: interested in keeping a few tang species (yellow, kole, powder blue tang, etc.). mixed reef.

DIY floating hood and black box LED units.

i have priced this out at around $400 for standard glass. i would diy build the stand. it would be drilled for both ends to have ghost overflow and two returns drilled equidistant to the middle.

using the garf.org site it calls for EURO bracing and 1/4" thick glass.

the questions i have:

1. height/width - sentiments on these dimensions?
2. building out of 1/4" glass - these large sheets obviously call for extra hands. but overall - how doable is this?

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the next two years...i'm looking at building a 72" GLASS tank, 18" tall, and 24" wide (135 gallons)

hopes & dreams: interested in keeping a few tang species (yellow, kole, powder blue tang, etc.). mixed reef.

DIY floating hood and black box LED units.

i have priced this out at around $400 for standard glass. i would diy build the stand. it would be drilled for both ends to have ghost overflow and two returns drilled equidistant to the middle.

using the garf.org site it calls for EURO bracing and 1/4" thick glass.

the questions i have:

1. height/width - sentiments on these dimensions?
2. building out of 1/4" glass - these large sheets obviously call for extra hands. but overall - how doable is this?

Mine is 72*24*24" in 10mm (0.4") glass with euro bracing. Yours is essentially the same though a bit less water depth so thinner glass. Calculator seems spot on.

Why not go the full 24" height? :)

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With $400 and bargian hunting, you could probably find a brand new mass produced tank. I spent $300 on a new Aqueon 125 around Thanksgiving. Just sayin, save a headache. ;)

OP
OP
Pinback

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With $400 and bargian hunting, you could probably find a brand new mass produced tank. I spent $300 on a new Aqueon 125 around Thanksgiving. Just sayin, save a headache. ;)

I want the rimless look without the rimless cost.... But it is an option to go with store bought tank. Thanks!

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 this! You can find deals on these a lot of times... tank and stand

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I would use 1/4" for that, even with eurobrace. My rimmed 38 gallon is made with thicker glass than that.

I made a rimless DIY sump from free scrap glass. It's about 25" x 15" x 15" made from 1/4" glass sides, 3/8" glass bottom. It bowed 1/8" in the middle when full during leak test. With all the glass baffles in it now, it won't bow. But it was interesting to see how much it bowed prior to baffles.

I would think it would be worth while to just buy a rimless from Planet Aquariums, and use your time and efforts on other areas of the build.

OP
OP
Pinback

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I would use 1/4" for that, even with eurobrace. My rimmed 38 gallon is made with thicker glass than that.

I made a rimless DIY sump from free scrap glass. It's about 25" x 15" x 15" made from 1/4" glass sides, 3/8" glass bottom. It bowed 1/8" in the middle when full during leak test. With all the glass baffles in it now, it won't bow. But it was interesting to see how much it bowed prior to baffles.

I would think it would be worth while to just buy a rimless from Planet Aquariums, and use your time and efforts on other areas of the build.

So you're saying that I should put baffles in my display tank???[emoji23]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back