Coral condos: Do you use frag racks?

Do you use frag racks?

• Yes, I currently use three or more frag racks.

Votes: 56 17.9%
  • Yes, I currently one or two frag racks.

Votes: 126 40.4%
  • No, but I have used frag racks in the past.

Votes: 42 13.5%
  • No, I have never used a frag rack.

Votes: 82 26.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral condos: Do you use frag racks?

Frag racks can be used for a variety of purposes from a way to increase the real estate in your tank, a place to put a few new corals, a decorative way to add corals to the sides or back of your tank, and much more. Some reef keepers use frag racks for purely utilitarian purposes and others have integrated the frag racks into the aesthetic of their aquascaping, Please let us know if you use frag racks and, if so, how do you use them in your tank. Additionally, we welcome you to share pictures of your frag racks in action!

Pro Tip: When purchasing frag racks, look for options with high quality magnets where the casing won’t break down and leach metals into the water. Also, look for racks that can accept different size frag plugs but will still secure the frag plug in place.

sunken3_fragrack.png

Photo by @sunken3

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 80g growout has racks elevated 1.5" across the bottom.
Easy to clean with super flow.
I use a 1.5" tall rack in my 20g to keep all the rock off the BB and it creates flow from up between the rocks.
20230613_162957.jpg
20230617_150612.jpg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now only have frag racks in my frag tanks. My reef displays are for me to enjoy a more natural looking environment. I find it easier to tend to the frags as well when they are in their own tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built myself a all in one frag rack that sits in my sump… no racks in my display, I don’t care for them.. on the other hand not everyone has the Luxury of a 125 gallon sump sitting under there tank. 12x17 rack, holds 80 frags with plenty of space and has a built in light holder ran on reverse cycle of my tank to help with ph. I came up with this idea as it’s mobile and I can take it anywhere or use it anywhere there’s salt water haha!
IMG_0279.jpeg
CA2AE5D0-0E27-4E5B-AF0D-3C926F72BCE1.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0399.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a couple of racks but have a tank of colonies

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
For my display I use @Aquarocks which, if you're not familiar, look them up! These are great and fit in with the rock work nicely. Their single plug holders are especially ingenious. Otherwise I don't particularly like the look of racks in a display. That being said my coral QT tank is lined with Mag Racks, which cost aside, are great for utility applications.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i use up to two frag races at a time. usually only one. will probably have to invest in a longer one to make up for the two i have

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fragged this Torch.

20230625_152931.jpg

20230627_133114.jpg

Thus Hammer is up next, although these guys won't be very impressed!

20230612_150039.jpg

And the only place this Elegance thrives is on this rack...
20230625_152118.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT/Iso tank that I use to observe new fish and corals. So thats basically a big rack made with egg crate. In my DT I have one frag rack that I use when I’m transferring corals into the DT. I like to let them acclimate and see how they are doing before gluing them in place. Takes a bit longer but not a big deal to me.

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have a small 10-gallon frag tank that will be mostly made up of racks at various PAR levels so I can get them used to various PAR levels slowly of where I want to put them in the tank or match where they were in the tank PAR wise if I need to revive them in there or something. I find the frag racks easier to get more uniform placements for something like that.

Though, with my display tank, I only plan on having one that is adjustable in height so I can finish acclimating them to the lighting in the display tank and monitor them for a few weeks before actually gluing them where I plan on putting them. But I like the more natural look of frags stuck to the rocks themselves for my display plan.

This is still a few months in the future, but I have already bought a nice clear acrylic frag rack with magnets that I like for the display. I hope it makes it seem less intrusive when it's in the display tank. Then for the frag tank just plan on using more cut/glued egg crates that are secured at various heights.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hate frag racks but I'm currently using 3 (hammers, torches and misc) to temporarily hold all the new inhabitants in my tank remodel. I just got another tank up and running to hold my RBTA's, clowns, excess rock and whatever else. Hopefully in the next week or two I can start emptying those racks and placing stuff. Most frag racks just suck. Inadequate magnets, don't hold plugs securely, flex etc. The one below, with the elongated magnet and plug holders, I picked up at RAP Orlando is probably the best yet and only one to move smoothly when you need to clean glass w/o falling off. I added 3 new hammers( front orange, canary and a green purple graft) to it today along with that mangy free duncan up front.
fr1.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel it takes away from the aesthetics of the main DT. Reminds me of a house that is perpetually under construction. Temp is fine when acclimatizing corals but long term is no bueno for me. Frag tank is the way to go. But some folks just don’t have the room for one.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze stone magnetic frag racks. It’s a great way to add real estate to your aquascape without detracting from a natural esthetic, and it adds height.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back