Cooling a 6 gallon Nano???

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers -

I'm in the planning stages of an Office Nano that will be rite on the desk. It will be as simple as possible.
2 Clowns, Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair for stocking.
Corals will be GSP, Xenia, Clove polyps & Zoas if possible (based on solution to the cooling issues).

Basically Softies ONLY.
Light will be Lominie Reef light P30.
Kamoer ATO.
Sicce Syncra Nano return
SLW-10 for wavemaker.

The biggest challenge I have is cooling. Just to give a background of the surroundings.

a. Office is on a penthouse 6th floor
b. The temperatures in summers reach around 110F -115F, typical Texas, Arizona heat.
c. During weekdays, AC will be ON to maintain the temperature of the room @ 78F, NO PROBLEM.
d. Worry is the weekends. We work 5 days for 2 weeks and 6 days for 2 weeks. What to do in summers and this elevated temperature
problem is for 5-6 months of the year March - August.

So how to cool the system. I wont be needing a heater, just need to cool this down, Will it impact any of the live stock?
Im looking for cost effective solutions that work.

KINDLY throw some light on this issue.

@ReefSquad #reefsquad

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into get a fish chiller? They make all different sizes and there are some smaller ones that you can hide away from the tank.

Also, you can go to Amazon, eBay, BRS and search for aquarium chiller. They come in all different sizes and prices.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into get a fish chiller? They make all different sizes and there are some smaller ones that you can hide away from the tank.

Also, you can go to Amazon, eBay, BRS and search for aquarium chiller. They come in all different sizes and prices.
@ScottR The only chiller i can get here is a Hailea 100A. Its close to 300$ and plumbing it will be a challenge as this Nano will be an AIO.

Im looking for what other ways to cool the tank other than chiller. Do fans really work? Is surface agitation enough

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the temps are high, in the hundreds like that, a fan most likely isn’t going to do much. Perhaps help to blow the heat from the lamp away. I’d look into a used one if you can.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During last summers heat wave here in Sweden I had a fan directed at the surface of my 40g cube, and it did wonders for the temperature! Also floating frozen water bottles worked, or letting frozen cubes of rodi water melt in the tank worked. If using a fan be prepared to top off alot since the evaporation increases.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Florida even with my A/C on 24/7 sometimes my 180 tank temperature goes up due to all the pumps , wave makers bio churn, and reactors. I always keep many RODI water in doubled zip lock bags in my deep freezer for emergency to lower temperature. I started that after, a hurricane hit us and we didn't have electric for 5 days it saved my tank when the generator stopped working due to no availability of gas

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK @ScottR will look into a used one if possible. Once a chiller is ON, then the softie options are endless.
If the temps are high, in the hundreds like that, a fan most likely isn’t going to do much. Perhaps help to blow the heat from the lamp away. I’d look into a used one if you can

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small aquarium cooling fan mounted above my Evo 13.5.
Its only a single unit but they make them in 1,2,3 and 4 fan versions. It has high and low speeds and they mount right to the rim of the tank ( I chose to suspend mine) and they are inexpensive.
3455E05E-6E1E-446A-8082-79036AF796D6.jpeg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My head is leaning toward a piezo electric cooling unit. 110F is too hot for fans to work at all. Fans use ambient temperature to dissipate heat but with the air around the tank being far hotter than the water... You get it.

Check out this
I have no clue how you could do it but I do have one of these units I bought when looking at a frozen food dispenser. It gets cold and you could easily mount a titanium rod to the cooling pad or set it against the glass. Normally these won't do anything to a large tank... but a nano just might work.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small aquarium cooling fan mounted above my Evo 13.5.
Its only a single unit but they make them in 1,2,3 and 4 fan versions. It has high and low speeds and they mount right to the rim of the tank ( I chose to suspend mine) and they are inexpensive.
3455E05E-6E1E-446A-8082-79036AF796D6.jpeg
This looks great. I do hear the idea of the fan. What is the temp typically in Summer?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks great. I do hear the idea of the fan. What is the temp typically in Summer?
It’s rare but we have had 100* days here. If you check them out on Amazon, I believe they list the amount of degrees they will drop the temp for each model. I have mine hooked to the cooling side of my Inkbird controller.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not sound like a solution you would want, but years ago (when I was using halide light on a 20g tank in my office) I had to find a way to cool it. I ended up using 1/4" hose ran from the tank to my mini fridge and a big coil in the refrigerator section of the mini fridge and back to the tank(putting it in the freezer section required much smaller coil... but also froze the line when it was not circulating).

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NeonRabbit221B so I've seen how this works. But i think for this to effectively work it has to be water cooled vs. air cooled. Ill research a little more on the DIY aspect of building something like this
My head is leaning toward a piezo electric cooling unit. 110F is too hot for fans to work at all. Fans use ambient temperature to dissipate heat but with the air around the tank being far hotter than the water... You get it.

Check out this
I have no clue how you could do it but I do have one of these units I bought when looking at a frozen food dispenser. It gets cold and you could easily mount a titanium rod to the cooling pad or set it against the glass. Normally these won't do anything to a large tank... but a nano just might work.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NeonRabbit221B so I've seen how this works. But i think for this to effectively work it has to be water cooled vs. air cooled. Ill research a little more on the DIY aspect of building something like this
yeah I never got far with it. Might be able to just press it against the back glass and reduce amperage through it to 3A and try. Just a different idea.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, why are you putting 2 clownfish in a 6g???
@Dark_Knightt ,The 2 clown fish in have in my 50G, hand around the overflow and don't move anywhere. Quiet frankly these tank raised clownfish host nothing. So thought to move them here and get wild caught ones for my tank. It doesn't matter about the fish selection rite now, that was just a thought. it can be a fire fish or another goby vs. clowns. Im more worried about the temperature maintenance aspect of it now,

If I cant arrive at a COST EFFECTIVE solution that will work, then there is no NANO tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back